Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Animal Abuse

Unregistered

Angry Animal Abuse

Severely Neglected Dog Found in Front of Anima Hospital

This morning, Eyewitness News received a call about a dog outside of an animal hospital. When we arrived at the Anderson Inner City Animal Hospital, we found a severely neglected cocker spaniel, covered in mats of fur. An employee said they got a call yesterday at about 9 a-m, saying there was a dog outside, so they brought him some water. The employee said they called the city animal shelter twice, to come get the dog. But 24 hour later, the dog was sill there.

"I received a call from Channel 7 this morning tell me about this dog," said Barbara Carr of the SPCA.

That was the first the SPCA had heard about the dog, and were there within minutes. The dog was quickly picked up and treated, in terrible shape. They had to shave mats off of the cocker spaniel that should weigh about 30 pounds, but instead only weighs about 9.

"We can't tell right now if his kidneys are shut down..." said Veterinarian Karen Moran.

Meantime, we called the City of Buffalo Animal Shelter. They say they did go over to the Anderson Inner City Animal Hospital to get the dog when they were called, but that he ran away. SPCA Executive Director Barbara Carr says dogs do sometimes do that when they see officers. But what has Carr angry is that the dog sat outside an animal hospital for a full day.

"There is something seriously wrong with this dog. Anyone that works in a veterinary hospital, I don't care if it is a clerk to the hospital or up to the veterinarian, could determine that this dog was suffering," said Carr.

We tried several times to reach Doctor Anderson. Our calls have not been returned, and while we got an answer there from an employee this morning when we went over there. This afternoon, when we went back, there was a sign on the door that said closed, doctor's day off.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/44464762.html

I saw that.....
    Emotions say someone should die a horrible death for this.

I don't know what makes some people animal lovers and some people capable of being so cruel to a defenseless animal....

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Enough View Post
    I saw that.....
    Emotions say someone should die a horrible death for this.

I don't know what makes some people animal lovers and some people capable of being so cruel to a defenseless animal....
    There are people who are cruel even to other people. Will **** all over them and think nothing of the person they effected. I could easily see someone being completely none caring over a animal. I could never be that way. I can't believe an animal hospital would have let a dog in that condition stay outside instead of checking it out.

Oh, this makes me sick to my stomach. I just don't know what to say.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    There are people who are cruel even to other people. Will **** all over them and think nothing of the person they effected. I could easily see someone being completely none caring over a animal. I could never be that way. I can't believe an animal hospital would have let a dog in that condition stay outside instead of checking it out.
    Broke my heart when I saw the pic
    but I've heard of tons of cases in which people died neglected in emergency rooms.
    Then you have the recent lawsuit settlement from a family in Los Angeles when their Mother was in the ER section (away from the family) on the floor in agonizing pain;Doctors, nurses and orderlies are seen on video walking around the woman dying on the floor including a janitor cleaning up AROUND the admitted woman's body.
    She soon died from some kind of gastrointestinal blockage because she was ignored;Mistread.

The things we "humans" do to other living beings always surprises me for some reason, even though I fully expect people to be monsters.

Yes. Whoever is responsible for this poor dog's condition must suffer;No "slap on the wrist," but a hard-hitting fine & sentence with no "time served."

When I see abused animals on 'Animal Planet,' it wrenches at my guts.
    Even that charity commercial with the singer Sarah McLaughlin and the photos of abused animals makes me want to cry.

Almost mind boggling that people can do this to defenseless creatures who mean no harm-That those who ignore an animal's needs for food, shelter and medical care or abuse animals can sleep without guilt.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

The SPCA location in Angola is scheduled to be closed soon. Lack of funding.

Just saw a report on Ch 2 news.Horrible what some people do to animals
    But they did say it was doing better and showed it standing up and drinking water

This is so sad. I'd like to think that if the vet of that animal hospital knew he/she would have helped beyond call the cops or dog catcher on it. Isn't that their duty?

In either event it looks like they will lose a ton more business in the future from angry pet owners. Glad I don't take my dog there.

SPCA sent me an e-mail about RED thats what they named him
    Hes holding his own but still don't know if he has internal damage
    condition guarded.So we shall see hopefully the little guy pulls through

Anyone who even brings their animal to this vet, after having seen this, deserves to be starved half to death, denied water, and left out in front of Children's Hospital to die.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Anyone who even brings their animal to this vet, after having seen this, deserves to be starved half to death, denied water, and left out in front of Children's Hospital to die.
    Does anybody here on this board do so? I'd be curious as to their stories of how the vet is normally.

I take my dog to the Animal Hospitable in Williamsville. Even though it is a hike from the West Side it is worth it. Dr. L (can't spell her name) is amazing! We found out about them through a word of mouth recommendation and that is really the only way to do it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Something just doesn't seem right. Did the vet physically know that dog was right there in front of the building? IF he did not don't go spreading BS that he left the dog in that condition. Could be possible the vet just didn't know. Did anyone ask him yet if he physically knew the dog was in front of the vet hospital?

