Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: school cancels Christmas toy drive for needy under legal threat from Atheists

school cancels Christmas toy drive for needy under legal threat from Atheists

An elementary school is canceling a Christmas toy drive they have participated in for three years after a threat of legal action this year, WLTX reported.

East Point Academy in Cayce, with 360 students, is a publicly-funded charter school under the South Carolina Public Charter School District.

For the past three years, the school has participated in "Operation Christmas Child," which is affiliated with Samaritan's Purse.

Under the program, kids collect toys, pencils and other small items, pack them into shoe boxes, and donate to needy children.

That has now stopped after the school received a letter last Monday from the American Humanist Association, a national nonprofit organization with over 20,000 members and 125,000 supporters across the country, according to the letter.

The mission of American Humanist Association's legal center, according to the letter, is "to protect one of the most fundamental principles of (American) democracy: the Constitutional mandate requiring separation of church and state."

The letter called the school's involvement in Operation Christmas Child "unconstitutional."

http://www.wbtw.com/story/24004411/s...tmas-toy-drive
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Just call it a Holiday toy drive. Pretty sad.

Just have a toy drive. Kids should learn that helping their fellow humans is a human thing to do, rather than trying to get a ticket to an imaginary afterlife with an imaginary supernatural being.

Christians are so insecure about their faith that they have to use public schools to indoctrinate children. Leave it at the church where it belongs.

Samaritan's purse Is a Christian organization they can not turn their backs on their God and shame him buy hiding from his name. this organization does great works all over our country helping disaster victims. I was surprised to hear that a school was working with a Christian group to begin with. My church worked with the Marine's toy drive for years until some one decided to complain about a church helping children with the Marines. Now we just hold our own toy drive. now this school does not have it's toy drive and children don't get toys for Christmas. I wonder if this American Humanist ass. has even thought about helping these children. My guess is they just wanted to cause trouble for Christians and the run on to their next target and the hell with the kids they hurt
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

I think we hear more to this story than what has been reported.

First, why would the school district cave based on one letter? If it thought the program was in fact unconsititutional then it never should have started it in the first place. If it doesn't think the program is unconstitutional then it should havbe written back a letter saying so. It appears that its reactionary reaction is because it knows damn well it is unconstitutional and threw in the towel as soon as just one person complained. Now, you wouldn't want the school doing something that was clearly unconstitutional would you?

BTW - every person involved in the toy drive is just as free to have a toy drive program in the school without the proselytizing - the fact that they don't is good evidence that thy didn't give a damn about toys for children, they just wanted to use the program to recruit members. So now we know why they were having the toy drive in the first place - no wonder the school caved so quickly.

Aaand this is why people hate atheists. Have fun sitting at the movies while we enjoy Christmas with our families, dooshes.

"We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." --Barack Obama

I wonder if any of the members of the American Humanist Association are Muslim.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna View Post
    I wonder if any of the members of the American Humanist Association are Muslim.
    That would be a "no"...humanists are not religious - ANY religion - they believe in nature/humanity. That humans are inherently good.

Why did the school district conclude that the toy drive was unconstitutional, and why couldn't they have figured it out by themselves? Were they hoping to get away with it "until someone complained"?

They probably "concluded" that no good deed goes unpunished.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Why did the school district conclude that the toy drive was unconstitutional, and why couldn't they have figured it out by themselves? Were they hoping to get away with it "until someone complained"?
    I think atheists are the biggest hypocrites we have in our society. If these anti religious people don't like Christmas why do they take the day off from work on this Beautiful Holiday? If they are so sincere in their beliefs they should volunteer to work Christmas day or start a movement to abolish Christmas as a work holiday.Most atheists I know are lazy self centered societal parasites.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Just have a toy drive.

Christians are so insecure about their faith that they have to use public schools to indoctrinate children. Leave it at the church where it belongs.
    Only a insecure person would make such a ridiculous statement.

Seriously, the one thing Christians are NOT, is insecure about their faith.

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    I think atheists are the biggest hypocrites we have in our society. If these anti religious people don't like Christmas why do they take the day off from work on this Beautiful Holiday? If they are so sincere in their beliefs they should volunteer to work Christmas day or start a movement to abolish Christmas as a work holiday.Most atheists I know are lazy self centered societal parasites.
    In other words, you can't answer the question, you just wanted to rant and rave about people who think logically and rationally rather than believing in invisible supernatural beings that impregnate one of their creations to create a son to suffer a horrible death for the mess the supernatural being created.

As long as we on topic...would it not have been more honorable if Abraham had turned the knife on himself rather than be willing to kill his son? That bible God has a thing about sacrificing children for the sins of the fathers, I'm amazed anyone in the 21st century can advocate such a thing with a straight face.

There was ONE sacrifice, just one, for the sins of the world - through Jesus - get that fact straight.

Did you ever stop to consider that "the mess" being played out on earth with humans is to settle a battle that began with a rebellion in heaven?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information