Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free College Education for prisoners..

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Far too many comments to copy/paste.

Lot of people are not happy about it.
    Oh, I thought you were highlighting just one.

It's a bad idea, just ask the Occupy Wall Streeters who wanted their student debt cancelled.

Criminals HAD access to a free public education, just like everyone else. Seems they blew that chance and now want us to fill up their dreary days with remedial math. Forget about a debt to society - It's more like we now owe them a better life!
    Last edited by buffy; February 18th, 2014 at 09:55 PM.

I REALLY need to educate you people on how the American banking system works... Debt, is 100% pure profit. Debt isn't the same as you loaning your neighbor $20. Out of your own pocket. Debt in the banking system is you writing your neighbor a check for $20 but that $20 doesn't actually come out of your account, it's created out of nothing... In a nut shell that's ALL debt in the USA. Student loans, mortgages, credit cards, ect....
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    I REALLY need to educate you people on how the American banking system works... Debt, is 100% pure profit. Debt isn't the same as you loaning your neighbor $20. Out of your own pocket. Debt in the banking system is you writing your neighbor a check for $20 but that $20 doesn't actually come out of your account, it's created out of nothing... In a nut shell that's ALL debt in the USA. Student loans, mortgages, credit cards, ect....
    unfortunately this is all too true. God help us!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Anytime more money goes into circulation against the existing value of the dollar each dollar is worth less.

You are being robbed by inflation.

"Government inc" don't care because they are sheltering themselves from the damage they do to our economy.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    ‘Hell No To Attica University’ : No Free College Education For Convicts
    Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced a plan that would provide college-level education at 10 state prisons, at a cost to taxpayers of about $5,000 per inmate per year. There are an estimated 54,500 inmates currently confined in state prisons.

The last thing New York State should be funding is college tuition for convicts when we have hardworking families in New York State that are struggling to send their children to college.
    Sign the petition

http://www.nysenate.gov/webform/hell...ation-convicts

you get the lib prof in the state college system to teach the convicts for free.. They are the ones pushing liberalism in their class roooms.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    WOuldn't they already be volunteering their teaching services as it is?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    WOuldn't they already be volunteering their teaching services as it is?
    The teachers will be paid as this is really a way to get more union teachers hired by the state.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Punch Cuomo in the face, get a college degree... sounds like a win-win to me.

This thing doesnt look like it will officially pass legislation. But, that doesnt mean Cuomo won't just go and do some form of it anyway. Its just crazy to hear what these morons will come up with next. Like when they wanted to make you register and put a license plate on your bicycle. One absurd thing after another.... and their serious about it!
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

What if this saves money? Would people support it rather than having a knee jerk reaction to it?

If it costs $60,000 a year to incarcerate, but prisoners leaving jail have a 40% recidivism rate with an average incarceration length of 2.5 years, each prisoner has an expected future cost of $60,000.

Now earning college degrees almost certainly reduces recidivism (Buffalo Pundit cited a study showing showing it dropping from 40% to 4%). So if this $5,000 cost reduced recidivism from 40% to 20% and the average length of returned incarceration of 2 years, each prisoner who completed their degree expected future cost would drop to $24,000. Adding in the cost of the degree that would be a $31,000 savings per prisoner.

Even if the completion was one in three, there would still be a savings of $21,000.

I would like to see more hard numbers on completion rates, recidivism and length of incarceration on return, but isn't this a smart way to save the state money and reduce crime as well?

Dude, I volunteer in the prison, I am thinking like you... in the long run it just may save money. Plus not everything to me is based on my pocketbook, unlike way too many other's thought process.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Meanwhile people who are paying taxes, not criminals, and trying to put themselves or their kids through college struggle. Forget about recidivism. Whos fault is it that it costs 60k to house a prisioner? Why dont they fix that first instead of making it a bigger burden. We cant afford this crap. Your heads are starting to get burried.

63 billion in the red!
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

haha...... I hear ya, you did not hear him, this could save money! If it does, I am for it. Corrections is one of those government scam the people jobs. Like the school system. Way over paid for what they do. My sister works in Attica, gravy job and gets over $100,000 to boot.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well seeing this program is successful according to the testing they have done... how about this?

We just let the prisoners out and send them for a college education at what ever community college is in Albany? This way we only spend the $5000 a student and save the $60,000. There ya go. Instant savings and Albany can get a slight population boost. Tax paying citizens.

What happens when this college student "graduates" from prison and finds a competitive workforce filled with background checks? Do we then make such checks illegal so the playing field is leveled? What happens if the prisoner is released before completing the degree? Do we then finance his completion, however long that takes. Anyone else get a sense that this could snowball into universal college education? This, very very quickly on the heels of universal pre-k.

Those poor criminals who were locked up before universal pre-k really are at a disadvantage. Think of how their lives could have been different if only they had been in pre-k with an after-school program. Womb to tomb - no personal responsibility.

How does this create a disincentive to break the law?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information