Thread: How long will we be in Afghanistan ?

How long will we be in Afghanistan ?

Senator Kerry told Andrea Mitchell that the U.S. had no plans for American troops to be in Afghanistan in the longer term.
    “We are not targeting year and years, that is not what is contemplated,” he said.

The article then states, "The agreement is highly significant because it outlines a broad, long term relationship with Afghanistan that commits the United States to sustaining the Afghan security forces for years to come, and likely deploying thousands of American troops in the country to carry out that training and the limited counter-terrorism role."

"The new proposal, still to be approved by both the U.S. and Afghan administrations, calls for a sweeping, long-term relationship with the United States, committing Washington to paying to train and equip Afghan security forces, and establishes the groundwork keeping armed American outposts in Afghanistan.

Although it allows for troop presence until 2024, the draft document says, “unless otherwise mutually agreed, United States forces shall not conduct combat operations in Afghanistan.”

================================================== ================================================== =====

President Obama has assured the Afghanis' that, "We will respect your freedoms and rights in the same way we respect America's"

So does this mean America will now eaves drop on telephone and internet communications in Afghanistan ? Will the NSA now set up shop there - will we remove their rights to own firearms - will we spy on their government and work to over throw those leaders we don't like ?

Smells like a few other places we "support" - like Syria , Pakistan Italy, Germany, Japan or other nations where the U.S. has a military presence. among others.
    Last edited by 4248; November 21st, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Here's a excerpt from another recent article:

Quote: "President Obama’s letter was not an apology, but it was empathetic in tone, stressing the need for cooperation and a respect of Afghan sovereignty.

“Over time, and especially in the recent past, we have redoubled our efforts to ensure that Afghan homes are respected by our forces and that our operations are conducted consistent with your law. We will continue to make every effort to respect the sanctity and dignity of Afghans in their homes and in their daily lives, just as we do for our own citizens.”

In his speech, Karzai both praised the United States for its contributions to Afghanistan and expressed frustration, saying he considered asking U.S. forces to leave.

“In the past 12 years, we have had, both good and bad times with the U.S., sometimes our relations are good and sometimes the relations are terrible,” he said. “At some points, I thought about telling the U.S. to just leave Afghanistan and we will deal with our own situation. But I was always very patient and thinking about our country.”

Karzai also said he was disappointed at some of the equipment the U.S. has provided Afghan security forces.

“I'm always asking for good equipment and armed force from the U.S. For example, I asked for jet aircrafts but they sent me military transport aircraft. I ask for tanks but they send us pickup trucks, which we can easily purchase from Japan ourselves,” he said.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Just how much "equiptment" have American tax payers already paid for ?

Jet fighters,tanks, guns and ammunition and God knows what else ?

If they say our stuff isnt good enough - the say " we can easily purchase from Japan ourselves,” - then why are we stopping them and promising more ?

yesterday was too long. How the hell we let Bush get us involved in that mess, and why the hell Obie has not gotten us out is beyond comprehension. All I can think of is that there must be some overwhelming intelligence that puts the US at some dire risk if we leave.

You so funny - yet predictable !

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    How the hell we let Bush get us involved in that mess
    I'm not a Bush defender by any means but these scumbags crashed 4 jet airliners and killed thousands of innocent people. Don't forget what happened that day.... EVER. Don't let your political posturing override the fact that Bin Laden had to be brought to justice for the largest attack on our countries mainland. Something had to be done or else the US would of been nothing but a pin cushion.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Quote Originally Posted by NY The Vampire State View Post
    I'm not a Bush defender by any means but these scumbags crashed 4 jet airliners and killed thousands of innocent people. Don't forget what happened that day.... EVER. Don't let your political posturing override the fact that Bin Laden had to be brought to justice for the largest attack on our countries mainland. Something had to be done or else the US would of been nothing but a pin cushion.
    I agree. But bush stopped looking for Bin Laden shortly after invading Afghanistan.

Just how much "equiptment" have American tax payers already paid for ?

Jet fighters,tanks, guns and ammunition and God knows what else ?

If they say our stuff isnt good enough - the say " we can easily purchase from Japan ourselves,” - then why are we stopping them and promising more ?

Thread Information