Thread: Transparency and honesty cuts both ways

Transparency and honesty cuts both ways

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...-plan-20131209

In the Buffalo News report on Monday evening’s Lancaster Central school board meeting the following was written:

Middle School parent Mary Dettelis, who circulated a widely read email last month about the “Lancaster Island” middle school social studies virtual world computer program, scolded the School Board for not responding to her emails. She also singled out Vallely for not returning her phone call. She also held up a picture of the naked female avatar for board and public inspection.

“This avatar has breasts, nipples and female genatalia,” Dettelis said. “I can’t see how this is appropriate for 12- and 13-year-olds. Parents have a right to know the truth and what children are exposed to in software.”

The district defended its handling of the matter, as it did a month ago, noting that the program was suspended until problems are worked out. Vallely said he would meet with Dettelis when he had all the answers she was seeking.

While accurate the report is incomplete. What was not written is what actually transpired and factual; the other side of the story. Ms. Detellis’ daughter was not privy to the naked avatar. Detellis heard about an event that took place in the middle school where two students approached their teacher to tell him that they saw a picture of a nude avatar with breasts. When the students went back to the computer to recreate the image, they could not do so.

Ms. Detellis approached school officials on the matter and they overrode the virtual reality system to show how it was possible to get to a point where the avatar displayed the public genatalia; which was not present in the avatar witnessed by the students and could not have been possible. Ms. Detellis snapped a photo of the avatar on her phone camera and is declaring that is the photo that the students saw – which they did not.

Lancaster Central School District Superintendent Dr. Michael Valley spoke with Detellis on the matter and promised to get back to her within 24 hours. Detellis waited for less than an hour before putting her correspondence on the Internet for all to see and encouraged them to pass it on – despite the fact that the virtual reality ‘Lancaster Island’ program had been pulled immediately and where she was promised an answer from the district in 24 hours.

Residents who attend town board meetings and parents who attend school board meetings expect transparency, openness and honesty from the board members. In return, town and school board members are due the same consideration from those addressing them with their issues and concerns.

This same program has been in use for six years with no previous like incident. Students were advised not to manipulate the system beyond a certain point. This is much ado about nothing and unjustly paints the district as being academically irresponsible.

The same spin was presented to the school board by a parent who voiced concerns about her child who opted out of the common core tests and was being made to sit for over 90 minutes while other students were taking the test. The parent requested alternative options should be made available as in other school districts. Superintendent Valley was considered unreasonable by some for requesting she bring in examples and data to authenticate her charge as currently ninety-five of ninety-seven Western New York school districts are following the same process as Lancaster.

It was good to hear that overall the meeting was less contentious than it has been in the past several months and that there is an appearance that common ground is being reached on common core.

It has been repeatedly said and written that Lancaster has a great school system and that is why people continue to move to Lancaster. Within ten years Lancaster has gone from a 73 in Business First ranking to 9th place. The district does not deserve the bashing it has been receiving from the same handful of parents it has been receiving of late regarding common core standard testing, curriculum modules and academic irresponsibility.

Through common core work sessions that answered parent concerns, regular school board meetings, parental meetings and a five point position resolution that states they promise to communicate parent concerns on common core issues to those in authority, it is still not enough for some parents.

However, maybe the tide is changing as attendees at the meeting clapped when Board of Education president Marie MacKay declared that the board was listening to their concerns, was communicating their concerns to higher ups, and promised she would ensure that the parents are more informed as to status of the program.

Sounds like a Yenta that has nothing better to do with her time. Give it up lady.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Lee,

Mary Dettelis here. I tried to create my own account, but was not able to post so I asked John to post for me.

You have some of the facts wrong. You state my side of the story below as factual, but I do not recall you asking me my side or any other parents who were involved. So you are making assumptions not based on fact and are getting my side from someone else. I was not able to give all this information at the meeting since I only have five minutes to speak, but there are many more facts not being told. You can believe what you like, but I ask you to consider one question. Who has more to gain by not being truthful? Certainly not the parents and students. And even though my daughter may not have seen the naked avatar, the fact that it is possible to be seen is enough reason to investigate and inform parents. I highlighted and commented on areas where you are not correct in your statements.

While accurate the report is incomplete. What was not written is what actually transpired and factual; the other side of the story. Ms. Detellis’ daughter was not privy to the naked avatar. She saw one appear in a bra and underwear which prompted my involvement in this issue. Detellis heard about an event that took place in the middle school where two students approached their teacher to tell him that they saw a picture of a nude avatar with breasts. When the students went back to the computer to recreate the image, they could not do so. Students were able to recreate the avatar for the administrators at a later date. Also the students told the teacher as soon as it came up and he said to just move on. It was not addressed immediately.

