Severely Neglected Dog Found in Front of Anima Hospital

This morning, Eyewitness News received a call about a dog outside of an animal hospital. When we arrived at the Anderson Inner City Animal Hospital, we found a severely neglected cocker spaniel, covered in mats of fur. An employee said they got a call yesterday at about 9 a-m, saying there was a dog outside, so they brought him some water. The employee said they called the city animal shelter twice, to come get the dog. But 24 hour later, the dog was sill there.

"I received a call from Channel 7 this morning tell me about this dog," said Barbara Carr of the SPCA.

That was the first the SPCA had heard about the dog, and were there within minutes. The dog was quickly picked up and treated, in terrible shape. They had to shave mats off of the cocker spaniel that should weigh about 30 pounds, but instead only weighs about 9.

"We can't tell right now if his kidneys are shut down..." said Veterinarian Karen Moran.

Meantime, we called the City of Buffalo Animal Shelter. They say they did go over to the Anderson Inner City Animal Hospital to get the dog when they were called, but that he ran away. SPCA Executive Director Barbara Carr says dogs do sometimes do that when they see officers. But what has Carr angry is that the dog sat outside an animal hospital for a full day.

"There is something seriously wrong with this dog. Anyone that works in a veterinary hospital, I don't care if it is a clerk to the hospital or up to the veterinarian, could determine that this dog was suffering," said Carr.

We tried several times to reach Doctor Anderson. Our calls have not been returned, and while we got an answer there from an employee this morning when we went over there. This afternoon, when we went back, there was a sign on the door that said closed, doctor's day off.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/44464762.html