Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More than 170,000 people in Erie County are illiterate

More than 170,000 people in Erie County are illiterate

30 percent of all Buffalo residents and 20 percent of all Erie County residents are functionally illiterate - more than 60,000 people in the city and more than 170,000 countywide.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...27/1005044.asp
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

I have an either/or opinion here...

EITHER the results of study are worthless, because they were counting children when talking about illiteracy (it frightens me whenever they use 'residents' instead of 'adults' in that article),

OR those numbers are really scary. NYS is 65% above the national average for illiteracy?!?!
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

I suspect that it is propaganda on the part of the Buffalo Snooze to explain why the readership is down........

moonshine
    I suspect that it is propaganda on the part of the Buffalo Snooze to explain why the readership is down........
    HAHAHAHAHAH!

In 1992, a federal study showed New York State trailed the nation in adult literacy. The results of an updated 2003 study, released last month, showed almost nothing has changed.

The 2003 state report shows that 26 percent of New York residents don't meet basic literacy levels, compared with 17 percent nationwide.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

This may help partially explain the reason many keep foolishly voting for democrats that do almost everything they can to hasten the exodus of the private sector economy and tax base in New York State.

Actually Forestfirefighter, studies have shown that the more education a person has, the more likely they are to be a Democrat. If you're going to turn a thread about a tragedy that affects all Western New Yorkers into a partisan rant, at least get the facts straight.

Treachery made a monster out of me

I think they just mailed out a bunch of surveys. If someone didn't return it, they must not be a able to read.

Or are they counting illiterate people as those who type "im goin on a d8 w u 2nite" Those people can be counted as illiterate because they obviously cannot read, write, and they're Republicans.

Unregistered
    Originally posted by Dino330
    Or are they counting illiterate people as those who type "im goin on a d8 w u 2nite" Those people can be counted as illiterate because they obviously cannot read, write, and they're Republicans.
    I can read that

What does that make me?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Hey the smart leave and the stupid stay Then the rest of us have to support them

they need to define what "functionally illiterate" means.

Unregistered
    Originally posted by WNYresident
    Hey the smart leave and the stupid stay Then the rest of us have to support them
    Whatchoo talking about Willis?

We're still here!!

Unregistered
    quote: posted by Dino330
    Or are they counting illiterate people as those who type "im goin on a d8 w u 2nite" Those people can be counted
    as illiterate because they obviously cannot read, write, and they're Republicans.

quote: posted by Ragin:
    I can read that
    What does that make me?
    -----------------------------------------------------

Oh no. I'm not leaving myself open like that. I can read it, but I couldn't have written or typed it.

I'll answer it myself:

1) a Republican

2) Busy! and .... I have a date tonight?

Originally posted by WNYresident
    But that makes "the rest of us" also the ones that stayed, so does that make us stupid, illiterate, or both?

I'm not illiterate. I know who my father is.

Treachery made a monster out of me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information