Thread: Thought for Wednesday: Non-exempt vs exempt employees

Thought for Wednesday: Non-exempt vs exempt employees

There is an ongoing debate at my place of employment about exempt versus non-exempt employees.

By exempt, I mean being exempt from federal regulations regarding overtime.

Management, and the law, says that all hourly employees are non-exempt, therefore are eligible for overtime payment.

Management says any "salaried" employee is exempt from the law. Outside of my first job, I have always been salaried but always eligible for overtime until I came to working at this small manufacturing facility.

My understanding of exempt is for high ranking employees, like general managers, financial officers, etc., not receptionists, clerks or customer service reps.

Any thoughts on this?
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

The law regarding overtime was changed recently by the Bush Administration, making it much more difficult for many employees to qualify for paid overtime.

I hope this link for the Dept of Labor will help....

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/complian...irpay/main.htm

Originally posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    The law regarding overtime was changed recently by the Bush Administration, making it much more difficult for many employees to qualify for paid overtime.

I hope this link for the Dept of Labor will help....

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/complian...irpay/main.htm
    Gee....
    Let's get this straight. Bush changed the rules so less people can get paid overtime. Then he came up with a medicare prescription reform bill that no one can make heads or tales of and has seniors going crazy. (In addition to the States spending millions to cover the Feds ass.)
    He stood in Jackson Square and promised to re-build New Orleans no matter the cost. Now he say's it cost to much and is back peddling.
    Is there a group of americans, other than the wealtiest one percent, that his administration hasn't affected in a negative way?
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Originally posted by citymouse
    Is there a group of americans, other than the wealtiest one percent, that his administration hasn't affected in a negative way?
    Is there some reason why you've singled out the current administration? I could say the exact same things about the previous four administrations.

I was always under the impression that Exempt employees are, generally, higher paid, and have more responsibilities.

Therefore, putting in an extra hour or two was expected, because it's the "right thing to do", not for the additional pay.

Unregistered

jumping to conclusions

I don't believe this is taking away overtime to workers who make more than $23,660.
    To me, and I know y'all correct me if I'm wrong it appears to be strengthened protections for those who make less than that amount.

The Dept. of Labor website has more info. There is a list of occupations who's overtime benefits appear to be safeguarded. Here is the link

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/complian...occupation.htm

If I'm reading this correctly, Citymouse .. you're OT is safe. Blue collar workers, and professionals such as RNs appear safe. Employees working under union contracts are ok too.

Unregistered
    Rising,

That's how I understand it too.

I believe this is may be easier to understand and help put your miinds at ease:

Dept of Labor FAQ's

Thread Information