Thread: Even With FOIL ,Town Refuses to Give Information

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH

Angry Even With FOIL ,Town Refuses to Give Information

Trying to get any information about how our taxes are being spent in Amherst is almost inpossible. What is the Town hiding from the public. Let us call Town Hall at 631-7002 and asked our Council members.

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH

What Does FOIL stand For?

FOIL stands for Freedom of Information Law. It is one of the public's strongest tools to force our government to give us certain information

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    THey can't release that info. It may show how un-qualified they are to do thier jobs.. Would you cut your own throat even though your actions are costing the residents millions?

You may want to let them know that you are making the request under General Municipal Law Section 51 in addition to FOIL.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What is that law?

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=48&a=6

It provides in pertinent part:

". . . All books of minutes, entry or account, and the books, bills, vouchers, checks, contracts or other papers connected with or used or filed in the office of, or with any officer, board or commission acting for or on behalf of any county, town, village or municipal corporation in this state or any body corporate or other unit of local government in this state which possesses the power to levy taxes or benefit assessments upon real estate or to require the levy of such taxes or assessments or for which taxes or benefit assessments upon real estate may be required pursuant to law to be levied, including the Albany port district commission, are hereby declared to be public records, and shall be open during all regular business hours, subject to reasonable regulations to be adopted by the applicable local legislative body, to the inspection of any taxpayer or registered voter, who may copy, photograph or make photocopies thereof on the premises where such records are regularly kept. . ."

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH

Angry

Our town attorney informed me tonight that the town has changed the law. Before going to court you can write the town attorney letter for him to inject for you and try to get the information.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Nope, I can't remember the name but who is the main lawyer in NYS for FOI's? I think it's time he's informed what the town attorney is up to. They are just trying to hide what ever before FOI is produce to protect there butts...

I do not have a name but here is the website for the Committee on Open Government: http://www.dos.state.ny.us/coog/coogwww.html it has an e-mail address of opengov@dos.state.ny.us.

Originally posted by AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH
    Our town attorney informed me tonight that the town has changed the law. Before going to court you can write the town attorney letter for him to inject for you and try to get the information.
    Did you ever get what you were requesting?

Dan

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH

Foils that lied to the Public

About Nov.6th,2003, I submited a FOIL request to the Town Engineer concerning the removal of three flights of stainsteel strairs in Building One in Plant 16 about 2 and half years ago. I wanted to know what we did with the stairs we remove? Did we sell them to a junkyard and how much did we get pay for them?
    His written reply was that he just completed the removal of stairs in such building because OSHA informed him that the stairs were rotting away and he was sure what the steps were made out off . I contacted OSHA,they stated that they have no power over public facilites and never was in our plant. I have talked to people in the plant that said it was only one step that needed to be replaced which they could have done in house but instead we spend $68,000.00 for a company to do the work. We had used this company just a week before to help put in our Bar Screens.Our Town Board is aware of this affair and Supervisor Grelick has informed the Board not to do anything about it because it's a lie. She has the right as a person not to like me but as our Town Supervisor she is possibility allowing major theft

Thread Information