Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote bites man on N. Falls Blvd.

Coyote bites man on N. Falls Blvd.

Tona. News:

"The second coyote bite in North Tonawanda this year reportedly took place late Monday near the former Wurlitzer plant on Niagara Falls Boulevard. An earlier bite was reported March 31 on Sweeney Street. In that case a man was circled and “nipped” in the leg before the animal ran off. A week before that, a man driving on Erie Avenue in North Tonawanda stopped to pet a fox, which then bit him before disappearing.

City officials are planning to set up a public forum involving the state Department of Environmental Conservation to address the issue. Details are not yet available.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to hear the real story behind the alleged "nipping."
    I'm betting the guy provoked the animal, just like the idiot who stopped to pet the fox.

Once they call for a public hearing, you can bet that a crowd of misinformed, torch-bearing townsfolk will call for the wholesale extermination of anything resembling a Coyote or Fox. The golfers in Tonawanda did this when something resembling a Coyote was spotted on "their" 9th hole.

Leave the animals alone. Don't bother them and generally they won't bother you. If you're stupid enough to approach a wild animal, then you're deserving of the painful rabies shots.

And I object to the use of the word "nipping." It's sounds racially insensitive toward Japanese-Americans.

Last edited by ChaneysGotaGun; April 16th, 2009 at 10:40 AM.

Unregistered
    Maybe this will keep the punks off the streets and have an impact on vandalism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo News
    Updated: 04/15/09 05:01 PM

Coyote bites North Tonawanda man

By Aaron Besecker

NEWS NIAGARA REPORTER

NORTH TONAWANDA - A man walking along Niagara Falls Boulevard near the old Wurlitzer plant on Monday evening was bitten by a coyote, the Niagara County Department of Health said today.

The man was walking home from the store at about 10 p.m. when the coyote approached him, health officials said.

The man, who will have to undergo rabies shots, reported the incident Tuesday evening because he didn't initially believe he had been bitten. He told officials he believed he had been able to scare the animal away, said James J. Devald, environmental health director.

This week's bite follows two similar incidents last month.

A city resident was bitten the afternoon of March 29 by a fox on Erie Avenue, and a person was bitten by a coyote at about 2 a.m. March 31 on Sweeney Street.

Both of those victims also underwent rabies shots.

Health officials also previously reported finding a rabid fox on Ide Road in Wilson late last month.

Anyone who encounters a coyote should contact the county health department at 439-7444 or 439-7430.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaneysGotaGun View Post
    -------------------------------------------

I'm betting the guy provoked the animal, just like the idiot who stopped to pet the fox.

Once they call for a public hearing, you can bet that a crowd of misinformed, torch-bearing townsfolk...
    You sound like one of those misinformed townsfolk. It's coyote denning season (pups are here), and they're more aggressive this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    You sound like one of those misinformed townsfolk. It's coyote denning season (pups are here), and they're more aggressive this time of year.
    You sound like an insignificant miscreant. Read the entire post. It's springtime, and more idiots are out walking the Blvd. and posting here.

You sound like an insignificant miscreant. Read the entire post. It's springtime, and more idiots are out walking the Blvd. and posting here.
    The "entire post" has nothing to do with your lack of knowledge and the fact you sound like the misinformed townsfolk you wanted to rail against.

Admit it, you were unaware of coyote denning season and the fact they're very territorial and aggressive at this time of year. You can "bet" he provoked the animal all you want, but anyone that knows anything about wild animals, like coyotes, knows they generally don't sit around and wait for you to approach them, let alone provoke them. This animal was the aggressor.

But please, continue on, this will be fun.

Where did you go?

Unregistered
    It appears as though Cheney's "yella."

Unregistered
    so much aggression here lately.... is this the CHANGE that Obama promised us? Don't let the Libs get to you!

Tona. News:

"The second coyote bite in North Tonawanda this year reportedly took place late Monday near the former Wurlitzer plant on Niagara Falls Boulevard. An earlier bite was reported March 31 on Sweeney Street. In that case a man was circled and “nipped” in the leg before the animal ran off. A week before that, a man driving on Erie Avenue in North Tonawanda stopped to pet a fox, which then bit him before disappearing.

