Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So who do you think would be more efficient?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

So who do you think would be more efficient?

So,

As we were posting about WIC I had an idea.

Why pay people to help others while we have 100's of qualified volunteer groups who can do the same or better?

I don't see any need to pay people to do what volunteers do and have proven to do in the past. Examples are food banks, catholic charities, churches and the like.

Treehugger?

Would you agree by paying 40 people working at the county level for WIC is basically taking away about 1 million dollars worth of food out of babies/childrens tummy's ? Children come first, don't you agree?

Wouldn't you rather have 1,000,000 dollars more to help these people in need? Why saddle the community with pensions, salaries, inefficiencies when there is no need to.

What other programs can we move to volunteer groups or even non-profits to get more bang for our bucks worse case.

These 40 people who work in the WIC department are basically taking bottles of baby formula right out of the babes hands. I'm surprized the legislature allows that to happen. Makes you wonder who they are representing. The community or their small interest groups who help them get re-elected each term.

well what those 40 people mean to the CL is 40 votes, plus their famillies. That is the main reason why the county continues to support so many jobs and people, it's to keep their jobs, they don't care about the long term health of EC or WNY.

Why do any towns, villages or cities still have garbage service? Why isn't it all done as a seperate service?
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So,

As we were posting about WIC I had an idea.

Why pay people to help others while we have 100's of qualified volunteer groups who can do the same or better?

I don't see any need to pay people to do what volunteers do and have proven to do in the past. Examples are food banks, catholic charities, churches and the like.

Treehugger?

Would you agree by paying 40 people working at the county level for WIC is basically taking away about 1 million dollars worth of food out of babies/childrens tummy's ? Children come first, don't you agree?

Wouldn't you rather have 1,000,000 dollars more to help these people in need? Why saddle the community with pensions, salaries, inefficiencies when there is no need to.

What other programs can we move to volunteer groups or even non-profits to get more bang for our bucks worse case.

These 40 people who work in the WIC department are basically taking bottles of baby formula right out of the babes hands. I'm surprized the legislature allows that to happen. Makes you wonder who they are representing. The community or their small interest groups who help them get re-elected each term.
    what makes ability qualified? alot of groups have the ability to give out food at a soup kitchen. anyone on this message board has the ability to volunteer, are they qualifed to look at each individual case for wic? are they educated in nutrion to guide in healthy eating like the county workers are? how many volunteers would have the ability to set aside their personal opinions to handle each case with what's best for the children? any group can have ability. it doesn't mean that they are qualified. could you work in a wic office taking a case of an unwed mother having her 5th kid? could you handle giving her the checks for cheese, milk and juice with having an opinion that she shouldn't have anymore kids because she's on welfare? you might have the ability to do so, does not make you qualified in social services. saving a million looks good on newspaper headlines. it isn't a good move for the wic program. 40 qualified workers isn't the same as 1,000 opinionated volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree_hugger29 View Post
    what makes ability qualified? alot of groups have the ability to give out food at a soup kitchen. anyone on this message board has the ability to volunteer, are they qualifed to look at each individual case for wic? are they educated in nutrion to guide in healthy eating like the county workers are? how many volunteers would have the ability to set aside their personal opinions to handle each case with what's best for the children? any group can have ability. it doesn't mean that they are qualified. could you work in a wic office taking a case of an unwed mother having her 5th kid? could you handle giving her the checks for cheese, milk and juice with having an opinion that she shouldn't have anymore kids because she's on welfare? you might have the ability to do so, does not make you qualified in social services. saving a million looks good on newspaper headlines. it isn't a good move for the wic program. 40 qualified workers isn't the same as 1,000 opinionated volunteers.
    You're kidding, right?

We aren’t talking about rocket science or creating world peace, we’re talking about subsidizing meals for people that “can’t afford them” themselves.

What qualifications are required? I can go online and get the WIC nutrition guide; I don’t need 40 county workers to do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree_hugger29 View Post

For a person who whines about people not caring enough, you seem to be the one who doesn't care about the tax payers

I'm sure there are some qualified non-judgemental people out there volunteering or getting paid by someone else somewhere. Red Cross? Kaleida? One of the local Foundations?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    I'm sure there are some qualified non-judgemental people out there volunteering or getting paid by someone else somewhere. Red Cross? Kaleida? One of the local Foundations?
    not to mention, what proof is their that the 40 county workers weren't opinionated, i mean they DO work for the county!

Could you imagine if Goody ran WIC....

Single moms would have to go to the park to get their "free cheese"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    not to mention, what proof is their that the 40 county workers weren't opinionated, i mean they DO work for the county!
    That wasn't very nice Dougles! Unless you know those 40 people?
    Much as I dislike big government, to be fair, I know many people employed by the state/county that are caring, hard-working and intelligent. The thing is, I also know many others just as nice, caring, hard-working and intelligent that don't. Point being, those qualities are not unique to county employees.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Enough View Post
    Could you imagine if Goody ran WIC....

Single moms would have to go to the park to get their "free cheese"!

I actually don't consider WIC a bad program seeing it's targeted directly to kids. It actually wouldn't phase me at all if they had a WIC elderly supplement attached to meals on wheels.

I wish we knew the exact enrollment to figure out what it cost per household helped.

I actually don't consider WIC a bad program seeing it's targeted directly to kids. It actually wouldn't phase me at all if they had a WIC elderly supplement attached to meals on wheels.

I wish we knew the exact enrollment to figure out what it cost per household helped.

I thought it was posted at 16,000 people in the county.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    That wasn't very nice Dougles! Unless you know those 40 people?
    Much as I dislike big government, to be fair, I know many people employed by the state/county that are caring, hard-working and intelligent. The thing is, I also know many others just as nice, caring, hard-working and intelligent that don't. Point being, those qualities are not unique to county employees.
    Every human is opinionated I'm not sure what the big deal is? I didn't say anything bad about the people or their work ethic, but they're humans and every human has an opinion on everything, it's a by product of our free society.

I agree, good idea!

Someone must know those numbers.

I'm all for WIC!

I think there's probably some fraud and waste, just like with any subsidized program....

I also think some of the fraud comes from within, and just like any government program I'm sure we could figure out a way to run it more efficiently and get more benefits to the people that actually need it!

WIC should be a program, not a career choice!

At the same time, we have a real problem with teen pregnancy! The figures I posted on the other thread prove it! We MUST figure out a way to do more and educate kids about how getting pregnant really makes a successful future more difficult to acheive.

Maybe Planned Parenthood would be a good WIC provider?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information