Thread: Here's an issue....

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Here's an issue....

I spoted this one paragraph in an opinion from the everybody's column on buffalo.com

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Certain Council members look at their elected position as a job, a salary and a pension. One Council member asked, "How would you like to wake up in the morning and find out someone wants to take your job?" This is why the city is in this position. We need change, and if change means a "relic" resurfacing, I am all for it. We need to vote in the relics who care about the city and not those who think it is just a job.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's NOT a long life career...

We need change, and if change means a "relic" resurfacing, I am all for it.
    OOh, sounds like a Griffin Supporter! I swear, it wasn't my opinion in the Buffalo News... but I can surely agree with this person!

The council will be leaner after the new year. No more at large seats or elected Pres. This shifts the power to the district members. They also will now be elected to 4 year terms instead of 2.

BF

Don't blame Griffin for Masiello's mess

This is the complete opinion article from the Buffalo News

Don't blame Griffin for Masiello's mess
    10/3/2003
    The author of the letter, "Primary results were very disappointing," (a previsious opinion article from BN) certainly has a short memory. Anthony Masiello has been mayor for the past nine years. The city had no garbage tax and no control board under Jimmy Griffin, and he left office with a surplus. He also fought for the city's fair share of the additional 1 percent sales tax.

Masiello made a deal with the police union just before the control board was put in place, costing an additional $8 million. The Griffin administration proposed raises to all unions that the city could afford. Stating that Griffin was "in bed" with the fire and police unions is a fallacy.

As for economic development, the Council consistently shifted federal block grant dollars away from business, creating programs for political purposes such as building community centers. This added cost to the operating budget instead of creating private-sector jobs to increase the tax base.

Certain Council members look at their elected position as a job, a salary and a pension. One Council member asked, "How would you like to wake up in the morning and find out someone wants to take your job?" This is why the city is in this position. We need change, and if change means a "relic" resurfacing, I am all for it. We need to vote in the relics who care about the city and not those who think it is just a job.

I agree with this writter, it seems since Griffin's announcement to run for South District Common Council people are crawling out of the woodwork to bash Jimmy on everything that has fallen in the past 15 years. I still beleive Griffin, out of the spotlight can't be blamed for who's in office now. A year ago at this time... Griffin's name was hardly mentioned in conversations only until he stepped into the sunshine that people are now complaining.

Look at who's been running the city now, and listen to their "plans" they have for Buffalo ... the same plans they campaigned on and nothing got done thus far. It's time to start pointing fingers in the right direction!

Thread Information