Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The lunacy begins...

The lunacy begins...

...You often get this kind of reaction by alcoholics who are confronted with their "problem". From the Buffalo news:

Council members challenge control board

Defiant Common Council members sent a stinging message to the control board Thursday, vowing to fight any cuts that "take the city apart limb by limb."
    One lawmaker even dared the board to flex its muscle and try to fine, jail or remove from office elected leaders who refuse to comply with the final plan to close the city's budget gap. The state law that created the panel gives it the power to impose sanctions on officials who willfully violate the plan.

"Take the message back - let them try it," said South Council Member Mary M. Martino. "Let them make a poster child out of a couple of us."

"I'd be the first one in handcuffs if they try to make me do something I don't believe in," Delaware Council Member Marc A. Coppola said following a lively Budget Committee meeting. "I'm not afraid to stand up for what I believe in."

During a strategy session that lasted more than three hours, some Council members criticized new cuts contained in Mayor Anthony M. Masiello's revised plan. Most attention focused on a decision to lay off nearly two-thirds of building inspectors. Others are worried about an accelerated timeline for closing fire companies and laying off firefighters.

Some elements of the plan - most notably the fire company closings - would have to be approved by the Council before they could take effect.

North Council Member Joseph Golombek Jr. said he is worried the city soon will feel the consequences of a control board with "political" motives, a panel that he claimed was "rammed down our throats."

"We can destroy the city and it's not going to solve our problems long term," Golombek said. "We have a control board that has a political agenda. It doesn't have an agenda to save the city, and it's absolutely horrendous."

Many Council members have complained that the board, dominated by appointees of Gov. George E. Pataki, is too prone to adopt positions favored by the governor or County Executive Joel A. Giambra.

Nancy Brock, a control board spokeswoman, said members have no comment on any of the issues raised during Thursday's Council discussion. Council President James W. Pitts predicted that the control board will reject Masiello's revised plan, just as it did his original plan for dealing with budget shortfalls.

Some Council members raised fears that the mayor's plan will cause a serious erosion of services. The plan would eliminate 624 jobs over four years, including 156 filled positions on Nov. 1.

Masiello's top budget adviser told Council members there's no doubt some services will be affected.

Finance Commissioner James B. Milroy strongly implied that the control board is to blame, claiming the mayor's first plan was a "much better re-engineering plan."

He said the first document allowed more time to make changes and to try to win "cooperation" from unions.

But he told Council members the control board's instructions were crystal clear - make deeper cuts, and do it faster.

The control board rejected Masiello's first plan, giving him until Oct. 1 to submit revisions. The board will meet Tuesday to discuss the changes.

If control board members don't think the modifications solve the city's fiscal problems, they can impose their own plan.

"I sometimes wonder if the city should have stuck to its original plan," said Majority Leader Rosemarie LoTempio.

If city officials forced the control board to impose its own plan, LoTempio argued, then board members would have to shoulder the responsibility for what she fears could be "chaos."

Council members asked the Law Department whether, in fact, the control board would have the power to threaten city officials with fines, removal from office or even misdemeanor charges if they tried to block components of the final plan.

For example, could the board legally require the Council to lay off dozens of building inspectors?

Assistant Corporation Counsel Darryl McPherson said the answer hinges on whether the board calls for cuts in specific areas or merely requires the city to hit specific financial targets.

But after the meeting, LoTempio told some Council members she suspects the control board is trying to determine how much power it has to sanction officials who don't comply with its directives.

"They're looking at legal ways to remove you from office, don't you understand?" she told three lawmakers.

Fillmore Council Member David A. Franczyk said he doesn't think any elected official will try to "sabotage" whatever fiscal plan is ultimately approved.

But he predicted that if the board ever tried to force the issue of imposing sanctions on officials, it would raise serious constitutional questions.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

sbGUY27
    If these people were responsible to begin with, they wouldn't be afraid of being marginalized right now.

You often get this kind of reaction by alcoholics who are confronted with their "problem".
    I don't see the connection on how drinking is associated with the financial problems in Buffalo. Did the city drink it's paycheck down at the corner bar?

Defiant Common Council members sent a stinging message to the control board Thursday, vowing to fight any cuts that "take the city apart limb by limb."
    the council members are pushing very hard not to have the city sink into Lake Erie; The control Board cutting everything off at the neck doesn't eliminate the problems Buffalo has.

All you ever see if the "dollar amount" Crum... don't you consider the wee-people that work and live an average life in the city?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

A thought for a monday.

You know what a secret of running a successful business or anything? DON'T borrow to pay bills if the money isn't coming in to start with. ALL you do is make those bills more expensive seeing you have interest on top of it. You end up compounding the issue years later. Oh wait they don’t care seeing it’s the residents that foot the bill.

Also, you do not make STUPID labor contracts with guarantees with no regards to cost. You have to set limits. Period.

The people that negotiated for the residents are stupid and left the resident so open ended on cost controls for labor of civil employees should be fired on the spot. We do not want them negotiating for the resident.

What if health insurance goes up by a factor of 20 times? They expect us to just keep paying it for them? That’s insane.

Same as with paychecks. A job is worth only so much. No matter how you want to define that service it's only worth so much. Do we allow the politicians to guarantee 3% or higher pay raises each year so they keep getting their votes from civil employees? Look how the unions are surrounding Dan Ward. I wonder what he’s going to promise them to get their votes. We should put the power of pay raises for elected officials including congress in the hands of the people that pay those checks. It's conflict of interest when we allow the politicians to let a pay raise go though for civil employees.

