Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amherst Police Department--We need more officers!

Amherst Police Department--We need more officers!

With the increase in crime in Williamsville and Amherst, I personally feel we need more police on the streets in the village and the town. Dr. Mohan would probably like to cut corners at the police department but I emphatically state this cannot be done.

We need more officers on the beat especially in the village with the rash of burglaries and bank robberies. The criminal element has noted that banks and businesses in Amherst are a soft touch.

I suggest, that a village of Williamsville substation be created in part of the library on Main street. A police presence would definitely be beneficial to the community as a whole. We need more police officers on patrol.

Re: Amherst Police Department--We need more officers!

Originally posted by Pauldo
    With the increase in crime in Williamsville and Amherst, I personally feel we need more police on the streets in the village and the town. Dr. Mohan would probably like to cut corners at the police department but I emphatically state this cannot be done.

We need more officers on the beat especially in the village with the rash of burglaries and bank robberies. The criminal element has noted that banks and businesses in Amherst are a soft touch.

I suggest, that a village of Williamsville substation be created in part of the library on Main street. A police presence would definitely be beneficial to the community as a whole. We need more police officers on patrol.
    We have plenty. I think this is being brought up now in yet another attempt to sabotage Mohan and his efforts at reform. Or maybe it's just a coincidence that you're deciding this now, when a now retiring member of the force is walking away with an extra $100,000.

If the banks and businesses of Amherst are a "soft touch" it's because the current police force is not doing its job well enough, IMO. We pay them well enough, and, as we've seen, they get some nice benefits. They should earn it all.

There is not a physical pressence in the Village of Williamsville unless you count Old Home Days. They are doing the best job they can with the resources they possess.

I am not a policeman or have I ever been involved in law enforcement but I do know, we need more police officers on a Main Street beat in the Village of Williamsville.

There is not a physical pressence in the Village of Williamsville unless you count Old Home Days. They are doing the best job they can with the resources they possess.

I am not a policeman or have I ever been involved in law enforcement but I do know, we need more police officers on a Main Street beat in the Village of Williamsville.
    Perhaps the p.d. can redeploy some of the current force to Main Street, if it really is necessary. Or maybe the p.d. can work with Main Street businesses on preventative measures.

But hiring more police is a 100% sure-fire way to see your taxes increase. It has to be the single biggest expenses of all town departments because of size, wages and benefits involved.

If want want one of the safest towns in the USA, you need a well staffed police department. You have other problem areas in the Town of Amherst that need more officers.

Allenhurst area comes to mind as well as the Amherst and Buffalo border near Bailey avenue.

We have plenty. i just saw two cars checking out the bank lot at main & harlem. they just need to stop harassing busy motorists & catch burglars

TimeOut Chair

Re: Amherst Police Department--We need more officers!

With the increase in crime in Williamsville and Amherst, I personally feel we need more police on the streets in the village and the town.
    are you kidding? i am afriad to flick a cigarette out the window out in any place of amherst.

We need more officers on the beat especially in the village with the rash of burglaries and bank robberies.
    probably copy cats, one person doing it all or the media needing news so they target /perfect/ amherst for ppl to take notice of.

try living in a /safe/ area where 4 banks in a 3 block radius are knocked over in a week and then ask "why us?" imo reality check says amherst is not its own country and even if it was the amherst is doing some thing wrong cuz robberies happen everywhere.

Originally posted by buffy
    We have plenty. i just saw two cars checking out the bank lot at main & harlem. they just need to stop harassing busy motorists & catch burglars
    My theory: When Pauldo says we need more police, what he really means is we need another way to yank Satish Mohan's chain.

What better way to blunt the negative impact of all that unwanted publicity about the $100,000 cash payout than
    to portray the Amherst P.D. as understaffed -- especially now, while it would appear from Pauldo's message that Amherst is in the midst of a crime wave.

I can see the dog and pony show now.

The p.d. attends a town board meeting in full force; the media has been alerted. The police show visuals of shocking -- shocking! -- increases in crime. The force is doing its best, but it is stretched too thin and even if it could win approval for more hiring, no officer would want to work for Amherst -- not with the low pay, the morale problems (all due to Mohan, of course) and so on.

A lone voice in the crowd will say, "But how bad could crime be? I thought we were the safesty city in the U.S" and whoever is there representing the p.d. will say it's only because of the dedication of the current employees... yada, yada, yada.

I know I sound cynical. But let's face it. Anyone who has ever watched how government works knows the script.....

Give it up

Will you whiners please give it up!
    There are those who may have an honest difference of opinion with Supervisor Mohan and not because they want to see him fail, but rather, because they have an honest disagreement with his policies. Not everyone marches in lock step.
    dono

Re: Give it up

Originally posted by Dvoakley
    Will you whiners please give it up!
    There are those who may have an honest difference of opinion with Supervisor Mohan and not because they want to see him fail, but rather, because they have an honest disagreement with his policies. Not everyone marches in lock step.
    This thread is about whether the Amherst P.D. needs more officers. I have an opinion on that, one which involves a political component.

Now, do you have a thoughtful opinion on the question being discussed here? If not, you're off topic.

You brought it up

Don't you have an answer? Just read your previous post where you questioned motives. I'm on point. You want to change the rules toyour benefits. Get real.
    dono

If want want one of the safest towns in the USA, you need a well staffed police department. You have other problem areas in the Town of Amherst that need more officers.

Allenhurst area comes to mind as well as the Amherst and Buffalo border near Bailey avenue.
    Build more Dougnut shops they will come.

Re: You brought it up

Originally posted by Dvoakley
    Don't you have an answer? Just read your previous post where you questioned motives. I'm on point. You want to change the rules toyour benefits. Get real.
    I think I see problem here. In an earlier post, I said Amherst does not need more police. The follow up post you were replying to dealt with my opinion about the motive for calling for more police.

I gather you don't agree with my theory on motivation. But, do you have an opinion about whether Amherst needs more police? That's what I meant by staying on topic.

I started this post because I see a need for more police. Increase in crime, robberies etc. definitely indicate a trend in Amherst. When was the last time that 6 banks in the Town of Amherst were robbed within a month?

Buffalo consolidated many of its precints and crime increased dramatically. Case in point, West Ferry substation that was leveled for a parking lot. Why would you remove a police station from an area noted for crime?

Amherst police need increased resources to protect our safety.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I started this post because I see a need for more police. Increase in crime, robberies etc. definitely indicate a trend in Amherst. When was the last time that 6 banks in the Town of Amherst were robbed within a month?

Buffalo consolidated many of its precints and crime increased dramatically. Case in point, West Ferry substation that was leveled for a parking lot. Why would you remove a police station from an area noted for crime?

Amherst police need increased resources to protect our safety.

Get a pistol permit if you are so scared for your safety.I have one.Yea though I walk through the Alley of death,My Staff and my Ruger they comfort me. Or move to Kenmore where their is bacon on every corner.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information