Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free College Education for prisoners..

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    What if this saves money? Would people support it rather than having a knee jerk reaction to it?

If it costs $60,000 a year to incarcerate, but prisoners leaving jail have a 40% recidivism rate with an average incarceration length of 2.5 years, each prisoner has an expected future cost of $60,000.

Now earning college degrees almost certainly reduces recidivism (Buffalo Pundit cited a study showing showing it dropping from 40% to 4%). So if this $5,000 cost reduced recidivism from 40% to 20% and the average length of returned incarceration of 2 years, each prisoner who completed their degree expected future cost would drop to $24,000. Adding in the cost of the degree that would be a $31,000 savings per prisoner.

Even if the completion was one in three, there would still be a savings of $21,000.

I would like to see more hard numbers on completion rates, recidivism and length of incarceration on return, but isn't this a smart way to save the state money and reduce crime as well?
    I think if you separate the FREE component and find another way to educate the incarcerated there would not be such opposition. Even if the savings is there, and I see that it is, it's still not fair. As so many people like to use the term 'fair share' that needs to apply to those who have been convicted as well. You can't reward people for making mistakes just because it makes it easier on you. That's like a parent not disciplining their kids, say grounding them for the weekend, because doing so would force the parents to give up plans for something fun for the whole family.

What if they were to say:

If you are incarcerated for a non-violent offense and say have a 10 year sentence. You would be able to reduce that sentence by 4 years if you completed a college degree AND when you got out you were required to provide 4160hrs (8hrs/week/10yrs) of community service over 10 years. That service could be as simple as cleaning up parks or removing graffiti or any of the other small items that would go a very long way to making a community better. Not only would the state save the $240K in incarceration costs but the community as a whole would pick up $42,016 ($10.10x4160) in labor.

This would remove the FREE element to it and thus remove the reasonable opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy View Post
    How does this create a disincentive to break the law?
    Let them bars close behind you just once and you will know.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Let them bars close behind you just once and you will know.

Well apparently with the rates of return visitors to prison it can't be that bad......

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Well apparently with the rates of return visitors to prison it can't be that bad......
    It worked with me....
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

You think Prisoners getting an education in prison is something new????????
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    It worked with me....
    Me too. 5 days in county and I'm NEVER going back
    HipKat's Blog

My first question is why does it only cost " $5,000 " for a prisoner to get a degree ?

Please show me where my young adults can get a collage degree - room and board - free food - health care for $5000.00?

OH - I forgot - they can just commit a crime !

What the hell is Gov.Cuomo thinking ?

New bumper sticker :
    "FELONS FAMILIES FOR CUOMO
    "
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Me too. 5 days in county and I'm NEVER going back
    Scarey place for sure. Imagine life with no possibility of parole - phew.... There are a few things I would go back for, mess with my grand kids or mom or wife or pastor. That is the only thing......

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    What .... is Gov.Cuomo thinking ?
    Cuomo and thinking.... does not compute 8-)

If you are incarcerated for a non-violent offense and say have a 10 year sentence. You would be able to reduce that sentence by 4 years if you completed a college degree AND when you got out you were required to provide 4160hrs (8hrs/week/10yrs) of community service over 10 years. That service could be as simple as cleaning up parks or removing graffiti or any of the other small items that would go a very long way to making a community better. Not only would the state save the $240K in incarceration costs but the community as a whole would pick up $42,016 ($10.10x4160) in labor.

This would remove the FREE element to it and thus remove the reasonable opposition.
    I love that idea, lefty. I would support something like that.

My first question is why does it only cost " $5,000 " for a prisoner to get a degree ?

Please show me where my young adults can get a collage degree - room and board - free food - health care for $5000.00?
    Online college education, the costs are very low - a 4 year degree can be had for under $5,000, and with online education we avoid involving the teachers union
    Last edited by buffy; February 21st, 2014 at 04:33 PM.

The USA has the largest prison population in the entire world, over 2.5 million.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Now - this sounds sensible - BRAVO !

I think if you separate the FREE What if they were to say:

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

OH - I forgot - they can just commit a crime !

What the hell is Gov.Cuomo thinking ?

New bumper sticker :
    "FELONS FAMILIES FOR CUOMO
    "
    I think you forgot the cost of housing a prisoner, but still, good point
    HipKat's Blog

I think if you separate the FREE component and find another way to educate the incarcerated there would not be such opposition. Even if the savings is there, and I see that it is, it's still not fair. As so many people like to use the term 'fair share' that needs to apply to those who have been convicted as well. You can't reward people for making mistakes just because it makes it easier on you. That's like a parent not disciplining their kids, say grounding them for the weekend, because doing so would force the parents to give up plans for something fun for the whole family.

I don't think that would work. Years ago the county had all able bodied males who were on welfare do work in the county parks and other areas in the county.
    The county unions complained that these workers were replacing county workers. The work for welfare program was stopped.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    When Cuomo talks about this he should say "We would like the net tax payers to pay for (insert what ever they want to spend money on)" versus "free (insert what ever they want to spend money on)"

I think the low information voters actually think "things are free" and don't realize someone does pay for this stuff.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information