Ms. Detellis approached school officials on the matter and they overrode the virtual reality system to show how it was possible to get to a point where the avatar displayed the public genatalia; which was not present in the avatar witnessed by the students and could not have been possible. Ms. Detellis snapped a photo of the avatar on her phone camera and is declaring that is the photo that the students saw – which they did not. I specifically asked to see the inappropriate avatar students saw. The dept chairperson and the vice principal showed me the avatar I took the picture of and told me that it was the avatar that students saw. They did not OVERRIDE anything. It was right there in the program. There is also another parent that went in and saw it before I did because her son saw it in class. They told her the same thing, namely that the students did see one that looked the picture I took. The teacher showed me how to make the clothed avatar naked by clicking a couple folders (it is Windows based program). He also showed me how they were going to correct it on that same avatar. It does NOT look like the one in the paper and it does not look like a Barbie doll. Why would he show me the avatar students did not see? And show me how they were going to correct it on an avatar that students do not have access to? Not only that, but there are multiple students who said they saw one that looked like the photo I have. Why would the students and parents lie? They have nothing to gain by lying. One more thing, I asked the teacher to keep the avatar on the screen and said I would like to take a picture. He did not object and allowed me to take two photos.

Lancaster Central School District Superintendent Dr. Michael Valley spoke with Detellis on the matter and promised to get back to her within 24 hours. Detellis waited for less than an hour before putting her correspondence on the Internet for all to see and encouraged them to pass it on – despite the fact that the virtual reality ‘Lancaster Island’ program had been pulled immediately and where she was promised an answer from the district in 24 hours. The district did not suspend it immediately. The program ran for a couple weeks after the students told the teacher mentioned above. It was at the insistence of another parent that the program was suspended. The after school program was still running until that same parent told administrators that it should also be suspended. I informed parents I knew when the district did not for weeks after it was brought to the school’s attention. The 24 hour period you are referring to does not refer to the suspension of the program, but rather the phone call I made weeks after this was first discovered by another parent.

Residents who attend town board meetings and parents who attend school board meetings expect transparency, openness and honesty from the board members. In return, town and school board members are due the same consideration from those addressing them with their issues and concerns.

This same program has been in use for six years with no previous like incident. Students were advised not to manipulate the system beyond a certain point. This is much ado about nothing and unjustly paints the district as being academically irresponsible. I know of a 9th grader who said that he saw the naked avatar like the one I have and never said anything. He said it made him uncomfortable to tell anyone because of the nature of the avatar. So we really do not know how many other children saw it if they may be afraid to speak up. These are children and school teachers are figures of authority to them. This child did not even tell his parents until they asked him recently after hearing about it.

Again, as I have said many times, I am not looking for anything but the truth. And for parents to be informed of that truth, the whole truth, so that they can make decisions and have conversations with their children as they see fit.
    Last edited by Who is John Galt?; December 11th, 2013 at 11:12 PM.

And one more thing, I did not post any information about this on the internet, as you state in your comments. I emailed parents I knew only. I also gave those parents permission to tell other parents if they chose. As a parent, I would like to know and I know many parents were happy to have been told. This is what communities should do, namely share information. Somehow it got around to the News. When asked by the News, I refused an interview.

Mary Dettelis

Quote Originally Posted by Who is John Galt? View Post
    Lee,

Mary Dettelis here. I tried to create my own account, but was not able to post so I asked John to post for me.

You have some of the facts wrong. You state my side of the story below as factual, but I do not recall you asking me my side or any other parents who were involved. So you are making assumptions not based on fact and are getting my side from someone else. I was not able to give all this information at the meeting since I only have five minutes to speak, but there are many more facts not being told. You can believe what you like, but I ask you to consider one question. Who has more to gain by not being truthful? Certainly not the parents and students. And even though my daughter may not have seen the naked avatar, the fact that it is possible to be seen is enough reason to investigate and inform parents. I highlighted and commented on areas where you are not correct in your statements.

While accurate the report is incomplete. What was not written is what actually transpired and factual; the other side of the story. Ms. Detellis’ daughter was not privy to the naked avatar. She saw one appear in a bra and underwear which prompted my involvement in this issue. Detellis heard about an event that took place in the middle school where two students approached their teacher to tell him that they saw a picture of a nude avatar with breasts. When the students went back to the computer to recreate the image, they could not do so. Students were able to recreate the avatar for the administrators at a later date. Also the students told the teacher as soon as it came up and he said to just move on. It was not addressed immediately.

