Thread: New York City Transit Workers Strike

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Stay on topic or start a new thread

Unregistered

back on topic

Sorry Res .... i kinda expected that.

I got something for you, though:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails traffic20.jpg  

Thumbs up MOST TRUE SUWNY POST OF THE MONTH!

Originally posted by RaginTaxpayer

And, despite what native Buffalonians say .. NYC pizza is #1!
    Not even one Ray's here. Or an Original Ray's, or Famous Ray's, or an Original Famous Ray's.

srry

Originally posted by WNYresident
    Stay on topic or start a new thread
    I am also to blame on this one...Sorry...
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Unregistered
    We can still talk about the gridlock and stay on topic, can't we?

Unregistered
    Cars piled up on the Long Island Expressway heading toward the Queens Midtown Tunnel during the evening commute:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lie-queens midtowntunnel.jpg  

Unregistered
    Manhattan bound traffic on the Triborough Bridge is at a standstill, Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2005, in New York.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails triborough brige - morning commute.jpg  

Originally posted by RaginTaxpayer
    is #1!

So what do you think about living on Lawnguyland?
    The thing I like best about Long Island would be the wide variety of very good restaurants. The Italian food here is second to none. Good pizza, nice Irish pubs, glitzy diners and plenty of ethnic restaurants made me gain 25 pounds after I moved here 6 years ago!

The other good thing about Long Island is the proximity to Manhattan. Broadway shows, concerts and awesome restaurants are only a 50 minute LIRR ride away from me.

The north shore of Nassau county has all these interesting old estates and nature preserves; the eastern part of Suffolk County (particularly Riverhead and Southold)has beautiful farmland and wineries glore! (I hate the Hamptons/South fork though, too much traffic and very fake people!) Shelter Island is truly stunning.

Another good thing about Long Island is that there are jobs here! I was underemployed for 3 years in Buffalo, it took me only two weeks to find a job in my field here when I came in 1999.

Now for the bad part: the people are the most self-centered, arrogant and nasty people I've ever met on earth. They have this superior attitude that looks down upon the rest of the country like were a bunch of unsophisticated hicks. When I first moved here a women in a restaurant said to me "you poor dear you must be so happy to be out of such a horrible place like Buffalo". Another guy in a pizzaria said to me "anyone who lives in that S---T hole (Buffalo) must be a complete idiot, I don't know why anyone would want to send their kids to college there". The people here also are rude and uncaring. My wife said she was sorry to someone when she bumped into them coming out of the cleaners they responded "you should be!"

The traffic here is beyond a nightmare! It took me an hour to get home from work yesterday and I live only 9.7 miles away. My wife used to commute an hour and a half each way by train until she quit her job to have our son.

The taxes are even higher than in WNY and the everyday quality of life is horrendous. Is this too much of a price to have a secure job and good Italian food? Yes, I think it is. We're thinking of renting out the house here and giving it a try in WNY. We're not stupid enough to sell it because once you get out of the housing market here it's nearly impossible to get back in due to the rapidly raising prices. I love Buffalo and want to give it another try but at the same time I want to hedge my bets.

I miss WNY but I don't think Grand Island would be right for us. My wife grew up downstate and it probably would be a little too sleepy for her. Buffalo or Amherst would probably be our destination. However, I do miss those fish fry's at Del and Herb's and the wings at the Beach House!

Ragin Taxpayer, if you're looking for good NY style pizza try Buzzy's in Niagara Falls. As close to downstate pizza as you will get in WNY. If you're downstate and want Buffalo style pizza and wings try Massaro's in Mineola, it will instantly make you feel like you're back in Buffalo!

Originally posted by biker
    Oh yeah--as to dollars and cents, the MTA has offered wage increases of 10.5% over three years.

The union wants 24%.

So what have you gotten over the past three years?
    24% might be a little unreasonable but 10.5% is a little skimpy. Remember NYC is not a city in financial trouble like Buffalo. Things are pretty economically healthy downstate and inflation has been alot higher than upstate, especially with the cost of housing. I'm in the private sector and I got wage increases of about 20% in the last three years. I wouldn't have any problem giving them a 15% wage increase especially if it would have avoided this nightmare.

Unregistered

Off Topic .. so I'll be quick :)

Thank you for your post, Downstate Buffaloian. You really did capture the very essence of the NYC metropolitian area.

It made me miss home, until you mentioned your wife's experiance at the cleaners .. hehe.

Anyways, Thanks for the tips. I'll give Buzzy's a try.

Do a little lurkng here, and you can see that New Yorkers are seizing the opportunity to get into it restaurants that are normally booked.

OMG---I feel sorry for them. But in NYC this is the kind of thing that brings people together.
    Ragin, when I lived in Brooklyn I'd travel to Manhattan for the Ray's pizza at the little place next to the Waverly theater. The only pizza I ever loved.
    Sorry, res.

Speaker - you and the Pizza. Lord almighty, would you stop it already!!!!

Back on topic.

What part of Brooklyn did you live in?

Unregistered
    Massive crowd of commuters tries to get into Penn Station during the evening rush hour as the transit strike continues for a second day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails penn station 12-22-05.jpg  

Originally posted by therising
    Speaker - you and the Pizza. Lord almighty, would you stop it already!!!!

Back on topic.

What part of Brooklyn did you live in?
    HA, rising, off topic. Park Slope.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information