Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give me the penny........

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Give me the penny........

I'm just kind of wondering, if the group that's asking for the penny would put the same amount of effort into getting rid of the penny would it be gone? So much said about sharing, nothing said about getting rid of the extra "TAX" we pay....... As a radio Jockey used to say in Ohio (Earl Pitts) "Wake up America" (WNY), how about electing those that promise to roll back the penny tax!

I'm kind of thinking we are letting this penny thing get out of hand, what happens when the penny isn't enough? Are those same people going to make it a temp. 2 cents? Bail out Buffalo, here is some common sense.......Why don't all those people who are getting laid off, have been laid off and who are afraid of being laid off, not getting a raise, worried about contributing to medical or forced to participate in a 401K for retirement........Just move back into the city?????Just move back into the City?????????

what happens when the penny isn't enough?
    I wondered that very same question myself. Sure, every penny adds up... but how long will it last?

At the same time, I question why Buffalo hasn't been part of the process of sharing in the first place.

Originally posted by Allyssa

At the same time, I question why Buffalo hasn't been part of the process of sharing in the first place.
    The penny was to help the county get out of it's financial woes...Once they started running in the black the County of Erie voters should have raised a stink.....The only stink now being raised is by Buffalo....They want the fair share of an un-fair "tax".. It's hard to understand why people want and put up with this temp "tax" It wasn't supposed to last this long! Am I the only one who see's this???

But Buffalo has been getting part of the penny, like library funding for example.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

But Buffalo has been getting part of the penny, like library funding for example.
    that's BS and you know it... library funding; unlike the Penny sharing is system-wide and distributed throughout the county for libraries only. Additionally, the libraries are in no way affiliated with extra 1 cent collected so what you've said has no relivence.

Ahhhh, no. About 8 different ways of no. We looked at the Library funding pie chart together, remember? And you pointed out that "the libraries are funded by the county (about 70%)", in your argument the libraries don't cost the city anything, remember? And there does that 70% come from? The COUNTY GENERAL FUND. And what fills the county general fund? You guessed it - the 1% SALES TAX and property tax.

So, 70% of your library funding comes from the county which comes from the 1% sales tax. Simple.

So the statement...
    ...the libraries are in no way affiliated with extra 1 cent collected so what you've said has no relivence.
    ...is absolutely false. And, relivence is spelled relevance....

I hope you found this educational. As I've said before, try the Economics 101 class at ECC. You'll find it thrilling! I do believe there is a prerequisite for algebra that you'll probably have trouble with. I suggest you find a high school student who can tutor you in algebra prior to taking Econ 101.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Curmudgeon
    [B]
    So, 70% of your library funding comes from the county which comes from the 1% sales tax. Simple.

Oh my........... If the county provides 70% of the funding for the library.......shouldn't they have some kind of say in how it's spent? Build new or pay for the old? Double the cost for the old! Here's something to ponder....if the city had control of the library mess......We wouldn't even have one in SB........Crum your my hero...............

NOT!!!!

The library funding comes from the property tax alone and not strictly from the additional 1 cent collected on sales tax. Once it's all mixed into the general fund then it's called soup... but we're talking about the single ingredients.

Besides with your way of thinking, I suppose all the towns, villages and etc. throughout Erie County should be excused from gaining a percentage of the 1% because they all have COUNTY libraries too. Are you really saying that no one deserves to get back what we all pay into? What makes another municipality more justified to gaining the extra penny when they all have public libraries funded by the county?

I do apologize for the typographical error.

Everything else you've stated is irrelevant to the topic, so I shalln't lessen myself to the requirements, conditions or qualifications you have suggested. Let's try to keep an eye on the ball, okay?

sbGUY27
    how can the libraries be funded by property tax when all of that went to medicaid?

The 1% was given to the county so that it could pay for the services such as libraries that were draining the system (because libraries do not make revenue)

The library funding comes from the property tax alone and not strictly from the additional 1 cent collected on sales tax.

This is a classic example of "magical thinking".

You can't draw money to pay for a program from the general fund and say "I'm only spending property tax dollars, not sales tax dollars".

That's because tax money is FUNGABLE.

Here's the definition:
    http://define.ansme.com/words/f/fungible.html

This is a common self-deception practiced by people who engage in magical thinking. You are not alone.

Which is it FUNGABLE or (words/f/) fungible?

since you engage in magical thinking, it really doesn't matter...

This is a classic example of "magical thinking".
    Amounts are collected from property taxes for a specific thing and aditional sales tax percentage is taken for another... I beleive my way of thinking is more like reality.

There can be 300 different ways money is funneled into the general fund... but this topic is about the 1% sales tax that New York State should be sharing with Buffalo as well as Erie County.

Amounts are collected from property taxes for a specific thing and aditional sales tax percentage is taken for another
    That's what you are told. The reality is these funds are comingled and shifted according to need whenever nessessary.

it's like if you worked 2 jobs, got fired from one, and then told some of your creditors you're not paying them because your "McDonalds" paycheck pays those bills, and not your other bills that you pay with your "Burger king" check.

Libraries receive a portion of their funding from county sales tax. this is a fact. you are not familiar with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). look it up. Unfortunately, GAAP is not magical thinking...

The bottom line is if you share the penny, that COUNTY revenue stream will have to be made up with another revenue source, i.e. property tax. The decision is do you want to pay sales tax or property tax, and I'm not sure which I would rather pay.

I do know that before money is dumped ANYWHERE, the fiscal house should be put in AND kept in order. Or else it is just a waste of money!

I'd really rather see the 8th penny eliminated and have property tax go down, but what are the chances?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information