Thread: Full market assessments coming?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Full market assessments coming?

Is Cheektowaga converting to Full market value assessments? This was on Nicole Gawel's Facebook page. She posted this with the pic - "Is thishow you plan on increasing our population in Cheektowaga ? What other town inthe state assesses properties at their full market value??!? This is absurd!" I listed 7 towns in Erie County that are fully assessed. I did not include villages or cities. She may be a bit naïve.

Georgia L Schlager

Nicole just exposed her ignorance. FMV assessment is the only fair way to fairly distribute the tax burden.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Nicole just exposed her ignorance. FMV assessment is the only fair way to fairly distribute the tax burden.
    I'm going with naivety, not ignorance. She should not have commented until she did a little research. I agree with you about FMV.

Georgia L Schlager

is Nicole a homeowner or tenant?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    But what will full assessment mean to the average home owner?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    It means we all pay a fair share. Those who presently underpay their share because their homes haven't been re-assessed since they bought them in 1950 will start paying a fair share of the property tax. why would anyone oppose a fair distribution of the tax burden?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Res, this was your response in December 2004 - http://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sho...ll=1#post15832

Assessments should not change until you sell your home. Even if you improve your home you shouldn't pay an increased land rent for the rest of your life. Your improvement on your home doesn't add to the cost of the services your city/town provide. The assessment should only change when you go to sell your home.
    Do you still have the same opinion 9 years later?

Georgia L Schlager

The one thing that will change with FMV is that you will be able to compare the property taxes you pay with any other municipality with FMV. It is an easy calculation with both homes at FMV. It is a difficult calculation for comparison when you asses at anything less than FMV.

The tax per thousand will change lower and the budget or the amount collected in property taxes stays the same.

So the tax on a 100,000 dollar home in Cheektowaga can be compared with the tax on a 100,000 dollar home in West Seneca without any extra calculations.

There are a few taxpayers, namely Galleria and some others that will end up paying more but for most homeowners the tax will remain relatively the same.

I am for this change and have been asking for it. I have spoken with Mary Holtz and she is for it. It will be a welcomed change!
    Last edited by mikenold; August 26th, 2013 at 07:39 AM. Reason: change
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    The one thing that will change with FMV is that you will be able to compare the property taxes you pay with any other municipality with FMV. It is an easy calculation with both homes at FMV. It is a difficult calculation for comparison when you asses at anything less than FMV.

The tax per thousand will change lower and the budget or the amount collected in property taxes stays the same.

So the tax on a 100,000 dollar home in Cheektowaga can be compared with the tax on a 100,000 dollar home in West Seneca without any extra calculations.

There are a few taxpayers, namely Galleria and some others that will end up paying more but for most homeowners the tax will remain relatively the same.

I am for this change and have been asking for it. I have spoken with Mary Holtz and she is for it. It will be a welcomed change!
    GETTING a letter from Property Tax Assessment Dept of your town...is like getting a letter from the IRS!...I dont know which is worse!

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    GETTING a letter from Property Tax Assessment Dept of your town...is like getting a letter from the IRS!...I dont know which is worse!
    The system works best when the town uses a 100% fmv for assessment, AND citizens use the administrative appeal process and the SAR process if necessary to challenge over valued assessments.

For example, lets say the town assess all the homes on my street at 150,000. None is worth more than 100,000. If I'm the only one who challenges the assessed value and the only one who gets a reduction to 100K, then all my neighbors are overpaying relative to me.

Every homeowner needs to take responsibility for determining the FMV of their home (get an appraisal, even if only a real estate agents market value appraisal), stay aware of what homes in your area are selling for, and check your assessed value every year. File an appeal if you think it is too high.

Thread Information