Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Villa Maria sees benefits of Say Yes

Villa Maria sees benefits of Say Yes

The Say Yes Buffalo program sent about 40 incoming freshmen to Villa Maria College this fall, a small sample of the symbiotic relationship that stakeholders hope will boost students, the Buffalo school district and higher educational entities.

Villa Maria’s enrollment is up this year after several years of declines, to 465 this year from 411 last fall. That’s led to renewed energy on campus and emboldened administrative direction, with new programs in the works and projections for enrollment growth in the coming years.

“We’re looking more collegiate than ever before and we’ve inspired a lot of renewed energy for people,” said Brian Emerson, vice president for enrollment management and student services.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/b...f-say-yes.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Furthering the education of children, especially of those who might otherwise not get educated, is never a bad thing. How to get there is the problem.

Maybe the program will be beneficial to the school and community as well.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    The Say Yes Buffalo program sent about 40 incoming freshmen to Villa Maria College this fall, a small sample of the symbiotic relationship that stakeholders hope will boost students, the Buffalo school district and higher educational entities.

Villa Maria’s enrollment is up this year after several years of declines, to 465 this year from 411 last fall. That’s led to renewed energy on campus and emboldened administrative direction, with new programs in the works and projections for enrollment growth in the coming years.

“We’re looking more collegiate than ever before and we’ve inspired a lot of renewed energy for people,” said Brian Emerson, vice president for enrollment management and student services.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/b...f-say-yes.html
    Villa is a great beginning, I loved the College. It is in a nice setting with smaller class size and dedicated educators. They have a great Early Childhood program.

I'm glad enrollment has increased, these small institutions are the catalyst now --

After a few years in Syracuse, the SayYes partnership is flagging. Test scores are not up and graduation rates are steady or declining. So much for improving test scores. According to you nogods, this would be considered "failure".

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    After a few years in Syracuse, the SayYes partnership is flagging. Test scores are not up and graduation rates are steady or declining. So much for improving test scores. According to you nogods, this would be considered "failure".
    The inability of Buffalo School District teachers to teach the children they have is failure - big time. Nothing else that happens changes that. They should all be fired and the district should hire teachers who at least think they can teach the kids they have instead of blaming the incompetence of the teachers on the kids and their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The inability of Buffalo School District teachers to teach the children they have is failure - big time. Nothing else that happens changes that. They should all be fired and the district should hire teachers who at least think they can teach the kids they have instead of blaming the incompetence of the teachers on the kids and their parents.
    Way to duck the point. Syracuse, who is also partnered with SayYes, hasn't seen an increase in test scores either. I guess they should also fire all the teachers in Syracuse. According to you nogods, the only teachers who should be retained are those in schools that have 100% graduation rates which is to say 100% passing rates on the five exams required for graduation. Keep up the good work, you still haven't defined "failure".

On many levels nogods I agree with some of the things you stated. I am of the belief that failure (can) begins from the top. If you can't lead, you won't succeed. In the situation where the Buffalo school district is in shambles, that has begun at the top. A top heavy administration with a board that has been in place with pretty much the same people never moved forward. Their leadership had an impact on the educators because the top is so messed up that the teachers are never sure what to do. That said, the teachers had to be good enough to rise above that and still be great at what they do.

In the private sector if you don't do your job well, you get a pink slip. Teachers who are not exemplary should be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post

In the private sector if you don't do your job well, you get a pink slip. Teachers who are not exemplary should be gone.
    So based on this logic, if you assemble poorly designed and built parts and thus assemble a poorly performing unreliable car you should be terminated.

How do you determine "great at what they do?" A question nogods has "failed" to address.

So based on this logic, if you assemble poorly designed and built parts and thus assemble a poorly performing unreliable car you should be terminated.

How do you determine "great at what they do?" A question nogods has "failed" to address.
    Absolutely--which does happen. The issue is the unions are protecting the unproductive & ineffective workers. Initially, back in the day the union was a force that was critical--that said it has deteriorated and forgotten how it all began.