Ms. Detellis approached school officials on the matter and they overrode the virtual reality system to show how it was possible to get to a point where the avatar displayed the public genatalia; which was not present in the avatar witnessed by the students and could not have been possible. Ms. Detellis snapped a photo of the avatar on her phone camera and is declaring that is the photo that the students saw – which they did not. I specifically asked to see the inappropriate avatar students saw. The dept chairperson and the vice principal showed me the avatar I took the picture of and told me that it was the avatar that students saw. They did not OVERRIDE anything. It was right there in the program. There is also another parent that went in and saw it before I did because her son saw it in class. They told her the same thing, namely that the students did see one that looked the picture I took. The teacher showed me how to make the clothed avatar naked by clicking a couple folders (it is Windows based program). He also showed me how they were going to correct it on that same avatar. It does NOT look like the one in the paper and it does not look like a Barbie doll. Why would he show me the avatar students did not see? And show me how they were going to correct it on an avatar that students do not have access to? Not only that, but there are multiple students who said they saw one that looked like the photo I have. Why would the students and parents lie? They have nothing to gain by lying. One more thing, I asked the teacher to keep the avatar on the screen and said I would like to take a picture. He did not object and allowed me to take two photos.

Lancaster Central School District Superintendent Dr. Michael Valley spoke with Detellis on the matter and promised to get back to her within 24 hours. Detellis waited for less than an hour before putting her correspondence on the Internet for all to see and encouraged them to pass it on – despite the fact that the virtual reality ‘Lancaster Island’ program had been pulled immediately and where she was promised an answer from the district in 24 hours. The district did not suspend it immediately. The program ran for a couple weeks after the students told the teacher mentioned above. It was at the insistence of another parent that the program was suspended. The after school program was still running until that same parent told administrators that it should also be suspended. I informed parents I knew when the district did not for weeks after it was brought to the school’s attention. The 24 hour period you are referring to does not refer to the suspension of the program, but rather the phone call I made weeks after this was first discovered by another parent.

This same program has been in use for six years with no previous like incident. Students were advised not to manipulate the system beyond a certain point. This is much ado about nothing and unjustly paints the district as being academically irresponsible. I know of a 9th grader who said that he saw the naked avatar like the one I have and never said anything. He said it made him uncomfortable to tell anyone because of the nature of the avatar. So we really do not know how many other children saw it if they may be afraid to speak up. These are children and school teachers are figures of authority to them. This child did not even tell his parents until they asked him recently after hearing about it.

Again, as I have said many times, I am not looking for anything but the truth. And for parents to be informed of that truth, the whole truth, so that they can make decisions and have conversations with their children as they see fit.
    Mary:

Thank you for posting and sharing.

I am seriously appreciative of your post and presenting in detail the other side of the story. It is unlike what I have heard from several other individuals and the conclusions I arrived at. And, getting both sides of the story out is most important in attempting to reach the truth. It is very clear that there is an enormous disparity between claims made by you and others.

I will not further to make a determination based on what side is credible. I will state that if your sensibilities were truly offended and you honestly believe students at the fifth grade level could be scarred by a naked avatar, then your pursuit is noble.

However, I am of the opinion that in today’s world such viewing by a handful of students over a six year period of time is much ado about nothing. My children all attended Lancaster schools in the 60’s through the 80’s and even at that time I would have had a similar reaction as you had and would have been satisfied to hear the ‘Lancaster Island’ virtual reality program was pulled – and I attended 16 years in the Catholic school system and believe I still retain some morals.

The good thing about this website and forum is that it allows individuals to express opposing views, comments and opinions – without limit to word content in the professional media. It is then up to the reader to determine what is credible and allows one to present facts to dispute claims made by others where they believe the information and/or data is inaccurate.

Thanks again for presenting the other side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Who is John Galt? View Post
    And one more thing, I did not post any information about this on the internet, as you state in your comments. I emailed parents I knew only. I also gave those parents permission to tell other parents if they chose. As a parent, I would like to know and I know many parents were happy to have been told. This is what communities should do, namely share information. Somehow it got around to the News. When asked by the News, I refused an interview.

Mary Dettelis
    Mary:

Emails are processed through the Internet and that is why the word Internet was used. You suggested your email correspondence be distributed to parents and others. That is how I received a copy.

Perhaps I don’t see your issue having the importance you do is because I am weary of a school district that I hold in high regard being slammed by a handful of parents as being irresponsible and uncooperative – especially regarding common core. It was satisfying to read the following in today’s Lancaster Bee:

“In another matter, LCSD Superintendent Michael Vallely notified the board and community that the district’s Comprehensive District Education Plan, which is a five-year plan detailing curriculum instruction, professional development and student motivation, amongst other factors, is in the deliberation stages as of Nov. 13 and will most likely be presented to the board in the beginning months of 2014.

