Thread: Cheney is a Felon -- Guilty of Treason

Cheney is a Felon -- Guilty of Treason

I really only see two ways to go on this: either full out, or hide it all.

If we want to release the photos, it needs to be part of a Truth-and-Reconciliation style proceeding. We need to literally take our country (and the world) through a cathartic airing and disavowment of our torture practices.

But if we don't do that, then releasing parts piecemeal serves no good purpose. Since Pres. Obama already said he has no interest in pursuing any legal action against those who pushed the polic --, and even if he did the Bush apologists in the Repub party would stonewall the whole way -- dribbling bits and pieces behind will only serve as a constant dripping-tap like reminder of our immoral and illegal actions.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Since it happened during a "war". He should be tried under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Wow...I really put the wrong post under this thread! What I meant to say:

Ex Vice Pres Cheney claims there are classified memos which show the "real" information that our torturous interrogations yielded. If these memos are classified, it is illegal for anyone to divulge their contents.

Since Cheney no longer has the authority to divulge the contents of anything much more secretive than what's in his sock drawer, his public airing of the contents of these classified memos is a breach of national security. Being that we are at war, and the classified information he is divulging is about our enemy, this is not just a felony, but tantamount to treason.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Unregistered

So now he's guilty of two acts of treason....

1) mastermind behind the outing of a spy
    2) divulging of classified material

...great, let's get the bastard!

Disgusted and amazed how Cheney has recently stormed into the media defending his torture program and is speaking with the same air of authority and self-righteousness he did as VP/President!

I do not think that Obama wants to even go NEAR bringing Cheney to trial for war crimes as that would (logically) necessitate bringing everyone else directly involved in Cheney's torture fantasyland to trial for war crimes;Rumsfeld, four star generals, CIA bigwigs, too many to imagine.

What will President Obama say if a "journalist" from the mainstream media asks him about bringing war criminals (from the Bush Admn) to justice?
    "We have to move past that shameful and disgraceful point in our history and look towards the future, to move on for we can not change the sins of our past." Some garbage like that.

Obama was PRESSURED into releasing what he DID release-
    And Cheney is still very, very powerful influence-wise;I have a "gut" feeling (not conspiracy theory) that PART of the "deal" getting Obama into office was NOT to bring ANY KINDS OF LEGAL charges against members of the Bush adminstration.

So, as usual, the bad guys win, neo con nazis in the media continue defending torture's "good points' using transparently fallacious arguments while the monster who helped get us into this economic disaster has the umitigated arrogrance to defend doing what was clearly "the wrong thing."
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Quote Originally Posted by CSense View Post
    Since it happened during a "war". He should be tried under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
    Why? He's not part of the military. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Wow...I really put the wrong post under this thread! What I meant to say:

Ex Vice Pres Cheney claims there are classified memos which show the "real" information that our torturous interrogations yielded. If these memos are classified, it is illegal for anyone to divulge their contents.

Since Cheney no longer has the authority to divulge the contents of anything much more secretive than what's in his sock drawer, his public airing of the contents of these classified memos is a breach of national security. Being that we are at war, and the classified information he is divulging is about our enemy, this is not just a felony, but tantamount to treason.
    Yeah, but you're still getting it wrong. It's a little more involved and nuanced than a "sock drawer."

Treason? Perhaps. But regardless and given the information that is now coming to light, Cheney and his ilk are most certainly beginning to look like potential war criminals. That we get into the weeds deep enough to try him for treason? I find that unlikely.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

My money sez Darth Cheney is blitzing the media in hopes of stymieing, or at least slowing, investigations, via "truth commission" and/or actual criminal trials, into possible crimes committed by the 'Dubya Administration. He's not stupid and has to be aware of the liability he may be exposed to. Though, I'm sure there is a hardwired authoritarian streak him that is sure he did nothing wrong.

Strange times ahead, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke View Post
    Why? He's not part of the military. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
    I was just using their logic, as per the detainees at gitmo. What is good for the goose....

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke View Post
    Yeah, but you're still getting it wrong. It's a little more involved and nuanced than a "sock drawer."

Treason? Perhaps. But regardless and given the information that is now coming to light, Cheney and his ilk are most certainly beginning to look like potential war criminals. That we get into the weeds deep enough to try him for treason? I find that unlikely.
    I'm still saying that Cheney gets off absolutely free from his days as Veep. If the guy technically has no power and no responsibility, how can he commit a crime? He may have advised in a horrific way, but it's the Pres who gets the final decision. Cheney's "power" only existed as far as Bush let it.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by CSense View Post
    I was just using their logic, as per the detainees at gitmo. What is good for the goose....
    Except Cheney ain't part of the gander. He's a civilian. And always been a civilian, subject to civilian laws. Even when he was the VP.
    Last edited by raoul duke; May 18th, 2009 at 09:40 PM.

I'm still saying that Cheney gets off absolutely free from his days as Veep. If the guy technically has no power and no responsibility, how can he commit a crime? He may have advised in a horrific way, but it's the Pres who gets the final decision. Cheney's "power" only existed as far as Bush let it.
    I have no power either, but in a minute or two I'm going to rip a crime out of my lovely handcrafted glass bong. Does that make my possession of marijuana any less criminal? In the eyes of the law: unfortunately and decidedly no.

By Constitutional proscription, the VP has very little power. That doesn't mean that he can violate established law with impunity, however. Sure he can pass some of the "buck" off to Shrub, but that doesn't excuse or substantially mitigate his liability in perpetrating possible war crimes.

If we codify exceptions to the rule of law for the powerful, which Cheney most certainly was/is, what makes us any different from any other oligarchy where the privileged rule the subjected, yet answer to a different set of laws?
    Last edited by raoul duke; May 18th, 2009 at 09:47 PM.

I really only see two ways to go on this: either full out, or hide it all.

If we want to release the photos, it needs to be part of a Truth-and-Reconciliation style proceeding. We need to literally take our country (and the world) through a cathartic airing and disavowment of our torture practices.

But if we don't do that, then releasing parts piecemeal serves no good purpose. Since Pres. Obama already said he has no interest in pursuing any legal action against those who pushed the polic --, and even if he did the Bush apologists in the Repub party would stonewall the whole way -- dribbling bits and pieces behind will only serve as a constant dripping-tap like reminder of our immoral and illegal actions.
    How much "angrier" can the REAL terrorists get if we reveal the full truth?

If President Obama and those who support him (higher ups) TRULY want to MEND, to FIX and HEAL America's image with the world, we have to "come clean";Nothing to hide.

As far as bringing the Son Of Satan, Dick Cheney and the Pillsbury Pig Boy, Rove to TRIAL-GOOD BLOODY LUCK!!! HA!!!

Cheney and the rest of his gang of monsters (yes, "monsters") KNOW they're untouchable. That's why "Dick" has NO PROBLEM defending the indefensible;Hell, WAR CRIMES on national TV, for the U.S. and rest of the world to see and those who THINK to have their jaws drop at Cheney's unmitigated, unapologetic arrogance.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Thread Information