Thread: Military assault vehicles coming to a town near you NY

Military assault vehicles coming to a town near you NY

Police in New York state are the newest recipients of a crop of military vehicles sure to scare the living daylights out of anyone that crosses their path. 165 mine-resistant ambush-protected vehicles - or MRAPs - will be joining the men and women of five county sheriff's departments and three police agencies across the Empire State,

The vehicles, which have been sent home after serving in Iraq over the last decade, are worth about $500,000 each, have terrible gas mileage, and include gun turrets and bulletproof glass among other features some might consider overkill in a domestic setting. But hey, they're gratis. And you can't beat that.

It's that "intimidating" part that's got the American Civil Liberties Union concerned. The group is worried, as many are, about the ever-creeping militarization of domestic police forces.

"One of our concerns with this is it has a tendency to escalate violence," said an ACLU spokeswoman, who echoes a blog post made earlier this year by the organization stating that, "the militarization of law enforcement in encourages unnecessarily aggressive policing that too often results in tragedy."

But law enforcement officials AP spoke to say there's no cause for alarm. The hefty toys they've obtained from the Department of Defense don't represent the arrival of overseas-style operations here at home. And the MRAPs won't be used to their full, deadly potential.

"We have no plans of mounting a machine gun," said a Warren County, New York sheriff, who agreed with Sheriff Apple's belief that when it comes to the notion of super powered soldier cops running amok on American streets, "nothing could be further from the truth."The vehicles, which have been sent home after serving in Iraq over the last decade, are worth about $500,000 each, have terrible gas mileage, and include gun turrets and bulletproof glass among other features some might consider overkill in a domestic setting. But hey, they're gratis. And you can't beat that.

"It's armored, it's heavy, it's intimidating, and it's free," said Albany County Sheriff Craig Apple. It's that "intimidating" part that's got the American Civil Liberties Union concerned. The group is worried, as many are, about the ever-creeping militarization of domestic police forces.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

I wonder if Mexican border patrol might be a better use for these vehicles - where they might actually see the type of attacks that they're built for.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    That would make more sense wouldn't it. But then again our town owns a hovercraft. Hopefully we'll get some use out of it this winter. What would be the wind chill on that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    But hey, they're gratis. And you can't beat that.
    Sure you can, by not taking on that burden. If they have them, they will use them---or at least train in them. I don't know how many agencies in NY state can really afford to play in a vehicle that, at best, gets 5 mpg.

Seriously, I'm sure this is a tremendous rush for the mucho macho mentalities in our LEA's, but they really don't need those, and they're expensive to keep.

Or would you think being given "gratis" a giant lion would also be cool, even though you'd have to spend $50+ a day feeding the SOB?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You would have quite a bit of addition costs. Maintenance and training. But once again it isn't "government inc's" money. They are spending your money while making sure their salaries/bene's are covered.

Here is an MRAP parked next to an H1 hummer. Hummers are quite large themselves, a bit larger than the common H2.

(I'd post a pic directly but of course res's crappy forum software won't let me)

Here's a direct link...

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/ph...5/img_7263.jpg

These things weigh 30,000 lbs, and if you happen to be unlucky enough to have it hit your SUV, it will quite literally, run you over...

DHS has apportioned thousands off these for domestic use...

Next we will have bradly tanks roaming the streets...
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    (I'd post a pic directly but of course res's crappy forum software won't let me)

The crappy forum software seems to work just fine.... Did you say 'please'?

For the children.
    Democrats Against UN Agenda 21 - Democrats Against UN Agenda 21

Military assault vehicles coming to a town near you NY

LOL, I wouldn't worry about it you or should I say the American people have no power to do anything about what is coming by 2016. first off scrapping all those military vehicles would cost more than re-servicing them into the American police forces which isn't a bad idea however, this is just another phase of the Obama take over of America this is his hidden private civilian army and its right in everyone's back yard. Therefore, when 2016 rolls around and they announce that 2016 presidential elections have been stop you will understand you have been living in a live takeover of our country and government without killing off a president because he's the one who is pulling off the biggest joke to the America people. On 2016 Obama will go on national TV and tell this country he is the president for life, enjoy your newest country you will not like. Yep, I wouldn't worry about old, military war vehicles but I would worry about where your next meal will come from.
    Last edited by Riven37; November 27th, 2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: stencen is out of alginment.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information