Who watched the gangs of NY movie? Tammy Hall stated give them soup and bread to get those votes. Substitute pay raises, perks, patronage in the place of soup and bread.

Do you enjoy being taken advantage of?

I don't see the connection on how drinking is associated with the financial problems in Buffalo. Did the city drink it's paycheck down at the corner bar?

Of course you do! I don't believe for a minute that you are that stupid to not see the analogy. The city government makes irresponsible choices all the time (like an alcoholic) and denies it has a problem when confronted with it (like an alcoholic). So don't waste our time being coy.

...vowing to fight any cuts that "take the city apart limb by limb."
    "limb by limb" - defintion - removing self-serving political bureaucracies that the taxpayer is no longer willing to support - i.e. the democrat/civil service/union cartel.

don't you consider the wee-people that work and live an average life in the city
    It's the "wee people" who have suffered the most by far from the policies of the cartel. If there are no jobs, the "wee people" suffer. Unless they can be GIVEN a job by the cartel (civil service). See the pattern??
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

The city government makes irresponsible choices all the time (like an alcoholic) and denies it has a problem when confronted with it (like an alcoholic).
    Ohhhh, okay... I see the Metaphoric twist. In a drunken representation; but still a simile tied to financial problems Buffalo is having.

I beleive the city government is making best with the means they have as a result of New York State's irresponsiblity.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    That 1% sales is bad but think about no matter how bad the economy is you still have to pay your property taxes to support thier lifestyles. (politicians and civil servents). We are enabling them to do so each and everytime we let them give themselves a raise or new benefit.

We see where it's heading us, we should just from this point on say absolutity no more raises/beni's period. Like a time out of diping into our pockets. We don't really care if you are expecting a raise, it's hurting the area. We are willing to give you want you got so far, but no more.

A lot of taxes only happen at a point of purchase or a fee when a transaction happens. You don't have any transactions you don't have any taxes.

Sorry for babbling.

Property taxes are paid wether your are making a transaction or not.

Now i do not have any kids so school tax to me is a burden. I would rather pay a private school to teach my kids or pay a public school fee if i ever had kids. No kids no fee no tax. So when parents demand the best schools for thier children remember to think about the people that don't have any kids.

At my current rate I think my school taxes are $1800 a year. I'm going to hopefully live here for another 40 years. I'll be 89. If i pay $1800 for the next 40 years that is $72,000. Now we know those school taxes will only go up.

Once you own your home you have to pay the "Rent" wether you have a job or not.

At least with the transaction type taxes your not saddled with a monthly payment if you have no money to spend.

Now in 10 years when my home is paid off I dont expect my property tax "rent" to be almost as much as what my mortage payment has been.

If taxes double in 10 years which at current rates i can see happening, That would be $750 a month just to sit on my ass in my house.

Sorry for babbling.
    no need to apologize, babbling is a good thing

No kids no fee no tax.
    This I beleive...
    too, what about the parents that homeschool their children and still have to pay into a school tax?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    wnyresident said:

If i pay $1800 for school taxes for the next 40 years that is $72,000.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wow, what i could do with that $72,000 if I didn't have to pay it for a service i will never need or use. I could expand my business easily with that money. Or if i did have kids i could pick any private school and use that $72,000 to better my own kids not someone elses.

I can't believe how out of hand we have allowed NY state to get. Notice the politicians and civil servants are on the top of the heap in the economy here?

You know what really sucks.. that $72,000 is what i'm going to pay for the next 40 years if i stay here. knowing for a fact I will not benefit from that money spent.

This includes every property owner that is reading this site is saddled with these taxes.

Go add your school tax to see what you will pay if you stay in your own home for 40 years.

They also have lucrative school labor contracts with just about no accountability of thier work results.

Just think if I could take that money and invest it away for my retirement not thiers. $1800 a year at 3% I think is about $179687 in my pocket for my retirement not thiers.

now i think i'm finally PO'd about the tax structures in NYS and WNY. What we have now is just going to dig us deeper into the hole. Am I the only PO'd one?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    $72,000 is a lot of dollars....

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why do we give a sports team cash from our county funds?

There's enough profit there to easily pay for what ever service our county money goes for. I never go to that stadium and in all honesty I dont need to subsidize a bunch of millionares.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Do the people of Amherst enjoy paying for thier recreational ventures like the hockey rink with $100,000's of thier tax money?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Do the people of Lancaster ever wonder where did lancaster go? Seems lancaster looks like amherst that looks like cheektowaga that looks like the next burb down the line.

Perhaps all this traffic helps keep people on thier toes!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    People of buffalo, don't you even wonder why your political team did so badly against the suburbs in retaining businesses and expanding existing ones?

Looks like the politicians/unions made the cost of doing business too expensive in Buffalo so businesses went elsewhere.

Even if buffalo would lose residents you would still have businesses generating revenue. Rememeber you can't spend what you don't have and you shouldn't even borrow what you know you can't ever payback wiuthout added expense.

These Communist Council members really try to pull the wool over everyone's eyes.....

I wasn't aware the control board caused Buffalo's economic and financial implosion.....you mean someone has to convince me the Communist Council never had any input into Buffalo's demise? They are unscathed? And now they cry foul?

Jesus Buffalo....if you ever do anything right in the future.....dump all the incumbents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information