Thread: (buffalo, Ny) Courier, September 8, 1908: HE SURE IS A REAL HERO

TimeOut Chair

(buffalo, Ny) Courier, September 8, 1908: HE SURE IS A REAL HERO

(BUFFALO, NY) COURIER, SEPTEMBER 8, 1908: HE SURE IS A REAL HERO

South Side turns out Thousands to welcome Home Driver Schuster
    GETS LOVING CUP

The Reverend Mr. Darms seized Chance to hit South Buffalo Roads and the Floods. George Schuster, who drove the Thomas Flyer around the world, was welcomed by his South Buffalo neighbors last night. At least, it was intended as a neighborly affair, but among the 10,000 people who crowed around the grandstand at Cazenovia Park were representatives from every part of the city.

The evening’s ceremonies began with a parade which formed at Princeton Place and Seneca Street at 7 o’clock followed by the now famous Thomas car that led the race around the world. Schuster was at the wheel. With him were his father-in-law, R.C. Berner, and H.C. Henderson of the E.R. Thomas Motor Company. Then came the members of the George Schuster Welcome Club. Following the club came most of the male residents of South Buffalo.

The parade led through the principal streets of South Buffalo. It seemed as if every home had been decorated. There was an archway of American flags and Chinese lanterns. Every now and them some enthusiastic neighbor would make his way to the curb and set off some red fire or send up roman candles.

Within three minutes after Schuster had taken his place on the bandstand it was impossible to get within 40 feet of it. Patrolman William J. Walsh, detailed as Schuster’s aid, saw that Schuster, the band and the committee got on the stand all right and the rest of the evening he was kept busy trying to prevent people from forcing their way up the stairs in an effort to grasp Schuster’s hand.

W.H. Smith, customs inspector, acted as master of ceremonies. Those who occupied chairs on the bandstand were the Reverend John M. Darms, Alderman Elmer E. Harris, Supervisor W.J. Jaeger, D.S. Dickinson, H.B. Boone, L. F. Weyand, L.A. Zittle, J. George Berner, J.F. Berner and W. J. Reardon. Mr. Smith first told the crowd how proud South Buffalo was of Schuster. Then he introduced Mr. Darms as the speaker of the evening. Mr. Darms spoke of the hardships which Schuster must necessarily have endured on his record-breaking trip but he said he doubted much whether in all his travels Schuster had struck any roads as bad as some of those in South Buffalo when the floods have full away. Then came the presentation of a loving cup.

Schuster thanked his neighbors and told them of his experiences. He said some of the toughest were right here in New York State. He highly praised Montague Roberts, M. Linn Mathewson and Harold Brinker, who too,k the car at various stages from New York City to Seattle.

“When I was younger,” said Schuster, “and used to ride a bicycle in the road races we would find some foxy fellow who would start in the race, ride a short distance outside of the city and after all the racers had started would turn back and cross the finishing point first, claiming the race. It was just such a deal as that that the Germans tried to work. They went as far as Utah and from Utah to Seattle their car was on a flat car on the railroad. They didn’t go near San Francisco. Neither did they go through Japan as we did.”

“I believe,” said Schuster later, “that if the Protos had not changed crews so many times, it would have done much better work.” Schuster said that he would leave it to the illustrated pictures to describe the countries which they visited. After the pictures had been shown, the band played Home, Sweet Home.

Re: (buffalo, Ny) Courier, September 8, 1908: HE SURE IS A REAL HERO

Thank you so much for sharing this story with us. I am a history
    nerd and I love this kind of stuff. I am starting to like you . The photos you posted were very nice also

Whoa. Were did that come from? I never heard of the guy.
    Very impressive. South Buffalo seems to have a hand in evrything that goes on in this world.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Thread Information