Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: political press releases and their place on the boards?

Woodstock
    Feel free to quote me anytime you like but kindly don't restrict it to half a quote, least someone think that is the whole story.

What I said was

I don't read pol press releases because they are written in a self serving way, are overly long, and give a lot of credit where its not due.

I most assuredly feel this way.

What you quoted has absolutely nothing to do with the query you started this thread off with. "political press releases and their place on the boards?", and everything to do with a response to a comment you made about people talking about cats on the main section and not reading the Cheektowaga section.

A business opens. 50 new jobs, 5 different pols rush to release press releases all subtly claiming credit. I will continue not to read pols press releases
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

TimeOut Chair
    What you quoted has absolutely nothing to do with the query you started this thread off with. "political press releases and their place on the boards?", and everything to do with a response to a comment you made about people talking about cats on the main section and not reading the Cheektowaga section.
    no. my post was
    there is a reason for dropping press releases on that board cuz in maintaining a variety, it adds mix to what ppl are speaking out here on. by posting a press release its my way of speaking out on a forum of the same name.

this thread is a spin off of an exsisting thread to not take away from the topic posted in a cheektowaga forum. in doing so i am within what rez tells me to do create another thread so it doesnt appear to hijack a different one.

if you got off the bandwagon for about 5 seconds you would have seen me say ps. the two quotes used are only a generalization and not intended as the basis of the thread cuz others have made similar suggestions.

I will continue not to read pols press releases
    and that would be your reason behind me not posting them anymore? have you polled ALL of the regular posting members to determine that just because you dont like them no one else should?

if you revisit the thread you will see your own words: Sorry Kiddo, But I dont read politicians press releases and I am aware that a lot of the other folks on the board dont either, so I missed it. and atotaltotalfan2001 saying: Me neither. Those things give me a headache! leading me to just create a new thread of that topic so the other topic can continue on.

if this is what rez tells me to do then why are you complaining?

i said
    the speak out here forum is the most used it seems but it has variety. what is the diffrence between a conversation of cats or what governor pataki says? imo having the posts i make hidden in a less populated forum is like not even posting it at all. if ppl dont want to read them its fine by me but it shouldnt mean that they should be posted elsewhare cuz a select few dont want to take the time to read up on what the pols are saying. just thinking.
    to where other ppl comment there after. and i created this thread and the cheektowaga one resumed about the topic. i did what rez told me to do by creating a new thread.

TimeOut Chair
    with a link to the full text, will provide a much more valuable service.
    how? i'd really like to know how.

if its here or in another place, reading it in general is the only valuable service, dont you think?

the post you quoted

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    have you become an expert in membership and postings all of the sudden? what harm am i doing? i'd really like to know. what danger am i causing the site by just posting press releases of what the politicians are really saying?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    was a direct question to atotaltotalfan2001 if you dont mind letting that member answer?

Vaya con dios, my friend. I think we've tried all manner of compromise with you, but you, I think, prefer the role of self-appointed (w/o reason) martry. I can't imagine a way to make your cut-and-paste posts more relevant than to write a brief something about why they matter.....but you seem determined to find arguments no matter what.

So, here is hoping you focus on something truly worthy of fighting over......

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    Vaya con dios, my friend. I think we've tried all manner of compromise with you, but you, I think, prefer the role of self-appointed (w/o reason) martry. I can't imagine a way to make your cut-and-paste posts more relevant than to write a brief something about why they matter.....but you seem determined to find arguments no matter what.

Do total you noticed that huh?

People who won't compromise or at least listen to reasonable comments but still insist they know better.

This is how I would do it but what do I know....

I would like things like meeting agendas and government press releases to be organized in a searchable manner. It would actually help the community more than having them just posted up randomly on messageboards.

I would even go out of my way and setup a section that someone could post the agendas/press releases and immediately close the thread.

Gold Member
    This is how I would do it but what do I know....
    Yeah Res, you really should make sure you have some working knowledge on a subject before you speak

I would like things like meeting agendas and government press releases to be organized in a searchable manner. It would actually help the community more than having them just posted up randomly on messageboards.
    Make information on the Web searchable? Now THERE'S a novel concept lol

Not to mention that if these were listed in their own dedicated section that we could make an RSS feed of the snippets with links to the complete press releases. I for one know that I would read something like that, especially if the summaries were written in a clear, consice manner in plain english instead of "legalese". But then again, I, like you, have no applicable knowledge in the subject [kidding!]

Originally posted by woodstock
    and that would be your reason behind me not posting them anymore? have you polled ALL of the regular posting members to determine that just because you dont like them no one else should?
    1. I didnt tell you not to post them.

2. I never said you shouldnt post them, I just said I dont read them, and I tried to be nice and explain to you why.

Your once again looking for controversy/drama when there is none. I dont care that you post them, I just dont read them. It has nothing to do with you, it has to do with the source.
    Nuff Said.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Unregistered
    Originally posted by GeorgeB
    we could make an RSS feed of the snippets
    GeorgeB:

I have no idea what you just said, but if I did, it sounds like a great idea!

TimeOut Chair

what is there to compromise over? i created this as a discussion and if talking about things seems like a fight to you then you are mistaken cuz that is not my intentions. I am asking what harm is it doing to the site by putting press releases here?

I would even go out of my way and setup a section that someone could post the agendas/press releases and immediately close the thread.
    i think the variety is better in the exsisting forums. by placing them in a secluded forum they will go unseen and it would be as if i have not posted them at all and the level of ignorance remains as members keep saying the pols arent doing anything.

a search is a search is a search. will the searches know they are all neatly organized in forum? and while on searches, those dont matter unless the information is being used. do you want your searches for ppl to learn something or just added site hits?

if you want a secluded forum then you'll have to locate and post them yourself. i'll stop posting them here and let you take over on doing it. I'll stop posting them since you have not considered a single word i said and you cant answer what harm i am doing by just posting them.

I for one know that I would read something like that, especially if the summaries were written in a clear, consice manner in plain english instead of "legalese".
    do you think the pols are going to change the way they submit things to the public? no, so what danger to the site would it mean in letting ppl see how they are intellegent in what they say? the pols arent going to put their information at a 3rd grade reading level so what purpose would it serve the members of the boards to have something summorized at a lower reading level? imo dumbed down versions of things just keep ppl dumb.

Over her head

[Quote]do you think the pols are going to change the way they submit things to the public? no, so what danger to the site would it mean in letting ppl see how they are intellegent in what they say? the pols arent going to put their information at a 3rd grade reading level so what purpose would it serve the members of the boards to have something summorized at a lower reading level? imo dumbed down versions of things just keep ppl dumb.[Quote]

that's what everyone is saying...we need u to dumb it down for us

Re: Over her head

[QUOTE]Originally posted by buffy
    [Quote]do you think the pols are going to change the way they submit things to the public? no, so what danger to the site would it mean in letting ppl see how they are intellegent in what they say? the pols arent going to put their information at a 3rd grade reading level so what purpose would it serve the members of the boards to have something summorized at a lower reading level? imo dumbed down versions of things just keep ppl dumb.

that's what everyone is saying...we need u to dumb it down for us
    They don't to be dumbed down, but things like agendas or proposed or approved laws aren't written for the public consumption. Frankly, I'm sure lawmakers have staff whose job is understand what those reams and reams of paper mean. The public doesn't have that luxury, but I guess we won't be able to look to you for assistance, since you keep making excuses for why you won't help out.

TimeOut Chair

Re: Re: Over her head

Originally posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    since you keep making excuses for why you won't help out.
    i thought by just putting the information here would of been help enough. doesnt matter cuz i wont be posting them anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information