Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Ghosts of WNY Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    I love a good research question!
    I could never be that patient and thourough to do that kind've research.
    That wa awesome.
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock
    thank rez for the support of catagorizing members.

back to topic. la bella sicilia /havent been there is years - dont know if they are still open/ was a great place for italian food. they invented the concept of ppl waiting to get in.

Is that on the West Side near or on Grant? If so, it's still open, and very good food.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by Pauldo
    Kitty Turgeon owns the Roycoft Inn?
    The Turgeon's have been involved with the Roycroft for a VERY long time, I believe even before it's remodeling to some degree. (Some ancestor of theirs worked with Albert Hubbard or something? Or maybe I'm wayyyy off.....it's been awhile)

I used to be a tour guide there in high school...the food has greatly improved since then.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    Is that on the West Side near or on Grant? If so, it's still open, and very good food.

different place....i think la bella sicilia that is referred to is/was on genesee st near the airport.....???

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    different place....i think la bella sicilia that is referred to is/was on genesee st near the airport.....???

What's the place I'm thinking of then? I'd like to go back there, some coworkers and I went there for lunch one day during an inservice.

Oh, Gabriel's Gate is still open!

How about:

Four Seasons (commercialized, but many memories in those)

As a kid:

Major Magicks! (I think that's how they spelled it?)

the original owner of the gate,leonard silveri,just passed away a few weeks ago....he sold the place to dave forness.
    forness,i think,still owns it.....dave still owns hemingway's....might still have something to do with birchfield's......the place across the street from the gate (frizzy's) was owned by forness,'til he sold it to the frisicaro's.....
    david also owns the buffalo house...on franklin....

How about the Milky Way Restaurant on Main Street in Williamsville where now the Original Pancake House is located.

Mike Milky, the owner, had a couple of other restaurants in the area. The one thing the Milky Way Restaurant was known for was absolutely the worst cup of coffee ever brewed. It tasted as if it was made with used gym socks.
    "Kick him when he's down, he's easier to reach."
    Scott Hall

There's more!

Pizza John's on Lovejoy had some great Italian specialties back in the 70's.
    The best pizza was at Lou-gus Restaurant on Genesee St. near the city line. We ate there on closing nite a couple years back. Too bad about that Mexican place on Union, they made mole enciladas that were to die for! BUSTED!!!
    Citymouse already named Dan Montgomery's on exchange. That place was practically a museum! Best jukebox in the city! We used to go there after dinner for drinks (Singapore Slings). Remember the waitress uh-huuuhhhmmm???

I've read through all the restaurants identified and have these to add (have really enjoyed reading this thread):
    "No Name" on Elmwood at Bidwell - was a great bar, yes, but also a good restaurant (and great cheesecake) in the 70's
    McMahon's in Snyder - a classic
    The Place on the West Side
    Just Pasta on the West Side
    Lala on Kenmore - great fish fry
    King Choi in Tonawanda
    and not a restaurant, but "Fresh Milk" at 7 Corners (Eggert, Millersport, Longmeadow corner) was the go-to place for Perry's ice cream on a summer day

The name escapes me of another restaurant on Kenmore near Colvin, a classic

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information