He noted that the new plan, which will eventually replace the one in existence, is focused on the students and their education. He said it will not be driven solely by state education reforms.

“We are going to continue the professional development that we started years ago. We’re going to continue the use of data and data-driven instruction pieces, and we’re going to continue those things that made this school district successful,” said Vallely. “For us here in Lancaster, it’s about challenging students to a higher level of understanding … and we’ve been doing that way before the Common Core.”

In the Letter-to-the-Editor section

While this is a difficult time for many with the changes in state standardized testing, please take a moment to reflect on all the positives and blessings we have in our district. We are rated No. 1 in administrative effectiveness. We have top-notch seniors being sought after by numerous colleges for scholarships. We had zero dropouts last year. We are rated in the top 10 schools of Western New York. We offer four different academies in high school, numerous clubs and music, as well as art programs. We have a top-notch special education department and teachers who are the best around.

Julie Kaska

I agree that our district is a good district compared to others in the area. My children have gone through different schools in Lancaster and I have always felt as if the teachers and principals were concerned with their well-being. I may not have always agreed with everything the district has done, but I have not felt that they were intentionally making decisions that would stunt the students' growth.

The only issue I have with Lancaster Island was how it was handled in that parents were not told the true potential. I felt as if it was being minimized in the hopes that parents would not say anything and the school could fix it and just move on. But we teach our kids that it is better to own up than cover up and that is no different for a school. If this avatar was in a video game, 12-13 year old children, by law, cannot view it without parental permission so it should have the same standards for curriculum.

I do not support Common Core, and I do understand that the district may be bound by state regulations. However, I also believe that parents should not put on blinders when it comes to the well-being of their children. Maybe the issue needs to be taken up with the state more (which is where I believe it is), but I do agree with what one parent said regarding testing in that it can be hard for a child who opts out to sit there while others test. If other districts can provide alternatives, then Lancaster should be able to as well without violating state regulations. I do not know for sure, but I have been told that other districts do this. I will not have my child take the test. And parents should continue to fight for their kids, in whatever arena they see as right for them, and not idly accept what goes against their beliefs. The family is first.

Quote Originally Posted by MDettelis View Post
    I agree that our district is a good district compared to others in the area. My children have gone through different schools in Lancaster and I have always felt as if the teachers and principals were concerned with their well-being. I may not have always agreed with everything the district has done, but I have not felt that they were intentionally making decisions that would stunt the students' growth.

The only issue I have with Lancaster Island was how it was handled in that parents were not told the true potential. I felt as if it was being minimized in the hopes that parents would not say anything and the school could fix it and just move on. But we teach our kids that it is better to own up than cover up and that is no different for a school. If this avatar was in a video game, 12-13 year old children, by law, cannot view it without parental permission so it should have the same standards for curriculum.

I do not support Common Core, and I do understand that the district may be bound by state regulations. However, I also believe that parents should not put on blinders when it comes to the well-being of their children. Maybe the issue needs to be taken up with the state more (which is where I believe it is), but I do agree with what one parent said regarding testing in that it can be hard for a child who opts out to sit there while others test. If other districts can provide alternatives, then Lancaster should be able to as well without violating state regulations. I do not know for sure, but I have been told that other districts do this. I will not have my child take the test. And parents should continue to fight for their kids, in whatever arena they see as right for them, and not idly accept what goes against their beliefs. The family is first.
    Your points are well stated and taken seriously. While we may agree to disagree civilly (and that is quite obvious here) the one common thread in all of this discourse/discord, in my opinion, is that it all centers on what’s best for all children of our community.

While you take issue with common core I support the curriculum and benchmarking assessment. By attending BOE meetings I have seen an educational program put forth by administrators and teachers five years ago that challenged students to become more proficient and came to fruition by the progress Lancaster has made in Business First rankings, in proficiency assessment testing, the high percentage rate of students getting Regents diplomas, the significant increase in APP courses, and the high percentage of Lancaster high school students graduating.

Family most certainly comes first. You have every right to express your beliefs and opinions. Transparency, openness, credibility and best interests of the entire community should always be the mainstay of any subject matter.

Yes, I agree with the last comment. But who decides what is in the best interest of the children? It should be the family, not the community and not by a mob rules mentality.

And facts should not be omitted from official statements as that can lead to assumptions, especially if people do not have an opportunity to hear all sides involved.

Thread Information