Thread: Common core

Common core

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Gorga, I have no idea what your intent was in posting this. However, as someone who is an advocate for the public to have an open and transparent forum to provde access to express their ideas and opinions, I find the posting of this common core meeting more meaningful and credible than the one that will be held this coming week at the Village of Lancaster Municipal Building.

The Akron meeting will be attended by state legislators, the go-to people on the common core issues as perceived by the parents of the school children, not the school districts.

The Lancaster Central School District has been cited by a group of vocal parents at school board work sessions and regular meetings as being insensitive to their demands.

Attending all but the recent work session, I am of the opinion the district was as understanding and as supportive in making the parents concerns heard as is in their realm of authority to do so. Common core is a state mandated program and as such it is the state Legislators and Albany that should be the recipients of the public’s opposition and wrath.

It is disturbing to individuals like myself to see Lancaster targeted as not being caring and/or responsive. Not all of us agree what was written in today’s Buffalo News:
    “Parents need to be aware and educated on the ruinous effects that a nationalized curriculum and excessive testing will have on our children for generations to come,” said Heidi Indelicato, a Lancaster parent and meeting organizer.

There are a lot of myths and misinformation on the Common Core Learning Standards. I would suggest people planning on attending these meetings read over some the vast amount of information provided on the Internet regarding a program whose primary intent is to better prepare students for college and or other avenues of pursuit that make them competitive in today’s global economy. One size never fits all, but what greater good served is primary.
    Last edited by Lee Chowaniec; November 18th, 2013 at 02:30 AM.

Yes, I believe the meeting in the Village of Lancaster this week is just a "Bash Common Core" meeting.

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information