Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day

Thumbs up Memorial Day

Please remember that this holiday week-end is to HONOR & REMEMBER our fallen heroes & brave men & women who gave their lives so we can be free as Americans to persue our goals of happiness & even have the right to post things freely in newspapers , blogs , message boards , & ALL of our Bill of Rights & Amendments , please say & thank ALL those who served & are serving , may God bless you & your families & keep you safe within His bosom..............
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post
    Please remember that this holiday week-end is to HONOR & REMEMBER our fallen heroes & brave men & women who gave their lives so we can be free as Americans to persue our goals of happiness & even have the right to post things freely in newspapers , blogs , message boards , & ALL of our Bill of Rights & Amendments , please say & thank ALL those who served & are serving , may God bless you & your families & keep you safe within His bosom..............

Amen!!

Exclamation Local vets say they are losing respect on Memorial Day

OLEAN - “Memorial Day is an observance for all veterans, living and dead. It is a time for quiet respect for our fallen veterans, our living veterans, what they have done for the country.”

That is how Robert Clemon, commander of the Olean Veterans of Foreign Wars Post, summed up his belief in what Monday means to him.

“That respect is something we are losing,” Olean American Legion Post Commander Donald Kremer said. “We’ve lost our values. ... The men that are buried in these cemeteries have given their lives so that the youth of today can have their freedoms.”

Memorial Day Master of Ceremonies Sgt. William Hilliard, added, “The respect is not there anymore for the veterans.”

“There was a time when the people on the parade route was three to four people deep,” World War II veteran Carl Timme said.

“We should be getting all the respect, and we are getting less and less,” Mr. Clemon said.

“People see it as the first day of summer, not thinking about what it is really about,” Jeff Linn, Sr. said. “You go down to the memorial and just read the names, and that is just from World War II.”

This year’s Memorial Day Parade will begin at 10 a.m., and will travel along North and South Union streets. The first stop of the day will be at the Veterans Memorial Bridge, where Navy veteran George Whashington will cast a wreath into the river, and Air Force veteran Carl Timme will lay a wreath at the monument to the north of the bridge.

An invocation will be given by Father Gregory Dobson of St. Mary of the Angels Church.

From there, the parade will continue its march to the Field of Honor at Mount View Cemetery.

The memories of the fallen will be honored in the reading of Gen. Logan’s Address, by 2nd Lt. Matthew Gustisin, of Company C, 1/112th Infantry, 28th Division.

Also speaking will be Sgt. 1st Class Troy Forquer, of Company C, 1/112th Infantry, 28th Division; and Olean Mayor David Carucci.

Officers of the Day will be Jessie Skinner and George Whashington.

Also present will be founders of the Olean Joint Veterans, Marine Corps veteran Richard Spink and Mr. Timme.

After the benediction, offered by Father Dobson, the VFW’s Mr. Clemon and the Legion’s Mr. Kremer will raise the flag.

Refreshments and beverages will be served at the Legion after the event.

Any drug that keeps a soldier deployed and fighting also saves money on training and deploying replacements. But there is a downside: the number of soldiers requiring long-term mental-health services soars with repeated deployments and lengthy combat tours. If troops do not get sufficient time away from combat — both while in theater and during the “dwell time” at home before they go back to war — it’s possible that antidepressants and sleeping aids will be used to stretch an already taut force even tighter. I speak from experience because I am one of them.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

!

Remember to visit the graves of those you know who gave their lives for your freedoms you enjoy today, and ever day, place a small flag upon their graves, say a quiet thank you on this Memorial Day. Should you see a man in military garb, or waring a hat noting he or she are veterans say thank you and give them your hand on this Memorial Day.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post

Any drug that keeps a soldier deployed and fighting also saves money on training and deploying replacements. But there is a downside: the number of soldiers requiring long-term mental-health services soars with repeated deployments and lengthy combat tours. If troops do not get sufficient time away from combat — both while in theater and during the “dwell time” at home before they go back to war — it’s possible that antidepressants and sleeping aids will be used to stretch an already taut force even tighter. I speak from experience because I am one of them.
    Riven: Thank you for serving our Country. I will pray that you have perfect peace and tranquility in your life. I believe through Him all things are possible. I've had close friends who fought in the Viet Nam War so I understand perfectly what you are speaking about.

Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post
    D: What a beautiful post ... Amen Brother.

Semper Par

Soldier

I was that which others did not want to be.

I went where others feared to go, and did what others failed to do.

I asked nothing from those who gave nothing, and reluctantly accepted the thought of eternal loneliness . . . should I fail.

I have seen the face of terror; felt the stinging cold of fear; and enjoyed the sweet taste of a moment’s love.

I have cried, pained, and hoped . . . but most of all, I have lived times others would say were best forgotten.

At least some day I will be able to say that I was proud of what I was . . a soldier.

George L. Skypeck
    Vietnam Veteran

Un-named

They answered when called :
    Asked for little and got less :
    And made us poorer for their passing
    But richer for their sacrifice.

In remembering the dead
    We embrace the living :
    For we ought to remember
    Better than we do

Steven T. Banko III
    Vietnam Veteran
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

!!

This Memorial Day Weekend is different than the one of last year. Last Year more people thanks me for my service knowing I was a Vietnam Vet as the hat I was waring.

This year, no one, not one person gave me a thank you. I can see the change in this country has a different view toward Veterans this year, and it isn't good. It seems to be all lip service and nothing more.

This weekend I had more rude people give me bad looking satires the ones I received back in 1971 upon my return Home from the War. This Obama guy has changed something in America, and the people and Obama don't seem to care about the Veteran. There are no Memorial Day celebrations on TV except for just the one. Last years there were many, including the old time War movies. This year there is nothing.

Last year there was a sense of pride in America. This year there is a sense of who cares. This year I have received 6 middle fingers by other drives flashing me as they drive by.....Oh yes, there is a change in America and it isn't good.

I guess I will brush it off as maybe one of my medications are not working right. Maybe I will go to the VA on Tuesday and tell them how I am feeling, maybe they will tell me my PTSD is biting me in my ASS again or may be I will just head to the woods away from bad people....
    Riven37
    _________

A Carrier at War: USS Enterprise

Riven37
    _________

America's Greatest Monuments

Riven37
    _________

Viet Nam Vets for you Thank you

To all the Viet Vets that made it back and to those who did not.

http://www.beforeyougo.us/play_byg_vn

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    This year, no one, not one person gave me a thank you.
    From one vet to another, I thank you. More than you will know.
    I never said I had no idea about most of the things you said I said I had no idea about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information