Thread: Cheektowaga Plow Your Roads!

Cheektowaga Plow Your Roads!

Unfortunately yesterday, I had to drive to the post office in Cheektowaga on Cayuga Road near the airport. The roads were salted until I crossed Werhle Drive into Cheektowaga. Union wasn't plowed or salted, Cleveland Drive wasn't plowed or salted and Cayuga Road near the post office made it three in a row.

Cheektowaga puts drivers at risk by not mainting their roads. At least in the Town of Amherst, the majority of the roads are salted and plowed.

TimeOut Chair
    not a prob in da city
    Last edited by woodstock; October 9th, 2008 at 08:24 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Hey there goes Citymouse with his laptop in his plow

I noticed the poor plowing too. Cheetowaga will blame it on the county and state for not maintaining their roads. Try living on a dead end street in Cheektowaga. We are the last to see a plow. I think they contract some guy with a plow on his pick-up to do our streets (in Cedargrove) Worst yet is being the last house on that dead end street.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    For what I pay cheektowaga in taxes your Road should be plowed as fast as anywhere else.

Every time i've driven through cheektowaga, their roads always seem to be plowed nicely. They were always done before West Seneca, when i lived there.

Call the Cheek HWY Dept IMMEDIATELY.
    They're normally very good about this.

One thing to note, however - they dont' plow the county or state roads - and union is one of them. Yeah I know blah blah just do it - but they can't plow those roads - only town roads. If they didn't get it done and it's not theirs though the Hwy Dept will chove a bug in someone's ass at the state, etc. to make sure it's done.

RE; Cedargrove - I'd call them ASAP Emerald. Cedargrove has gotten so much press lately, I'm sure they'll work to remedy it to stay out of a bad light.

Dont' forget - Highway Dept is an ELECTED post - so they tend to be motivated to work a bit harder .
    "I know the man. he is not using a theasuarus."

Gold Member
    RE; Cedargrove - I'd call them ASAP Emerald. Cedargrove has gotten so much press lately, I'm sure they'll work to remedy it to stay out of a bad light.
    Last time I called, I got yelled at! How dare I request that they do their job!! (And no, I didn't get a name, the person refused, and refused to let me speak to her boss, and hung up on me. And I was being NICE!)
    I won't waste my time again...

Speaking of not doing their jobs - apparently the 3" of snow we got on Friday was enough to keep the garbagemen from working. Waste Management (recycling) still made it, but the garbageman did not. It must've been too cold, union regs. or something. Our cans and those of all of our neighbors sat at the curb for the whole weekend, getting knocked over by the wind, and making for a Thanksgiving feast for the neighborhood rodents. Kudos to Cheektowaga, if the intentention was to make sure no rats went hungry, then it was another job well done.

The moral of the story? That the garbage service should be outsourced just like recycling.

Does anyone know if the garbagemen were paid for this "snow day"? I sure hope not... If it was a real storm, then by all means, stay home. But the sky was blue most of the day, sure it was cold and there was *some* snow, but this is WNY, after all, deal with it

George

You just live in the wrong spot. Living close to the Airport isn't cool...Now on my street the truck's. Yes, I said truck's, they come down one side and up the other side of my street....There is a house up for sale at the end of my block.....
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by GeorgeB
    Last time I called, I got yelled at! How dare I request that they do their job!! (And no, I didn't get a name, the person refused, and refused to let me speak to her boss, and hung up on me. And I was being NICE!)

Speaking of not doing their jobs - apparently the 3" of snow we got on Friday was enough to keep the garbagemen from working. Waste Management (recycling) still made it, but the garbageman did not. It must've been too cold, union regs. or something. Our cans and those of all of our neighbors sat at the curb for the whole weekend, getting knocked over by the wind, and making for a Thanksgiving feast for the neighborhood rodents. Kudos to Cheektowaga, if the intentention was to make sure no rats went hungry, then it was another job well done.

The moral of the story? That the garbage service should be outsourced just like recycling.

Does anyone know if the garbagemen were paid for this "snow day"? I sure hope not... If it was a real storm, then by all means, stay home. But the sky was blue most of the day, sure it was cold and there was *some* snow, but this is WNY, after all, deal with it
    Did you call anyone?
    No. Probably not.
    "I know the man. he is not using a theasuarus."

TimeOut Chair
    da buffalo plows come out
    Last edited by woodstock; October 9th, 2008 at 08:24 PM.

Originally posted by GeorgeB

I never have a problem with the garbage being picked up. They put the cans back upside down. No more throwing them around! If you have a problem with a pick up, call the sanitation department ASAP! Ask for Frank Max. He will make them go back and pick it up.

The highway department is a different story. There have been times when there was a huge snowfall and our side streets don't see a plow in days. I have called and insisted on talking to Chris Kowal, highway super, or a foreman. I just tell them that emergency vehicles can not get down my street and if something happens, there will be a lawsuit. Plows will show up within an hour.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Gold Member
    I never have a problem with the garbage being picked up. They put the cans back upside down. No more throwing them around! If you have a problem with a pick up, call the sanitation department ASAP! Ask for Frank Max. He will make them go back and pick it up.

The highway department is a different story. There have been times when there was a huge snowfall and our side streets don't see a plow in days. I have called and insisted on talking to Chris Kowal, highway super, or a foreman. I just tell them that emergency vehicles can not get down my street and if something happens, there will be a lawsuit. Plows will show up within an hour.
    Thanks for the tips!! I've marked down those names for future reference.

I honestly can say I've never noticed a problem with plowing. They are usually on top of it right after the snow stops, and even go a little bit overboard - running the plows with only 1/4" of residual snow on the roads. Seems wasteful, but better than not plowing at all!

Seriously, thanks again for the tips!

Plowing has always been an issue on my street. It seems to be easier to go down the street behind mine and then out again through the street before mine and leave us in the snow. They need to hire the guy who drives the ice cream truck. He always manages to find a way to get down all the streets

The state DOT guys, however, do a fabulous job in the Broadway/Transit area. I'm through there every weekend in the wee, early hours and never have a problem. I also joke that you can tell exactly when you cross the border from Cheektowaga into Depew because of the difference in the roads.

One snowy Sunday I saw quite a few Cheektowaga trucks out, all riding around with the plows UP!! I couldn't tell if they were salting or not.

Linda
    Linda
    ==========================

I don't want to move, I want to make a difference.

no problem with either plows or garbage and i live right by the airport
    ASERJKFH ASJKL

Thread Information