Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paterson To Introduce Same-Sex Marriage Bill

Paterson To Introduce Same-Sex Marriage Bill

By JOSEPH SPECTOR
    Gannett News Service

ALBANY _ Gov. David Paterson said Wednesday he plans to re-introduce legislation to make same-sex marriages legal in New York.

The legislation is expected to mirror a gay-marriage bill introduced in 2007 by former Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who -- with Paterson as his running mate -- campaigned in 2006 on a platform that included marriage equality.

"We'll put a bill out and let the people decide one way or the other,"

Paterson said Wednesday morning on WHCU-AM (870) in Ithaca.

But even with legislation from Paterson, the state Legislature has not signaled the bill would pass both houses. In 2007, the state Assembly passed Spitzer's marriage bill, but it stalled in the Republican-controlled Senate and remains that way now under Democratic control.

Paterson has been an outspoken supporter of marriage equality for same-sex couples and has indicated he would sign legislation to make it law. His legislation is expected to be submitted in advance of a major lobbying day in Albany by gay-rights groups on April 28.

The Democratic governor said he hopes the measure makes it to the Senate floor for a vote, even though he said he's not sure it would pass.

"Why can't a bill just be on the floor and lose?" he said, adding "if you have the votes later on to pass it, bring it back."

New York continues to debate same-sex marriages even as Vermont and Iowa legalized it in the past week.

Now with the Senate in Democratic hands, gay-rights groups are more optimistic of the bill's passage this year.

With a program bill from Paterson, "it's just another level of support that we anticipate and glad to have," Alan Van Capelle, executive director of the Empire State Pride Agenda.

But the Senate still appears a few votes shy from having the 32 votes needed for passage.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story...65695&catid=37
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

I've been fairly ambivalent to somewhat disappointed in what Paterson has done so far. It's about time he did something I could really get behind.

Go Patty!
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

I agree this is somthing that needs to be talked about, but NOW?

I have a feeling that Patterson plans on coming out of the closet after he get's laughed out of office!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    I agree this is somthing that needs to be talked about, but NOW?

I have a feeling that Patterson plans on coming out of the closet after he get's laughed out of office!
    If it's a Democrat you always have to have something to complain about. Once again....(see below)
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    If it's a Democrat you always have to have something to complain about. Once again....(see below)

What am i complaining about? ONE, i was saying this is something that needs to be addressed (CIVIL UNIONS), but their are much more important things that need to happen in NYS. Two, i taking a shot at patterson!

Unregistered
    I've been fairly ambivalent to somewhat disappointed in what Paterson has done so far. It's about time he did something I could really get behind.

Go Patty!
    Paterson talks about homosexuality, which excites run4it to the point he wants to "get behind" Paterson.

Sorry run, I just couldn't resist. You left the "back door" wide open.

Great move Paterson. The state is in a shambles financially and one of your priorities are to work on civil union marriages. I'm counting the hours until the next election.

Go Patty!
    Ditto!!!
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    What am i complaining about? ONE, i was saying this is something that needs to be addressed (CIVIL UNIONS), but their are much more important things that need to happen in NYS. Two, i taking a shot at patterson!
    That issue would be Marriage, not Civil Unions...
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    That issue would be Marriage, not Civil Unions...
    if that's the case, it will never pass, Patterson must be working for the Republicans, first he does a good job of screwing DEM's by passing this budget and now he wants to try gay marriage. He alone may do more damage to NYS DEM's than Bush did to Republicans, hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Anotherview View Post
    Great move Paterson. The state is in a shambles financially and one of your priorities are to work on civil union marriages. I'm counting the hours until the next election.
    Ditto

sounds like a diversion to me.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by Anotherview View Post
    ditto, get your priorities straight man, no pun intended, the state is bankrupt and THIS is on the top of your "to do" list?

Patterson: I've got the union vote, public sector, and minorities, now I 'll get the gay vote.

Seriously...civil rights aren't worth considering when you're short on money? And considering that tax policy is set in part on marriage status, yes this DOES have to do with taxes and what we're paying.

Just because we have a budget jam doesn't mean the rest of the business of the state should or can grind to a halt.

With tax time coming up, I don't think anything would distract us from that. If anything, consider that Paterson might be trying to push the gay marriage through hoping it stays under the radar during the budget crisis.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Patterson is probably thinking about marriage license fees.
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information