Thread: Burnt Coffee caused by Buffalo NY Power Outage 10-5-13

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Burnt Coffee caused by Buffalo NY Power Outage 10-5-13

45,000 lost power.

Check it out.

Power restored to 45,000 National Grid customers

Power has been restored to roughly 45,000 National Grid customers who lost power in North Buffalo and some northern suburbs Saturday morning.

A company spokesman said the problem occurred in a substation in South Buffalo. The power went out about 6:30 a.m. and all customers were back on line by 10 a.m., a company spokesman said.

The power was restored in stages so not everyone was on at the same time.

National Grid is still investigating the root cause.

Power failures were also reported in Kenmore, Cheektowaga and Amherst.
    Read the story in the Buffalo News

All Power Restored After Large Outage This Morning

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- More than 45,000 National Grid customers now have their power restored after a large outage Saturday morning.

All electricity came back online before 10 a.m. Steve Brady, spokesperson with National Grid, said the exact cause of the outage is still unknown.

Most of the outages, about 36,000, were in the City of Buffalo.

Amherst, Cheektowaga, and other areas were also affected.
    http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/228...e-This-Morning

Major power outage due to lightning strike

BUFFALO, NY (WIVB) - Buffalo police say that a lightning strike to a major power grid has caused tens of thousands of power outages from Amherst down to the southtowns.

National Grid tells us that around 6:30 Saturday morning there was a problem at their substation location in the southern section of Buffalo.

The outage left a total of 45,011 Nationa
    http://www.wivb.com/news/local/power...t-parts-of-wny

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The most interesting report is this one

Here is the raw feed from our post power outage press conference. Note: my teeth aren't green, I was sitting too close to a lamp with a green shade
    Post Power Outage Press Conference Raw Feed

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    The most interesting report is this one

Post Power Outage Press Conference Raw Feed

Steve is my stepdad's nephew.

Where is there mention of burnt coffee in your posts. AM I blind?
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Apparently you did not watch the entire video. Go to 40 seconds onward.

Have you looked at a national weather map? Although the local weather reporters seem to be ignoring it, we are in the path of that cold front that caused an "October Storm" in the west and midwest. If it gets cold enough to snow here the trees are going to come down again because of the leaves.

No heavy snow is forecast for the next 7-10 days. But the US Weather is short staffed as they're considered non-essentional as their predictions are wrong 50%+ of the time...
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

didn't just go out, but kept going out and back on for a few seconds at a time over and over again at first. I was about to throw the main breaker to the off position out of fear the constant on/off would damage stuff when it finally went out and stayed out
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    didn't just go out, but kept going out and back on for a few seconds at a time over and over again at first. I was about to throw the main breaker to the off position out of fear the constant on/off would damage stuff when it finally went out and stayed out
    True, today's electronic gadgets don't care for power surges, & I don't 100% trust surge protecters, they fail just like I've had a GFI fail on me...
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Speaking of GFI's. A few months back I assumed a motion detector for our garage lights stopped functioning correctly. It would turn the lights on and a minute later they would turn off. You would have to trigger the detector again to have them on. Usually they would stay on for 5,10,30 minutes or 2 hours depending on the setting on the motion detector. For a few weeks I didn't know that a bad GFI socket was to blame. A basic 2 outlet GFI plug on the side of the house stopped working. The outlet is used for xmas lights. Well I replace the outlet and now the motion detector works as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    we are in the path of that cold front that caused an "October Storm" in the west and midwest.
    ick.

Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post
    No heavy snow is forecast for the next 7-10 days.
    Although they didn't forecast it in 2006 either...

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Same here. After the power went down and came back like 4 times I got up to unplug a few things in case there was a surge. I don't think my refrigerator appreciated going on and off either but I wasn't awake enough to dig for the cord on that one.

Thread Information