Thread: Three-story building to house upscale apartments, retail space

Three-story building to house upscale apartments, retail space

Work has begun on a new $1.2 million commercial/residential project in the 500-block of Buffalo's Elmwood Avenue.
    Crews are digging the foundations for a new three-story building at 504 Elmwood Ave., near the intersection of Elmwood and Utica avenues.

When complete this summer, the structure will feature 2,300 square feet of retail space, plus a handicap-accessible studio apartment on the ground floor. The upper floors will house eight, upscale apartments.

The project is the brainchild of three long-time Elmwood Avenue advocates, attorney Michael Ferdman, architect Karl Frizlen, and contractor Paul Johnson, working together at FJF LLC.

Ferdman, who served many years as president of Forever Elmwood, said the idea came out of conversations between he and Frizlen about targeting a derelict building on Elmwood Avenue for transformation.

"The idea was that instead of urging someone else to upgrade their building, we'd take it on ourselves," Ferdman said.

Forever Elmwood Executive Director Justin Azzerella supports that goal.

"A great mixed use project is exactly what we are encouraging on Elmwood Avenue and we think this one will be phenomenal," Azzerella said.

Even as bulldozers were excavating the site, the development team started to get inquiries from prospective retail and residential tenants.

"Our goal for the first floor is to bring in a tenant that would add something new to the community. We would prefer to have something other than a restaurant, hair salon or gift shop," Ferdman said.

The 400 to 500 blocks of Elmwood Avenue are currently experiencing a turnover in retail tenants, including the upcoming closure of Pier One Imports, at 495 Elmwood Ave., which has been one of the street's anchors for two decades.

Artcrafters Gallery, at 472 Elmwood Ave., another veteran retailer, is preparing to close its doors and is having a going-out-of-business sale. And a Subway Sandwich shop sits idle a few doors away.

The block has also welcomed BeYouTiful, a new women's apparel shop at 513 Elmwood Ave. which debuted in last December. The store, owned by Jetaun Jones, offers "contemporary chic" clothing.

The new building features two upper floors of balconied residential units. The second floor will have four one-bedroom, and two two-bedroom apartments, ranging in size from 600 to 850 square feet of space.

The third floor will have four loft-style units with as many as three bedrooms, ranging in size from 800 to 1,100 square feet. All of the dwellings will be accessed from a central stair tower at the rear of the building.

The Community Preservation Corp., a nonprofit, private mortgage firm, is providing some $900,000 in construction and long-term financing.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...31/1051384.asp
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Is there any worry that the project will be too tall, blocking out sun (such as it is in WNY)?

I couldnt get the picture to post but if you follow the link they have a pic
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Originally posted by WestCoastPerspective
    Trust me. I have no complaints. Just don't want whatever sun there is to be blocked out by high buildings. otherwise, sounds totally great to me. I live in Williamsville, and wish we had something like that here.

Unregistered
    I like it .. It blends in nicely with the surroundings. I'm assuming that pic depicts what that part of Elmwood Ave looks like .. cause I've yet to find a tour guide .. lol

three stories should block what little sun we get

Originally posted by WestCoastPerspective
    show off

Originally posted by RaginTaxpayer
    I like it .. It blends in nicely with the surroundings. I'm assuming that pic depicts what that part of Elmwood Ave looks like .. cause I've yet to find a tour guide .. lol

three stories should block what little sun we get
    This new building is across the street from the 15 +/- story apartment building at the corner of Utica and Elmwood. There isn't a sunlight blocking issue here.

I don't understand where these sunlight concerns are coming from... we're talking about a 3-story building here.

The Elmwood design guidelines encourage new buildings to be between 2 and 5 stories.

Originally posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    Is there any worry that the project will be too tall, blocking out sun (such as it is in WNY)?
    You've got to be kidding me. Where did you grow up... Alden??

Originally posted by RaginTaxpayer
    I'm assuming that pic depicts what that part of Elmwood Ave looks like .. cause I've yet to find a tour guide .. lol
    Ragin, if you want to see Elmwood you should just head down there on any saturday. The nicer part of the strip is roughly between Forest and Bryant.

Those buildings in the rendering are between Utica and Hodge.

Saturdays are better than Sundays because more of the stores are open

Thread Information