Thread: Small Businesses Like Obama's Energy Plans

Small Businesses Like Obama's Energy Plans

http://www.yourenergyblog.com/busine...energy-policy/

A poll suggests that the policies, if not the man, enjoy widespread support in the small business community.

$4.20 Diesel.... I love Obama's Energy plan. What a bunch of nonsense.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Hehe...420 diesel...sounds like a good smoke.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

A recent survey of small businesses suggests that owners are not generally opposed to the Obama Administration’s energy and environment initiatives. The survey, commissioned by the American Sustainable Business Council and administered by Lake Research Partners, shows considerable support across party lines for policies and goals aimed at heightened energy efficiency and investment.

Almost 80 percent of respondents agreed that the government should be setting goals to increase energy efficiency by 50 percent over the next decade. I find this statistic remarkable since every small business I know, wants Govt OUT OF THEIR LIVES... Govt cant fix, it can only break. Remarkably, even 76 percent of self-described Republicans were in favor of this overall goal supported by the Obama administration.

The suggested methods of reaching those goals were favored by a majority of respondents from both parties. Those methods included:

Encouraging banks to consider environmental benefits when considering new business loans (supported by 57%)
    Requiring all electric utilities to generate at least 20% of electricity from clean sources by 2020 (supported by 63%)Encouraging banks to lend, period, would be a good start.
    Ending subsidies for oil and corn based fuels (supported by 77%)YAY No more Corn Ethanol which is EXTREMELY expensive and really really bad for all internal combustion engines!
    EPA requirements that existing power plants must reduce carbon emissions (supported by 63%)Ya, I wonder what those who work in the Natural Gas, and Coal industry think about this?
    Ending subsidies for the coal, oil and gas industries (supported by 62%)We can start by ending subsidies for the Military Industrial Complex instead!
    These responses are in line with many of the energy and environmental initiatives supported by President Obama, as stated during two speeches given at Georgetown University in 2011 and 2013. President Obama has directed the Federal government to first model new efficiencies. Some directives include: US military bases are directed to install 3 gigawatts of renewable energy; the Federal government automobile fleet is directed to be 100 percent biofuel, hybrid or electric by 2015,never mind that telectric cars save ZERO carbon emissions... but we wont talk about that lol and enough public lands are to be opened to generate wind and solar power for six million additional homes by 2020.Or we can stop shutting down out coal and Nat Gas plants... You do know Wind Turbines kill bats, right?

In terms of direct investment, a substantial portion of the 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA: also called the “Stimulus Plan” or “Obama Stimulus”) went to fund both public and private sector efficiency upgrades as well as research and development into new technologies. Over $75 billion of ARRA funds were dedicated to loans, grants, and tax credits benefitting energy efficiency and environmental conservation. Lets look at Iraq and see how our Enviromental Conservation plans have worked out over there....Specifically, this includes $2 billion in grants for research and development of more efficient batteries that can store energy for both new electric cars and energy generated by solar and wind sources.No comment on the toxicity of those batteries when they wont hold a charge anymore....

New regulations have also been enacted to spur greater energy efficiency. Gas mileage standards for US made automobiles are to be raised to 35.5 mpg by 2016. There are also new requirements aimed at increasing energy efficiency by 20 percent on all new commercial buildings by 2020.Right... well cars built in the 1960's weighed twice as much as they do today... yet get the same MPG as cars today... odd... but SHH lets not talk about that!

Survey respondents do seem to be at odds with the Obama Administration’s policies in at least one area. Obama stated, “… [the U.S.] should strengthen our position as the top natural gas producer …” One of the implied ways the US would do this is by exploiting gas deposits via hydraulic fracturing, or fracking. Fracking practices have been controversial for years, and still is as 80 percent of survey respondents indicate that there should be EPA requirements for companies to publicly disclose all chemicals used in the fracking process.

One interesting note about the poll’s administration: at no point was President Obama’s name used in the questioning. It seems unlikely that his policies would enjoy such widespread support, especially among many self-identifying Republicans, if his name were to be attached to the policies. Maybe we can take a lesson that, however polarizing a presidential figure may be, it is the administration’s inherent policies that warrant the actual consideration.
    Kinda like the EPA's goal of cutting auto emissions by 50% with in the next 5 years... sounds great right?

Thing is, 95% of the 'smoke' out of a new cars tail pipe is water vapor... the other 5% is 'carbon emissions'

So to cut current emissions by 50%!! we are actually only cutting emissions by 2.5% but DRASTICALLY inflating the COST of the car!

Great plan!
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Thanks for the comments FMD. I appreciate it when people read and give thoughtful feedback. Most of your comments stand well by themselves, but there are a few I’d like to respond to:

Ya, I wonder what those who work in the Natural Gas, and Coal industry think about this?
    The coal industry is understandably concerned about the Obama administration’s energy policies in general, and new proposed rules cutting emissions even further aren’t making the industry feel any better. Natural gas though already burns clean enough to meet most emissions standards. Plus, President Obama’s recent nominee to FERC is a very good friend to the natural gas industry.

Or we can stop shutting down out coal and Nat Gas plants... You do know Wind Turbines kill bats, right?
    Christian Bale notwithstanding, I don’t know that many people will miss a few bats
    Seriously, it is the Obama Administration’s stated goal to lower carbon emissions across the board, and that means either less coal plants, or greater investment in clean coal technology. As quoted in my article, Obama believes “the U.S. should strengthen our position as the top natural gas producer …” While certainly some of that production would go to export, we would also see much of it used for our own energy purposes. I don’t expect we’re going to see less natural gas generating plants any time soon.

No comment on the toxicity of those batteries when they wont hold a charge anymore....
    Lengthening the life and efficiency of said batteries, as well as reducing harmful side effects of their use, is part of the further research and development that the $2 billion goes to support.

Thread Information