Thread: Save Gipple barns says an architectural historian

Save Gipple barns says an architectural historian

An architectural historian, John H Conlin believes the 2 barns on the Gipple property are able to be saved

“The salt box barn is the most important. They’re more important than the cabin. That’s where I would focus on, instead of the cabin,” he said. “Those two barns are Lancaster landmarks in themselves, and both could be saved.”
    http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...cabin-20131208

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    An architectural historian, John H Conlin believes the 2 barns on the Gipple property are able to be saved

As long as it does not cost this taxpayer one dime in town funds to make any Gipple Farm project restoration/recreation take place, I don't care. It is my opinion, and stated in an earlier post, that recreating a cabin from as little as six logs is asinine and the thought of moving two barns is equally so - and I consider myself a history buff.

The Hull House, the Hull House Foundation, etc. hold little interest for many residents of Lancaster and it was disappointing for some to see the withdrawal of the $2,000 tentative town budget donation to the foundation restored.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    As long as it does not cost this taxpayer one dime in town funds to make any Gipple Farm project restoration/recreation take place, I don't care. It is my opinion, and stated in an earlier post, that recreating a cabin from as little as six logs is asinine and the thought of moving two barns is equally so - and I consider myself a history buff.

The Hull House, the Hull House Foundation, etc. hold little interest for many residents of Lancaster and it was disappointing for some to see the withdrawal of the $2,000 tentative town budget donation to the foundation restored.
    But if it is a baseball entertainment building it is ok to spend those dimes. Huh

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    But if it is a baseball entertainment building it is ok to spend those dimes. Huh
    Despite all the posts on the baseball facility costs and taxpayer liability, you still have a problem understanding the operation.

The Hull House Foundation used to get $4,000 from the town. It was cut to $2,000 in Supervisor Fudoli’s first tentative 2013 budget. The reduction was approved by the four town council members.

This year Fudoli cut the donation out of the proposed budget altogether. The four council members put it back in the budget.

No money that is going to the baseball facility comes from the budget. It does not cost town taxpayers one cent in taxes. The money to put in the utilities and sustain them (as for the girl’s Pony League baseball program) come from the Town’s Park & Recreation filing fees that are paid by developers in lieu of creating playgrounds, etc. That is the intent of that program and it has nothing to do with budgeted money.

Now if you want to sympathize with the developers and new home buyers and say, “Yeah but it is ultimately the new home buyer that will be charged more for their homes to offset those developer fees,” that is the way the game is played in all municipalities and I have no problem with it.

The Depew-Lancaster Baseball League by agreement will meet all bond pay back obligations – cost of bond, principal and interest on bond.

If you still think it’s unfair, I think it’s unfair that 40-50% of new construction in Lancaster falls under Condominium Law 339-y where these homeowners get a 35-40% town and school tax break.

Lastly, my grandson no longer plays in the Depew-Lancaster Baseball League, so there is no bias on my part in supporting this project.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post

The article doesn't state that the Hull house people feel the same way about the barns. If they do, the developers and contractors who have made their money in this community could show their support to the community by donating manpower, know-how and equipment to help preserve history in assisting with the move, IMHO.

Georgia L Schlager

Anyone know if they have made any progress in the restoration of the Gipple cabin?
    It has been 8 years since the move.

Georgia L Schlager

Anyone know if they have made any progress in the restoration of the Gipple cabin?
    It has been 8 years since the move.

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information