Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: political press releases and their place on the boards?

TimeOut Chair

political press releases and their place on the boards?

several suggestions have come up about how, why and where politcal press release should be on this MB. taken from a different thread to talk about here.

However, I must tell you: Those press releases really do give me a headache. And for that reason, I think my post, while seeming to be objectionable to you, served a significant purpose for me:
    To express that those posts literally give me a headache.
    those are reality and those are what they are really saying. if there are really that offensive then put me on your ignor list cuz im not going to stop posting what the pols are saying to feed to the ppl /in general not jusy you/ that want to be sheltered by ignorance. its simple, dont read it if its that bad.

The speak out section of the board specifically states "Local issues which may not be politically based", so someone asking about finding a cat (locally) is fair game. The cheektowaga section of the board will remain under used as long as we put cheektowaga info in other place of the board.
    there is a reason for dropping press releases on that board cuz in maintaining a variety, it adds mix to what ppl are speaking out here on. by posting a press release its my way of speaking out on a forum of the same name.

it was suggested to me that a press release forum be created and without saying who it was, this was my reply:

by doing that it'll be secluding the pols info to one forum that ppl like you wont go to. (i meant ppl like you in the sense that you said you dont read that stuff) the variety of ppl's opinion and pols press releases makes for a good mix of what all ppl are saying/reading on the boards.

the olny difference in having all of it in one forum is to prevent what the pols are really saying from just what ppl think. by secluding it all into one place it will be feeding to keeping ppl ignorant to reality.

if ppl are complaining that they dont like realding it, they by sectioning it off it is making more room for more ignorance instead of just saying "if you dont like to read it... then skip over it"

if there is to be a forum for it all then you have to think for yourself in what that would mean on a site, that is all about making the pols accountable. to do that there needs to be atleast some level of self-educating cuz ppl complain about something w/o knowing what it really is.

i dont like the idea of its own forum and those are the reason why. if ppl dont like reading then tell them to put me on ignor so they dont have to see it, but to section it off into its own forum is feeding to the ignorance cuz the posts i do make contain accurate substance - even if it is what the pols are saying.

if there is a rift of members complaining about, what is the big deal if its on speakout here or a diffrent forum if only to prevent truth and reality to ppl other than the members who dont care to read it?

i think these press releases are an important part of bringing stuff to the table instead of just the sheltered level of ignorance. I know i keep using that word, but it is to meant in the unknowledged form. if posting a legislative agenda shows how things are up on a legislative level then what harm can come if to just let ppl know this is how its done.

im rattling on but with good points. someone once told me that internet writing has to be put at a level no higher than third grade reading. which i beleive is true cuz so many ppl complain about the length of a press release. this might be the reasoning behind bikers thread of the language spelling and grammar, to sustain a higher level of intellegence /if i read it right/?

my recommendations is dont seclude accurate info to a place where ppl wont see it cuz a select few dont care to read it. overall pol press releases and legislative agendas give the MB charater and more to go on than just what ppl think. thank you for your time. please contain any replies to press releases and not the person creating this thread.

ps. the two quotes used are only a generalization and not intended as the basis of the thread cuz others have made similar suggestions.

How about a compromise, woodstock? You type up a brief synopsis of the point of the press release, agenda or whatever and why it matters enough to you to cut and paste it onto the board.

That will tell board members whether they want to dig into the issue you are presenting. You accomplish your mission of providing SUWNY members with information they may not have realized they had access to -- and probably increase readership as well.

Deal?

Woodstock:
    I didn't read the length of your post for I believe I get your drift in the first couple of paragraphs.
    I will say that the press releases do have a place on the board.
    I use them, steven does, yourself and others. Oh yah lest I forget, Avet!

I do believe we may be able to use a section specfic to press release. Oh here is that word "catagorize" them and use them for referance.
    Such as:
    Posting within a thread or topic, you could point to the URL for the full story.
    This would keep threads and topics shorter, unclutered and a quicker read. Anyone interested would have the ability to access the specfics if they choose.
    IMO

Originally posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    How about a compromise, woodstock? You type up a brief synopsis of the point of the press release, agenda or whatever and why it matters enough to you to cut and paste it onto the board.

That will tell board members whether they want to dig into the issue you are presenting. You accomplish your mission of providing SUWNY members with information they may not have realized they had access to -- and probably increase readership as well.

Deal?
    I agree on the synopsis, yet the info could be lost.
    IE - Web page no longer availabe! Error 401, or something like that.
    I have lost info by not capturing it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wanted to make a section on the news part of the site so they are indexed much better than being indexed from the messageboard.

Originally posted by LHardy
    If I run across a website I don't want to lose, I make a PDF or WORD file out of it and save it on my computer.
    You type up a brief synopsis of the point of the press release, agenda or whatever and why it matters enough to you to cut and paste it onto the board.
    Also, post a link to the original piece.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

TimeOut Chair

im replying on a few posts in one shot if thats ok?

Lhardy you figured out my reason for posting the whole thing. its capturing so that its available.

on the other hand if making a forum of all the press releases and ppl reply to them it would be no diffrent than having them posted in an exsisting forum for ppl to read or reply on, right?

a summary is a shortened version and takes away of the full and true intentions of the press release itself. it would be a matter of picking and choose what stays in and what stays out of the post. that also reducing what is brought to the table. like bring a half eaten bag of chips to a party to serve to the guest. on the level of bring information its better to have too much than not enough. and that is my reason behind posting them cuz ppl dont have enough of the truth around here. most are stuck on all pols are lazy, corrupt and dont do their jobs. but in reality that is not the case and if in some small way ppl learn something from my posts even if they create their own opinion on it they will have learned something none-the-less. increasing readership would mean encouraging actual reading. no deal.

