Thread: Erie County Social Services Embezzlement

Erie County Social Services Embezzlement

As a soon-to-be-laid-off Erie County employee I read with great interest this year's and recent past year's Erie County Budgets.

I took strong notice of the fact that the HIGHEST PERCENTAGE OF COUNTY MONEY GOES TO SOCIAL SERVICES.

Now I read that an employee of the Erie County Department of Social Services admitted to embezzling $50,000 from the department.

How does everyone feel about this?
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Gold Member
    How does everyone feel about this?
    #1 - I feel EXTREMELY ticked off. I want to see the book thrown at the embezzling loser and his brother. And I'm sorry, but blaming his "alcohol and crack cocaine habit" doesn't mean his actions are excusable nor forgivable. (The original article in the Buffalo Snooze made it sound like it was ok, because he had a problem...) He and his brother should be made examples of, theft from the public should be dealt with in the strictest way possible. Maybe send the loser to alcohol and drug treatment, but then lock both of them up. And then fire the entire management team that was so lax in their oversight that this was allowed to happen for years. Management is just as responsible as the perpetrators, in my opinion.

Let me repeat that for effect - MANAGEMENT IS JUST AS RESPONSIBLE AS THE PERPETRATORS IN MY OPINION..

And on this topic, how is it that an employee of the county can have an alcohol and crack problem and still be a county employee? Alcohol is one thing, because it's legal, but how exactly can one be gainfully employed as a public servant and be a crack-head? Let alone a senior auditor?? Does the county not drug test their employees as is common in the private sector? Shouldn't they be tested? Or is that another of the perks the unions skillfully negotiated? Perhaps that's a topic for a separate thread...

#2 - As for the fact that the highest percentage of county money goes to social services, I think this is the root of the problem in this area. Until we stop the influx of those with their hands out, and help those who want to be helped find gainful employment, this area has absolutely no chance of turning around, in my opinion. How to implement this, I do not know, but I do know that we need to get the message out the NY is not the "land of the handout", as it is now.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    He and his brother should be made examples of, theft from the public should be dealt with in the strictest way possible.
    It happens a lot. Look at the little items we heard about from all the local governments. Anything from "questionable" overtime to "george holts" money transfers through a texas based company that didn't exist to $500,000 extra for furniture... OR what ever the details are.

it's theft plain and simple. You lead by example and when the top do questionable things everyone underneath them takes note of that.

MANAGEMENT IS JUST AS RESPONSIBLE AS THE PERPETRATORS IN MY OPINION..
    They have growned so used to see it throughout the system perhaps its just second nature to most in the system.

I just realized that I posted this thread under the County Sheriff subject line... I was actually trying to start a new thread, but oh well, I'm new so I messed up.

Anyhow, discussion intact

Originally posted by GeorgeB

As for the fact that the highest percentage of county money goes to social services, I think this is the root of the problem in this area. Until we stop the influx of those with their hands out, and help those who want to be helped find gainful employment, this area has absolutely no chance of turning around, in my opinion. How to implement this, I do not know, but I do know that we need to get the message out the NY is not the "land of the handout", as it is now.
    This is a problem in New York Stata, even if it is "politically incorrect" so say so... When I have been seeing HUGE signs hanging prominently in stores that read "EBT CARDS NOW ACCEPTED!" it makes me feel a little uneasy. I know, I know, I grew up working poor and my family never got to the point where we had to go on social services... One year we were so poor we ate the remnants of a Hickory Farms beef log for dinner but we never got to the public assistance point... Part of "the system" is that it discourages people from working because they often end up making less than what they make on their assistance. I'm not an expert but I have also heard that there are penalties for mothers on welfare who get married... Still, in the line of work that I am in (at least for now) I see many people who are "economically disadvantaged" but who WANT TO WORK. They come in and ask about job searching information and job training programs. There ARE people out there with work ethics... Just need the jobs.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Thread Information