Thread: AP: FEMA may put storm victims in foreclosed homes

AP: FEMA may put storm victims in foreclosed homes

http://www.buffalonews.com/260/story/691305.html
    The federal government is exploring how to put Florida hurricane evacuees in foreclosed homes if a Katrina-like storm devastates the region and shelters, hotels and other housing options are full, The Associated Press has learned.

This sounds like a plan that could help kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Less vacancy issues in foreclosed homes and possibly cheaper for FEMA if a deal could be worked out. Although I wonder if that situation might not make it harder for the mortgagor to sell the property.

How can Fema do this? Its not their property, the forclosed homes belong to the banks, not the govt. Therfore FEMA has no jurisdiction to put people in forclosed homes.

Also, How would they pick who gets their own fema sponsored home? On top of that, who would pay the monthly bills for the home the people are living in? Does FEMA pick up the tab? if so, I bet that would REALLY piss off ALOT of people. Especially the previous owners.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

It's in the article.

"The idea is still being developed, but FEMA would likely contact banks, other mortgage holders and their representatives to compile a list of available homes. The evacuees would then be assigned homes close to their own and FEMA would use a contractor, acting as its agent, to pay rent directly to whoever owns the home, said Jon Arno, FEMA's individual assistance branch director for Florida. His duties include finding temporary housing for disaster victims."

close to their homes? If their homes are in the path of destruction how does that help? Also, pay rent? I am assuming the rent paid would be cheaper than the mortgage, so why not offer THAT option to the original homeowner?

I dunno this whole thing seems awfully fishy to me.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Thread Information