I wanted to make a section on the news part of the site so they are indexed much better than being indexed from the messageboard.
    rez are you suggesting moving press release postings off MB completely? what purpose would it serve for me to place them someplace totally diffrent than right here in any forum i'd like for them to be in?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    on the other hand if making a forum of all the press releases and ppl reply to them it would be no diffrent than having them posted in an exsisting forum for ppl to read or reply on, right?
    Nope, it distracts from the flow of the thread.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    a summary is a shortened version and takes away of the full and true intentions of the press release itself. it would be a matter of picking and choose what stays in and what stays out of the post. that also reducing what is brought to the table. like bring a half eaten bag of chips to a party to serve to the guest. on the level of bring information its better to have too much than not enough. and that is my reason behind posting them cuz ppl dont have enough of the truth around here. most are stuck on all pols are lazy, corrupt and dont do their jobs. but in reality that is not the case and if in some small way ppl learn something from my posts even if they create their own opinion on it they will have learned something none-the-less. increasing readership would mean encouraging actual reading. no deal.

Why bring the whole cow to dinner if you only want steak ?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    rez are you suggesting moving press release postings off MB completely? what purpose would it serve for me to place them someplace totally diffrent than right here in any forum i'd like for them to be in?
    Yep.

Refer to the part that acutally refers to what the people are discussing with a link to the full agenda or press release.

Plus if they are organized on the news part of the site we'll have a cronological listing of what is happening in the legislature plus a searchable database of the agenda's and press releases.

I can make it so they don't interfere with the basic editorials which pop up on the front of the speakupwny site.

Then to make it more interesting we can section off a part of onlinebuffalo dedicated to them.

Most people really don't seem to want to read through the whole press release or agenda to try to figure out why they are in the thread to begin with.

TimeOut Chair
    Nope, it distracts from the flow of the thread.
    i was referring to press releases to create a thread? as in posting the legislative agenda in a thread about the legislature it was it was appropriately placed.

Yep.

Refer to the part that acutally refers to what the people are discussing with a link to the full agenda or press release.

Plus if they are organized on the news part of the site we'll have a cronological listing of what is happening in the legislature plus a searchable database of the agenda's and press releases.

I can make it so they don't interfere with the basic editorials which pop up on the front of the speakupwny site.

Then to make it more interesting we can section off a part of onlinebuffalo dedicated to them.
    why not just tell me to stop posting them? if you want them used some place else youll have to put them up yourself. my intended use is here on the boards and if you want something different then its something you'll have to do.

Most people really don't seem to want to read through the whole press release or agenda to try to figure out why they are in the thread to begin with.
    if they are used to create a thread and ppl are complaining about the length then they can just skip over them in the list of new topics or ppl can just put me on ignor so they dont have to see them at all, but at the very least i'll know im doing my part in bringing accurate information.

my whole concern is: what harm is posting press releases doing to the site? if ppl are just complain cuz they dont want to read them, no one is forcing them to.

Originally posted by woodstock
    i was referring to press releases to create a thread? as in posting the legislative agenda in a thread about the legislature it was it was appropriately placed.

why not just tell me to stop posting them? if you want them used some place else youll have to put them up yourself. my intended use is here on the boards and if you want something different then its something you'll have to do.

if they are used to create a thread and ppl are complaining about the length then they can just skip over them in the list of new topics or ppl can just put me on ignor so they dont have to see them at all, but at the very least i'll know im doing my part in bringing accurate information.

my whole concern is: what harm is posting press releases doing to the site? if ppl are just complain cuz they dont want to read them, no one is forcing them to.
    I'm not quoting you here -- just responding. Your press releases, agendas, proposed and approved bills have a wealth of information. But, for the most, making heads or tails of them is sometimes almost impossible or just too time consuming at any given moment.

Your mission is to know you're doing your part in bringing accurate information, but if members are intimidated by the long, intense gray matter that bills, agenda's etc. involve, you're not spreading the accuracy. A quick paragraph telling us why this bill or whatever is important would do a world of good. Providing a link, so people can go back and study it at their leisure, would also be helpful.

You understand what you post. But it does no good to the membership in general if we don't have some guide posts. You appear to be adept at understanding the lingo, so to speak -- but that is not an ability we all have. So why not share it?

TimeOut Chair

just asking questions

Originally posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    You understand what you post. But it does no good to the membership in general if we don't have some guide posts. You appear to be adept at understanding the lingo, so to speak -- but that is not an ability we all have. So why not share it?
    why disallow politcal press releases cuz a few select ppl dont like reading them? if its a matter of reading at leasure, what diffrence does it make if its here or some place else? have you become an expert in membership and postings all of the sudden? what harm am i doing? i'd really like to know. what danger am i causing the site by just posting press releases of what the politicians are really saying?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    why disallow politcal press releases cuz a few select ppl dont like reading them?

Starting them on a clean thread is fine but putting them into the middle of an ongoing thread is just annoying. Just paste the relevant part with a link to the rest.

A synopsis with a concise description of the true meaning of a bill, with a link to the full text, will provide a much more valuable service. It will most likely encourage more people to read the whole text. And, as WNY stated, it will provide a chronological, searchable archive.
    why disallow politcal press releases cuz a few select ppl dont like reading them?
    Press releases are not being disallowed.
    have you become an expert in membership and postings all of the sudden? what harm am i doing? i'd really like to know. what danger am i causing the site by just posting press releases of what the politicians are really saying?
    Don't be so defensive. This is not about trashing anything you are doing. In fact, it is taking a valuable service you have started and making it better. You should feel good about that. If men had stopped tinkering with the wheel when the caveman invented it we would not have cars and metrobuses today.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information