Someone said the Buffalo Dog shelter could not catch the dog but when you see the video that dog did not look like it ran at all. So there's some BS there.

Unregistered
    awww .. poor little fella.

I sure do hope he recovers.

We had a cocker spaniel once.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Something just doesn't seem right. Did the vet physically know that dog was right there in front of the building? IF he did not don't go spreading BS that he left the dog in that condition. Could be possible the vet just didn't know. Did anyone ask him yet if he physically knew the dog was in front of the vet hospital?

Someone said the Buffalo Dog shelter could not catch the dog but when you see the video that dog did not look like it ran at all. So there's some BS there.
    res they had the vet on ch 2 news what a goof ball, the reporter asked him why he didn't bring the dog in. he said he didn't want to infect the other animals in the hospital also he said he called the BDP three times. i think they renamed the dog kenny not sure. you can send a donation to the speca to help with his care. channel 2..... on their site has a link. my cheeks are really going over this BS!!!!!! the pack is reallllly upset.

Unregistered
    EMACIATED DOG TREATED BY SPCA INTO EARLY MORNING HOURS AFTER BEING IGNORED BY VETERINARY CLINIC
    Thursday, May 7, 2009
    By: Gina Browning, SPCA Director of Public Relations, 716-629-3505

SPCA providing Red veterinary care and plenty of TLC

Suffering Dog Receiving Care and TLC in SPCA Infirmary, One of Four Animal Victims Admitted to SPCA May 6

A severely emaciated male cocker spaniel, just seven pounds and covered in mats weighing, upon removal, three pounds, is currently being treated in the infirmary of the SPCA Serving Erie County after being admitted Wednesday.

The dog was found Tuesday morning, May 5, outside the Anderson Inner City Animal Hospital, 1963 Fillmore Avenue in Buffalo, after a community member, concerned over the dog's intense suffering, called the clinic at 9:00 am and informed an employee that the dog was present outside the building.

Rather than attempting to provide care to the suffering animal, a clinic representative brought water outside to the dog and called the City of Buffalo Animal Shelter twice to remove him. A staff member from the City Shelter said he was unable to capture the dog Tuesday and left the scene. The dog returned to the outside of the animal clinic where he was then completely ignored despite his life-threatening condition, although Dr. Hector Anderson admitted to an SPCA animal cruelty investigations officer that he saw the dog and was aware of his presence.

SPCA officials finally received a call about the dog from a representative of WKBW-TV Ch. 7 early Wednesday morning when the station's newsroom was contacted about the animal by a community member, upset over the fact that the dog was still present and neglected outside the veterinary clinic for more than 24 hours. A member of the SPCA's Animal Rescue Team was dispatched within minutes; the dog was immediately retrieved and rushed to the SPCA's on-site infirmary for emergency veterinary care.

Upon arrival the emaciated and dehydrated dog, dubbed "Red" and estimated to be just three years old, was administered intravenous fluids and vitamins. Weighing in at only seven pounds (a cocker spaniel's normal weight is 28 - 30 pounds), Red received a full examination and his thick mats were shaved. According to SPCA veterinarian Dr. Karen Moran, Red is suffering from kidney malfunction and may have other internal damage. Although he is showing signs of improvement, his condition is guarded.

"We are doing everything we can to save this dog's life," says Debby Williams, SPCA veterinary services manager. "Unfortunately, in such severe starvation cases, there could be so much going on internally of which we are unaware, and his life is still in tremendous danger. We keep reminding ourselves of this fact, but taking it one day at a time in these cases is so difficult...everyone here has already fallen in love with Red and has become so attached to him. He'll be receiving plenty of TLC with practically round-the-clock care."
    "What we have here is a serious breach of ethics, as far as I'm concerned," said Barbara Carr, SPCA executive director. "A dog was in need of life-saving attention, was steps away from the entrance to a veterinary clinic, and was ignored and neglected. I can't say why the choice to ignore the dog was made, but I can say that the SPCA cannot allow an animal to be treated this way without voicing a public opinion, without making formal complaints, and without opening an investigation into the matter. I suspect the animal-lovers of our community are as outraged as we are." Carr adds, "Animals with contagious illnesses are treated on a daily basis at veterinary clinics filled with other animals receiving treatment. That's what veterinary clinics are for. They are equipped to isolate and deal with animals that may be contagious to other animals."

An SPCA investigation into this case was opened this morning. A formal complaint against the Anderson Inner City Animal Hospital was made to New York State by the SPCA yesterday.

In addition to Red, in just a 4-hour period on May 6 the SPCA infirmary received three other suffering animals in need of emergency veterinary care, two cats and a woodchuck (information on these animals will be available shortly on YourSPCA.org). Learn how you can help Red and the other victims of animal cruelty, right here. Keep watching YourSPCA.org for continuing updates on Red's condition.

http://www.yourspca.org/site/News2?p...rticle&id=6563

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information