I'm glad teachers are being evaluated, it is necessary -IMO.

Link please, I looked on the web and the only thing I saw that was even close to saying graduation rates are declining is an article by the Post that basically says it isn't as high as SayYes calculated but even that article admits its gone up significantly.

from 2009 to 2012, the percentage of eligible graduates who went on to Say Yes-affiliated colleges rose from 47.3 percent to 50.2 percent. That's an increase of 2.9 percentage points, or 6.1 percent - far from the 33 percent Say Yes touted.

There was a significant spike in 2011, when 58.1 percent went on to college - for a 23 percent increase over 2009. But that surge faded in 2012.

After reviewing all the numbers, Steven Ross, an education professor and senior research scientist at Johns Hopkins University and a research consultant for Say Yes, agreed that The Post-Standard's 6.1 percent number is "the most precise" measure of the four-year increase in college-going.
    http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...ates_a_mo.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...n_rates_r.html

is the link regarding graduation rates.

Shortstuff, I worked as an engineer for a while and my evaluation was nowhere near this arbitrary and required far less paperwork. Teachers did have an evaluation system. That principals chose not to follow through to eliminate the few incompetent staff there were is not the problem of the teachers or their union.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...n_rates_r.html

is the link regarding graduation rates.

Shortstuff, I worked as an engineer for a while and my evaluation was nowhere near this arbitrary and required far less paperwork. Teachers did have an evaluation system. That principals chose not to follow through to eliminate the few incompetent staff there were is not the problem of the teachers or their union.
    That link compares NY state as a whole and individual syracuse schools. It doesn't say anything about the SayYes program.

Its also an older article (yours is June, mine is July) written by the same paper as my link which grudgingly admits a rise in graduation rates as well as students attending college. So either your conclusion is wrong or the paper cant be trusted.

Way to duck the point. Syracuse, who is also partnered with SayYes, hasn't seen an increase in test scores either. I guess they should also fire all the teachers in Syracuse. According to you nogods, the only teachers who should be retained are those in schools that have 100% graduation rates which is to say 100% passing rates on the five exams required for graduation. Keep up the good work, you still haven't defined "failure".
    A 24% graduation rate is a FAILURE. Your attempts to excuse that failure are lame and a failure themselves. Teachers who blame the kids for the incompetence of the teachers need to be fired.

A 24% graduation rate is a FAILURE. Your attempts to excuse that failure are lame and a failure themselves. Teachers who blame the kids for the incompetence of the teachers need to be fired.
    First of all, never made any attempts to excuse FAILURE and by putting this in caps you do nothing to establish your point. So a 24% graduation rate constitutes failure, we are getting closer. Then what graduation rate is the cutoff? 25%? 26%? So if someone inked a rubber stamp and graduated the 75% who did not attend or for various reasons decided not to continue with school, get a GED, graduate in 5 years, or whatever, then that would make that school a success? Too vague, please try again. By the way, I have never claimed that the kids I teach cannot be educated. I have never claimed that failure doesn't exist. I have never attempted to excuse a 24% graduation rate. I have simply asked for weeks now, and have not received an answer, regarding the definition of "failure" and "success". But keep trying to establish that definition. You may learn something yet.

First of all, never made any attempts to excuse FAILURE and by putting this in caps you do nothing to establish your point. So a 24% graduation rate constitutes failure, we are getting closer. Then what graduation rate is the cutoff? 25%? 26%?
    It is of no consequence - the fact is the Buffalo School District teachers have proven they can't teach the children they have - they even admit it every time they blame their failure on the kids.

Fantasizing about what might be success doesn't change that fact. Fire them, hire teachers who think they can to replace those who know they can't.

Your attempt to discuss facts that don't matter won't help you avoid the facts that do exist, the big one being the inability of the existing Buffalo School District teachers to teach the children they have - time they try another profession or look for jobs in school districts that have children they think they can teach.

That's the issue that needs to be addressed rather than some hypothetical you want to use to distract from the issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information