Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheektowaga goes to 100% assessment!

Cheektowaga goes to 100% assessment!

It's about time! I have been talking to Mary Holtz about this for this for over 3 years. She said that Cheektowaga would do this and now they have. Kudos to the Supervisor and board members that voted for this good change at last.

Reassuring residents that tax rates won’t increase, the Cheektowaga Town Board approved a resolution Tuesday night to adopt full value for property tax assessments.

The vote was 5 to 2, with Council members Tim Meyers and Jim Rogowski opposed. Both expressed concerns about the potential impact on businesses.
    “I think there’s been a lot of confusion surrounding this change,” said Council Member Angela Wozniak. “For individual residents of the town, you’re not going to see a change in your assessment.”
    “We want it to be easier for residents to understand their (tax) bills,” Wozniak said.
    While Cheektowaga has an equalization rate of 62 percent, property has been assessed at 100 percent for more than 20 years, residents were told during a series of public meetings held last September and October. A home now assessed at $62,000 has a full market value of $100,000.
    The change would be reflected in school tax bills sent out this fall.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...owaga-20140121
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Beware Mike, many went up a large amount when this happened in the Town of Brant.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    It's about time! I have been talking to Mary Holtz about this for this for over 3 years. She said that Cheektowaga would do this and now they have. Kudos to the Supervisor and board members that voted for this good change at last.

Reassuring residents that tax rates won’t increase, the Cheektowaga Town Board approved a resolution Tuesday night to adopt full value for property tax assessments.

The vote was 5 to 2, with Council members Tim Meyers and Jim Rogowski opposed. Both expressed concerns about the potential impact on businesses.
    “I think there’s been a lot of confusion surrounding this change,” said Council Member Angela Wozniak. “For individual residents of the town, you’re not going to see a change in your assessment.”
    “We want it to be easier for residents to understand their (tax) bills,” Wozniak said.
    While Cheektowaga has an equalization rate of 62 percent, property has been assessed at 100 percent for more than 20 years, residents were told during a series of public meetings held last September and October. A home now assessed at $62,000 has a full market value of $100,000.
    The change would be reflected in school tax bills sent out this fall.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...owaga-20140121

Why would the board say the tax rates won't increase? If property is now assessed at full value, wouldn't the tax "rate" actually decrease? I understand the tax bill total would remain relatively the same. Also why would the 2 sons vote against this using the "potential impact on business" excuse? Businesses have been getting "impacted" for years along with the rest of us by paying high taxes, do they believe a business person doesn't understand the difference between having their property at 100% assessment and paying through the you know what for taxes?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    Why would the board say the tax rates won't increase? If property is now assessed at full value, wouldn't the tax "rate" actually decrease? I understand the tax bill total would remain relatively the same. Also why would the 2 sons vote against this using the "potential impact on business" excuse? Businesses have been getting "impacted" for years along with the rest of us by paying high taxes, do they believe a business person doesn't understand the difference between having their property at 100% assessment and paying through the you know what for taxes?
    I see you are being realistic.

Basically we are taxed by a multiplier. So does anyone know if this will effect what we are paying now? Does the tax bill change much for someone with a home valued at $80,000 compared to someone who's home if valued at $130,000 ?

If your home is valued at $100,000 and the assessment goes from 62% to 100% your tax bill should be exactly the same. I don't want to pay anymore than what we are paying now.

The "sons" never cared about the impact their decisions made in the past that effect property owners.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Beware Mike, many went up a large amount when this happened in the Town of Brant.
    but were they paying less than they should have been compared to others in the town. If the homes were "reassessed" that had nothing to do with the assessment rate going from one value to another.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    but were they paying less than they should have been compared to others in the town. If the homes were "reassessed" that had nothing to do with the assessment rate going from one value to another.
    That is exactly what will happen to any house currently valued below fmv, but only if they they do a town wide re-valuation. if all they do is use the existing valuation figures, the inequities will not change.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    That is exactly what will happen to any house currently valued below fmv, but only if they they do a town wide re-valuation. if all they do is use the existing valuation figures, the inequities will not change.
    So the over taxed home owners should go on a witch hunt and look for all the homes that have not been reassessed in the last 30 years. If there are 3000 home owners way under value the rest of us might see a decrease. Right? I don't think that is possible. We have been reassessed 3 times since we purchased our home. How could someone not have been reassessed over 20+ years. Doesn't the town keep a database of reassessments? They can easily do a search to see what date the last assessment was done.

So the over taxed home owners should go on a witch hunt and look for all the homes that have not been reassessed in the last 30 years. If there are 3000 home owners way under value the rest of us might see a decrease. Right? I don't think that is possible. We have been reassessed 3 times since we purchased our home. How could someone not have been reassessed over 20+ years. Doesn't the town keep a database of reassessments? They can easily do a search to see what date the last assessment was done.
    It's more efficient and more accurate to put in an annual 100% re-assessment program. Otherwise the County can still claim an assemment ration for purposes of imposing the county levy.

Property tax by far is the most unfair and impossible to figure tax there is. It needs to be eliminated and give us back true ownership.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Property tax by far is the most unfair and impossible to figure tax there is. It needs to be eliminated and give us back true ownership.
    We need some form of property taxes in order to maintain our roads and infrastructure. What we don't need is a whole group of people given a monopoly of services with never ending salary/benefit increases

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    The greatest benefit of everyone at 100% is that it is easy to see where the lowest property tax is by comparing tax rates. The town with the lowest rate is also the lowest property tax. $100,000 house with the lower rate is the lower amount of tax paid.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

We need some form of property taxes in order to maintain our roads and infrastructure. What we don't need is a whole group of people given a monopoly of services with never ending salary/benefit increases
    I respectfully disagree. Property tax is pretty much plain ole criminal, it removes property ownership from the people. The government rents ALL land. We own nothing because of this most unfair tax. There are other means to generate the needed funds.

Property tax is one of the biggest crimes on society government has perpetrated.

Originally posted by Dan Roman:
    Why would the board say the tax rates won't increase? If property is now assessed at full value, wouldn't the tax "rate" actually decrease?
    Oh yes, if everything else remained the same. Let's say a house that is currently assessed at $62,000 and the tax rate was $10 per thousand, the tax would be $620. Now, the assessment is $100,000 and the tax rate must be $6.20. Same tax bill different tax rate, if all other things remained constant.

Georgia L Schlager

I respectfully disagree. Property tax is pretty much plain ole criminal, it removes property ownership from the people. The government rents ALL land. We own nothing because of this most unfair tax. There are other means to generate the needed funds.

Property tax is one of the biggest crimes on society government has perpetrated.
    Correct right to the core.
    Democrats Against UN Agenda 21 - Democrats Against UN Agenda 21

Property ownership is coming to an end in the country. The government has plans to take ownership of all home ownership and rent out openly these property eliminating the need for foreclosures on homes, this is right in the Frank & Dodd bill .... "we are minuets away from fundamentally changing America." there is a Dodd you should read because this is where America is at the moment its called looking back on the year 2000 by Edward Blamey written in 1884.

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    Correct right to the core.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information