City officials are planning to set up a public forum involving the state Department of Environmental Conservation to address the issue. Details are not yet available.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Once they call for a public hearing, you can bet that a crowd of misinformed, torch-bearing townsfolk will call for the wholesale extermination of anything resembling a Coyote or Fox. The golfers in Tonawanda did this when something resembling a Coyote was spotted on "their" 9th hole.

Leave the animals alone. Don't bother them and generally they won't bother you. If you're stupid enough to approach a wild animal, then you're deserving of the painful rabies shots.

And I object to the use of the word "nipping." It's sounds racially insensitive toward Japanese-Americans.

The good news is that he's not going to turn into a werewolf under the next full moon because coyotes are pure of heart and soul.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

See now if he had a gun, he could have defended himself.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

The person who was "nipped" is an aquaintence of one of my family member's.
    Steve is an avid outdoorsman (semi professional fly fishing guide) ans is well aware not to approach wildlife. according to what he told the regulars at the fly shop, he decided to walk to the store for a pack of smokes. He heard what sounded like a dog coming rapidly towards him. When the animal started circling him, he really expected it to be someone's pooch that got away from the leash. Instead it was a coyote literally nipping at him like a small domestic dog might do. He didn't realize he was actually bit until later and then immediately called the authorities.
    There is also the very good possibility that some of these coyotes may be coy-dogs. They can and do readily breed with house dogs and or wild/strays. These "dogs" are sometimes more dangerous than a coyote as the traits they can inherit are very unpredictable.

fire off a few rounds in its direction..... hit it with a few bullets and you wont have to worry about it...

but then, our cool govt authorities would probably nail ya with something along these lines, for defending yourself:

Discharging a firearm
    Disturbing the peace
    Hunting with out a permit
    Endangering the welfare of a child (if there is a minority family around)

And, they will probably take away the gun that you paid for, paid taxes, and maintain, and tell you that your not fit to own a gun.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayingKoi View Post
    The person who was "nipped" is an aquaintence of one of my family member's.
    Steve is an avid outdoorsman (semi professional fly fishing guide) ans is well aware not to approach wildlife. according to what he told the regulars at the fly shop, he decided to walk to the store for a pack of smokes. He heard what sounded like a dog coming rapidly towards him. When the animal started circling him, he really expected it to be someone's pooch that got away from the leash. Instead it was a coyote literally nipping at him like a small domestic dog might do. He didn't realize he was actually bit until later and then immediately called the authorities.
    There is also the very good possibility that some of these coyotes may be coy-dogs. They can and do readily breed with house dogs and or wild/strays. These "dogs" are sometimes more dangerous than a coyote as the traits they can inherit are very unpredictable.
    I heard, from someone that lives in that neighborhood, that people have been feeding coyotes.

This could be the reason the coyote approached Steve. Because these idiots have been feeding the coyotes, they now associate people with food. Perhaps it decided to make a meal out of Steve.

I would say there is a VERY good chance that idiots feeding the coyotes led to this.

In the ADK's there is an increasing problem with black bears due to this same problem. It has gotten so bad that the DEC is actually "hazing" bears with pepper spray and rubber bullets to attempt to re-instill their fear of people.

There have been instances where bears will walk right up to people and sniff their backpacks; one guy even had his pack taken right off his back by a bear while hiking!

People generally are ignorant of the harm and danger they are causing by feeding wild animals, but it is becoming a bigger and bigger problem. The idiot who "stopped to pet a fox" is an example of this mentality.

When these animals are fed, they learn two things:

1) Humans aren't so scary; in fact, they give me food
    2) If the Human doesn't offer me food, I can BULLY them into giving me food!

The sad irony here is that these "animal lovers" are actually endangering the lives of the wild animals they feed. When animals lose their fear of people, the chances of a negative encounter increase. Almost always, this means death for the animal, not to mention potential injuries to people.

As an avid hiker/camper in the ADKs myself, I have been following the recent issues with black bears closely. I think its only a matter of time before one of these lunch or camp robberies turns deadly for the human as well as the bear.

Wildlife is wonderful to view and enjoy, but when people act like wild animals are their pets, bad things happen.
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

I forgot to add that it is almost ever the person actually doing the feeding that is injured, but an unsuspecting hiker/jogger/bike rider who the animal confronts expecting to be fed as it was before.
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information