Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY! Why today's kids are so spoiled & do poorly in school

FINALLY! Why today's kids are so spoiled & do poorly in school

I shortened this to make it more readable while keeping the main points of the article:

The Buffalo News : Life

Thursday, June 4, 2009

PARENTING

“Few parents realize the solution lies in their hands.”
    By John Rosemond
    Columnist

Updated: 05/25/09 9:39 AM

Since the 1960s, reformers have succeeded at bringing about significant reductions in both class size and the student/ teacher ratio. Their efforts have coincided with dramatic declines in student achievement.

The reason 1950s kids could be successfully taught in overcrowded classrooms (I’ve met women who in that decade taught as many as 95 first-graders, by themselves, and with relatively few problems) is:

1) Because they had been and were being properly disciplined in the home.

2) They were not the center of parental attention in their homes:

3) They were expected to pay attention to their parents.

4) They were not the object of great doing on their parents’ parts; rather, they were expected to do, to carry their share of the weight (Does anyone remember when children had chores and were expected to find their own entertainment after school?)

5) They were expected to do at school what they had been trained to do at home—pay attention and do what they were told. (Did I mention that these kids were also expected to do their own homework, without their mothers’ help?) This training obviously paid off.

In other words, today's parents are FULLY responsible for their screwed up, spoiled kids.
    Not the school system.
    Not the crap rap and other lousy music cultures.
    Not their friends.
    Not TV or movies or video games.
    S parents have created the last two generations of lazy, irresponsible and clueless "children."
    Last edited by Dumbfounded; June 4th, 2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Edited for brevity
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

D-I-V-O-R-C-E

The number of fatherless households has increased exponentially since those halcyon days of the sixties. Plain and simple, thats it.

I dont think divorce played as big of a role as you make it sound. My parents divorced when I was 5. I was raised by my father. And in all honesty, I dont think I did too bad. Not tomention, I was taught early on about carrying responsibility and how to handle stress. I think alot of kids today, especially those directly following my generation are lacking the important skills needs to handle both responsibility and stress.

A nother part of parenting is discipline(sp) If you spank your child toda,y its child abuse and you can go to jail for it.

If you smack your kid or slap them for being a complete wise ass and disrespecting your elders, you go to jail and the kid is told what a rotten parent he has.

Also, in the 50-70's the kids didnt have xbox, and the playstation, or a computer. so the kids had to INVENT entertainment... I remember making toy guns out of broom sticks... Todays children dont have to use thier imagination, and in all honesty I wonder how todays kids are going to carry on with the techno,logical boom that *I* grew up in... I just dont see it happening since the use of the imagination isnt required.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    I dont think divorce played as big of a role as you make it sound. My parents divorced when I was 5. I was raised by my father. And in all honesty, I dont think I did too bad.
    You just proved my point, FMD.

The overwhelming majority of divorces result in the mother getting primary custody. Its many of these mothers who'd rather be their child's friend, versus being an authority figure and disciplinarian.

I'll also give a nod to dual-earning parents, something not too common back then, where both mom and dad work. Leaving them alone or with someone else who doesnt have a vested interest in the kids behavior. "Latchkey" kids of the sandwich generation.

I know that the amount of work a child has to do has gone up - BUT I still think it can be mostly accomplished in school - with the amount of homework that is needed or required I should say if the parents dont step up and help them, it doesnt get done.

Yes a lot of parents are the kids friends - which is wrong. There is also A LOT of pressure than when I was a kid - the things they are learning and pushing into these kids is not cool - if you dont discipline your kid to work another 1-3 hours a day on homework, they wont do great in school - some of it is due to over expectations as well
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Well, here's my two cents.

It's not that you have to spoil your kids or coddle them, but treat them nicely. Lots of kids who are neglected or abused "act out" and become discipline problems. I'm shocked and disgusted by how some people are verbally and physically abusive to their kids.

But on the other hand, you can't be too soft either. You do need to maintain some kind of discipline standards... But just don't beat the crap out of them and tell them they are worthless.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

most people out there just shouldn't be having kids, regardless of whether they're married or unwed or divorced.

Unregistered
    Wow! Ya mean this isn't being blamed on teachers?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLV View Post
    D-I-V-O-R-C-E

The number of fatherless households has increased exponentially since those halcyon days of the sixties. Plain and simple, thats it.
    so has the number of motherless ones
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLV View Post
    D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Has it?? because it's been at or about the 50% rate since I was in high school..... 30 yrs ago!

I think you're on the right track, though. It's not Divorce, it's out of wed lock kids.
    It's fatherless parenting, or single parenting, in a repressed economy, where peers become more of a family than parents are.
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Kids will "act out" for either of two reasons:

Either they are given too much attention, or they are not given enough attention.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Haven't we had this discussion 34,565,741 times already?
    If you don't like gay marriage blame straight people. They're the ones who keep having gay babies.

I work hard to be able to spoil my kids! Just because I spoil them when they do good, does not mean they are not disciplined when they get out of line.
    Dads need to be involved as much as they can. Having two young boys I see how much they look up to me. I cant imagine how they would be without me in their life.
    Mark Twain:
    Surely the ass who invented the first religion ought to be the first ass damned
    Faith is believing in that which I know ain't so.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    most people out there just shouldn't be having kids, regardless of whether they're married or unwed or divorced.
    NY State is proof of that.Look at the voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1 View Post
    Kids will "act out" for either of two reasons:

Either they are given too much attention, or they are not given enough attention.

No they act ou becuase know one has the guts to put the fera of God in them. My Dad god rest his soul wopuld not hesitate to crack some ass when it was needed. He would say if you were crying about somthing"Do you want me to give you somthing to cry about"? Then there were the Marines who became teachers and gave no second thoughts of taking the class clown out side and bouncing him off a locker a few times,I experienced the bounce. So dont give me the crap of attention it comes down to being squared away knowing whats right and wrong.

When I was in school we had know ADS. Give me some kid for 1 hour and I will get it to pay attention. OHHHHHHHHHHHRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information