Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City Charter - Article 3 - Common Council - what are they waiting for?

City Charter - Article 3 - Common Council

3-11. Rules of Procedure.
    The council shall determine the rules of its own proceedings; shall keep a journal ofits proceedings; shall have authority to compel the attendance of absent members and to punish its members for disorderly behavior and suspend any member with the concurrence of two-thirds of the council
    members present.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So how long does the community give Brian Davis to explain what is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So how long does the community give Brian Davis to explain what is going on?
    as long as Lenihan wants too..........
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post
    as long as Lenihan wants too..........
    Might not be as long as you think. You know what is going to happen? People are going to really remember this type of crap and when an endorsement is made people will just laugh at it.

Why?

What is it? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me?... something like that.

Why do you think I continually bring his name up along with the political business called the "Erie County Democratic party". It's just a business no different than the rep or a host of others. You say it enough times in front of 10000's of people reading this site over the year and the name starts to stick. Slowly the name/group gets known for a really ****ty product endorsements. Why? Because we have examples all throughout elected seats in WNY/NYS.

Mr. Lenny Lenihan,

If Brian Davis wants to run under the Democratic marketing group will you give him the endorsement because he's a democrat even though he has shown bad judgment on check writing? Namely passing bad checks it seems?

I would like to know your opinion on Brian Davis. Your group endorsed him before you were chairman. Is this the type of character traits you endorse?

Just one note

Hmmm, interesting that something I posted as informational is now noted as a thread started by me. So, all's fair, eh?

That's what is wrong with the whole "machine." Look, folks, no matter what you do, what you say, someone will tailor it to their needs. And that's exactly what is wrong in the Buffalo politics scene.

Positioning, change-ups, misquotes, all a facade and smoke and mirrors. Something's got to give, one way or another.

There have to be better choices and a chance for the community to win rather than the status quo or the party line.

Voters should not march in lock-step with any endorsements, rather they should really do the research and make sure every vote they cast is one for making things better, not keeping the same ol', same ol'.

The whole electoral system insults the intelligence of the voting public and the voting public allows this to happen.
    Last edited by MERL J; April 19th, 2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: additional comment

Quote Originally Posted by MERL J View Post
    The council shall determine the rules of its own proceedings; shall keep a journal ofits proceedings; shall have authority to compel the attendance of absent members and to punish its members for disorderly behavior and suspend any member with the concurrence of two-thirds of the council
    members present.
    merl , did not mean to "derail" your post on 3-11 , but the problem is that this council (& most others) have members with their own skeletons in the closet , thus they very seldom will "call out" another member , sort of like getting fellow doctors to give court testamony against another doctor , that's how these politicos work , you know this , the res thinks the voters will remember , I think that Lenihan IS holding on for dear life , but NYC still "owns" WNY , & will have Lenihan's replacement (IF he even loses) in their back pockets because they control the votes & money.......The road to change is long & filled with many potholes........If this council had balls , things around HERE may immediately be different , but do they ? Plus you still have to contend with NYC .
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15

Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post
    merl , did not mean to "derail" your post on 3-11 , but the problem is that this council (& most others) have members with their own skeletons in the closet , thus they very seldom will "call out" another member , sort of like getting fellow doctors to give court testamony against another doctor , that's how these politicos work , you know this , the res thinks the voters will remember , I think that Lenihan IS holding on for dear life , but NYC still "owns" WNY , & will have Lenihan's replacement (IF he even loses) in their back pockets because they control the votes & money.......The road to change is long & filled with many potholes........If this council had balls , things around HERE may immediately be different , but do they ? Plus you still have to contend with NYC .
    Ah, no derailing mea culpa necessary, d. I've never seen such posturing and positioning as I have in the last few weeks - and that's OUTSIDE of government. I guess I believed and trusted too much - that the system worked for the people. I can't make any statements on the Common Council since I have been able to work with them re: Lodging Houses, etc. and found all of them to take these issues to heart since they transcend into all districts of our city. Just wanted to post what everyone seemed to be looking for and then the title of the post changed.

Quote Originally Posted by MERL J View Post
    members present.
    Maybe it's because they don't have 2/3rds vote? out of eight members you'd need 6 votes. Which of the three (Golombek, Smith, Russell) do you think will vote him out?

Before you respond (or maybe not), Golombek has already stated in the paper he doesn't favor a absences being politicized. So of the two African Americans, which will go against Davis (and the mayor)?

They do not have to start with suspension, they could start with compelling his attendance and if he fails without good cause then they would have a stronger argument for suspension. Who is going to argue against compelling him to attend the meetings he was elected to attend?
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    They do not have to start with suspension, they could start with compelling his attendance and if he fails without good cause then they would have a stronger argument for suspension. Who is going to argue against compelling him to attend the meetings he was elected to attend?
    Logic does pervade the common council, you should know better. Rather it would be considered a "racist" action by the 3 African American members, if the majority held members sought to hold themselves accountable.

Consider, as well!

Quote Originally Posted by CSense View Post
    Logic does pervade the common council, you should know better. Rather it would be considered a "racist" action by the 3 African American members, if the majority held members sought to hold themselves accountable.

Franczyk, surely doesn't want to be considered a racist who did the "good" but "black" councilman in, as do the representatives of Lovejoy or Niagara Districts- all who have a fair African American poulation within their disrticts. So, they are going to be very cautious with the davis matter.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So anyone know what is going on? Are the rest of the elected officials and brown just turning a blind eye to this?

So anyone know what is going on? Are the rest of the elected officials and brown just turning a blind eye to this?
    yep , they're following Gov. Paterson's lead............

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    OK that was cute

Still though..... Tree_hugger? Did you dig up any reasons that were valid for passing a bad check?

All is quiet on the Western front....I haven't heard of anyone doing or saying anything until charges are filed, which btw, does not seem likely. I guess it's not against the law to be a deadbeat or ethically challenged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information