Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locking Your Car Door Safely

Locking Your Car Door Safely

I just received this email and thought it was worthwhile to pass on. Apparently this is true according to Snopes:

How to Lock Your Car and Why I locked my car --- as I walked away I heard my car door unlock I went back and locked my car again three times. I looked around and there were two guys sitting in a car in the fire lane next to the store. When I looked straight at them they did not unlock my car again.

How to lock your car safely -

While traveling, my son stopped at a roadside park. He came out to his car less than 4-5 minutes later and found someone had gotten into his car, and stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigator briefcase.....you name it...

He called the police and since there were no signs of his car being broken into - the police told him that there is a device that robbers are using now to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your key-chain locking device..

They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are going inside of the store, restaurant, or bathroom and have a few minutes to steal and run. The police officer said to manually lock your car door-by hitting the lock button inside the car, that way if there is someone siting in a parking lot watching for their next victim it will not be you.

When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting...it does not send the security code, but if you walk away and use the door lock on your key chain - it sends the code through the airwaves where it can be stolen. Something totally new to us...and real.

Be aware of this and please pass this note on...look how many times we all lock our doors with our remote...just to be sure we remembered to lock them....and bingo someone has our code...and whatever was in the car...can be stolen.

Snopes Approved.Please share with everyone you know... Good information!!!

WOW! Very informative!
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

That one sounds believable. It's a by-product of War Driving, or trying to hack unsecured networks. For the car alarms, I (imagine) they use a frequency scanner in combination with a laptop. The same technology was used to clone the early analog cell phones, and they certainly had fun with that. Ever get a $3300 phone bill?

A similar device is used to crack garage door opener codes, although that device is passive, it rolls through hundreds of thousands of codes in a few seconds.

There's a group of students at MIT that try to hack stuff like pay-at-the-pump speedpass and encryption devices, albeit not for nefarious purposes, but to expose the fallibility of it.

I guess anything with a remote would be susceptible.

Here's a Frequency scanner*

Here's a Standard War Driving set up*

*I disavow all knowledge and purported uses of such device, if such device actually exists.

Last edited by ChaneysGotaGun; March 19th, 2009 at 09:58 PM.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaneysGotaGun View Post
    That one sounds believable. It's a by-product of War Driving, or trying to hack unsecured networks. For the car alarms, I (imagine) they use a frequency scanner in combination with a laptop. The same technology was used to clone the early analog cell phones, and they certainly had fun with that. Ever get a $3300 phone bill?

A similar device is used to crack garage door opener codes, although that device is passive, it rolls through hundreds of thousands of codes in a few seconds.

There's a group of students at MIT that try to hack stuff like pay-at-the-pump speedpass and encryption devices, albeit not for nefarious purposes, but to expose the fallibility of it.

I guess anything with a remote would be susceptible.

Here's a Frequency scanner*

Here's a Standard War Driving set up*

*I disavow all knowledge and purported uses of such device, if such device actually exists.

That's an erlier version of the one I use.

on some cars, all you need is a long piece of metal to open the door. and that piece is almost gaurenteed to be on the vehical. and easily accessible. I wont post exact details, but I can get into any particular kind of vehical i want, inside of 20 seconds.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Not really Snopes approved, and most likely false

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/lockcode.asp
    HipKat's Blog

It seems hard to imagine that common car thieves would invest big bucks into purchasing electronic devices to grab an entry code, when just smash-and-grab of the window would provide the same results???

Would you rather have a window smashed or doorframe/keylock ruined by them trying to enter your vehicle? Or have them get in without damages?

Just avoid leaving valuables in view. If they want it, they're gonna get it one way or another.

I love these young kids driving around with decals plastered all over the windshields of their cars with names of top-dollar stero systems they have inside. Decals like Rockford-Fosgate, Polk Audio, Kicker, etc. Might as well run neon lights that say "Expensive Stereo System Installed".

Quote Originally Posted by Anotherview View Post
    The police officer said to manually lock your car door-by hitting the lock button inside the car, that way if there is someone siting in a parking lot watching for their next victim it will not be you.

When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting...it does not send the security code ...
    Unfortunately, I don't think their solution would work for all cars.... I know it won't on mine. I can't lock my doors until they are fully closed first. This is a safety feature to prevent lockouts.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    on some cars, all you need is a long piece of metal to open the door. and that piece is almost gaurenteed to be on the vehical. and easily accessible. I wont post exact details, but I can get into any particular kind of vehical i want, inside of 20 seconds.
    This handy device will get you in a lot quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLV View Post
    It seems hard to imagine that common car thieves would invest big bucks into purchasing electronic devices to grab an entry code, when just smash-and-grab of the window would provide the same results???
    They probably steal these too

I have this new device that senses when the perpetrators hand is on the door jam and closes the door when it is.

Here are the last perps that tried to steal my lock codes:

Last edited by mikenold; March 20th, 2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

I found a good way to fight back. I always tape razor blades to the back of the stereo, with the edge JUST hanging corner of the back of the stereo....
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    I have this new device that senses when the perpetrators hand is on the door jam and closes the door when it is.

Here are the last perps that tried to steal my lock codes:

This is hysterical...... Can you imagine if this really happened to someone who tried to break into a car? I love it. Good one Mike.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    I found a good way to fight back. I always tape razor blades to the back of the stereo, with the edge JUST hanging corner of the back of the stereo....
    I used to know someone who taped razors under his door handles.

Some jerk stole our friends car in a mall parking lot a few yrs ago..he had $350 and his watch rolled up in a dirty sock along with some of his gym clothes ..when the thieves went thru the items in the trunk they didnt bother looking in his stinky sock and when he went to pick up the car his money and watch were untouched lol
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information