Thread: More bang for our tax bucks !

More bang for our tax bucks !

When a shooting range was part of Lancaster's New Courts/Cops building - residents were outraged. It was said later that the range would be removed from the "Court House/Cops" plan.

Guess I missed something - when did Lancaster acquire the land on the North/West Corner of Pleasantview/Pavement - directly across the street - the sight the gun range is now being built on - the range that was removed from the planned project ????????

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

I thought the gun range was going into the old police garage

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I thought the gun range was going into the old police garage
    Me too, I thought the development there was Essex Homes building houses! Well this is a question to ask the Supervisor.

4248 looked into it, the range is still going to be behind the new station. Not where you are suspecting. So the range is in the old police garage.

Thanks - I guess I thought it wasn't going to be built> Thanks for clearing that up.

While were on the subject - In talking to some of the younger Officers they seem less "Politically motivated" than their predecessors.

Its truly refreshing to feel their pride in being a police officer. They seem vary eager not to be painted with the "Party Patronage" brush.

I like what i see and hear - now if enough of the older "Party Payers" retire - maybe the new officers can be promoted and judged for promotions fairly.

Good Luck guys - stand tall
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Thanks - I guess I thought it wasn't going to be built> Thanks for clearing that up.

While were on the subject - In talking to some of the younger Officers they seem less "Politically motivated" than their predecessors.

Its truly refreshing to feel their pride in being a police officer. They seem vary eager not to be painted with the "Party Patronage" brush.

I like what i see and hear - now if enough of the older "Party Payers" retire - maybe the new officers can be promoted and judged for promotions fairly.

Good Luck guys - stand tall

Hopefully what you posted is true because it was past town/police politics that delayed the building of the police/courts building since the purchase of the Walden Avenue Colecraft Building fiasco in 2003.

It took ten years for the town board to realize the purchase of the Colecraft Building was an irresponsible move from day one – from the day some residents were invited to visit the site and were lied to from that day and over the years.

If and when you speak to the younger office, and/or dispatch personnel, let them know that the same people who regularly attend town board meetings have attempted to hold the town board accountable and were/are the same individuals who recommended the building of a new police/courts facility in 2003; and were even then provided bogus statistics by town hired guns (feasibility studies) to favor the Colecraft Building over a new build option.

They should know the history of the project process; how the residents were lied to over the years and/or stalled in getting information at town board meetings; the millions of taxpayer dollars wasted on the Colecraft Building project through feasibility studies/ a court challenge/ the associated increased project costs by construction delay, etc.

They should know that those same residents challenging the process have the utmost respect for their police department (especially patrol officers) and have always supported the town having its own police department and who supported a new building option that favored their operation and need, as well the hierarchy. Case in point: $12,000 desk ensembles and no sink in the employee break room.

In 2010, the town increased the public safety/courts/shooting range bond from $8 million to $10 million. The increase was necessary because the construction of the police/courts building was going to be $7 million alone. The $7 million did not include the construction SNAFUS that came along the way; the purchase of furniture, computers, etc. Included in the $10 million was $850,000 for reconstruction/renovation of the Pavement Avenue police garage for a shooting range.

The point being made by some residents is that they were told the $10 million should be more than enough for the costs associated with all wants and needs. When the project is completed residents will want a full accounting of what the project cost is and the interest costs over the term of the bond. As Mr. Beutler stated at the recent town board meeting, “Build us a hotel, not the Ritz.”

Too often with this project the tail has been wagging the dog. The dog here is the taxpayer. Early on when the design came in for the renovation for the Colecraft Building the police/courts/politicos bristled when residents spoke on the opulent wish list presented by those parties. The wish list even then was looked upon as building a Taj Mahal

And tell them that too often the story told in the media favored the town position and that it took a NYS Comptrollers audit to verify what some of the residents had been stating for years:

• The town delayed the project process, not the residents who instated legal action because of a bogus feasibility study; and where the judge ruled that where no criminal intent was evident, bad governance was.

• That $2.5 million was wasted from in the purchase of the Colecraft Building, by taking it off the tax rolls, from building repair and maintenance costs, etc.

• That no formal appraisal was performed on the Colecraft Building at time of purchase – as was stated and supported by council members who still serve on the town board and are up for re-election.

That the agreement signed between the town and the Colecraft Building owners was an irrevocable agreement where unless both sides agreed to terminate the agreement it wasn’t going to happen.

• There is evidence that poor past construction practices cost the town money for remediation; that flaws in building construction exist; and concern that excessive spending practices when questioned are answered with, “But we are still under budget.” Yes, set a budget so high that all mistakes and wants can be attained.

• Police and dispatch have been working in a building with leaks, with windows in such condition that the snow blows in the winter, etc. They should have had a new facility 10 years ago. And 10 years ago it would have been larger in size and at less cost to the taxpayer.

Councilman Ruffino stated at the recent town board meeting that it was not the town’s intent to micro manage the project, but to hire experts and trust them. How’s that working out for you? Have you never heard the phrase trust but verify? Obviously not because not one board member had any clue on what the furniture listed included or reason for the exorbitant cost. Because it was the lowest bid received no one cared what was on the wish list, who wanted what or what the costs would be; instead of meeting basic needs. Hell, it’s only taxpayer money and we are under budget, right?

God forbid the town decides to put in that $6,000 sink in the employees break room (that should have been in the original design) and there is a budget overrun because of it. It will be the focus of the budget overrun, not $12,000 desk ensemble.

This project sucked from day one and continues to suck! The residents were promised input. Trying to get information is like pulling teeth and resident input has been all but ignored. The residents are not experts, it's only their money. But wait, someone did listen to the residents. Supervisor Fudoli voted 'NO' on the resolution to purchase the furniture basing his vote on what he heard from the public.

Lee thank you for your knowledge and efforts to expose the crap that this town board has been doing over the years. I question the reasons for raising the bond from $7,000,000.00 to $10,000,000.00 or was it to cover their butts on the lost of the coldcraft building? The sad part is the Dems. have the taxpayers Bullsh#ted with lies and more lies! I can't see the Board being effected in this up coming elections, due to the lack of control of the Reps. in the town! Looking at their candidates lack of effort to show selfs at town board meetings? They might be there but are silent! Because I don't read anything on line or in the Buffalo News!

Lets see, Jon Abraham, endorsed by the "Conservative Party" votes YES for the expensive furniture along with the other 3 amigos. I think it is time the Conservative Party starts doing their homework before passing out endorsements like candy. He does not come close to having any of the conservative values the party stands for. Then again, daddy takes care of him.

SORRY.. WRONG POST....
    Last edited by ichingtheory; September 6th, 2013 at 06:53 PM.

Thread Information