Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: walmart?

walmart?

is it still a GO for the proposed walmat that was to be built at transit and william streets?
    anybody know the status?
    thanks,
    butch

Unregistered

Smile Super Wal Mart Coming

Wal Mart is definitely going to be a Super Wal Mart
    at William street & Transit Road in the Gateway Centre
    (150,000 square feet store) (the Target going in across the street is 126,000 square feet store) their not sure if the
    Super Wal Mart is going to be a 24/7 yet. that's gotta to
    be work out with the Lancaster Town Board, it's been upgraded
    to a larger store & a Super Wal Mart for a couple of reasons
    1. to compete with the Target across the street &
    2. to Punish C.A.R.S. & Tops market's which was one of the
    main company's Funding the Lawsuits. orginally it was
    going to be a regular Wal Mart , but now it will be a Super Wal
    Mart that well sell Food & Grocerys too. Their will also be
    Stripe Plaza Constructed on The Gateway Centre which
    will house 5 to 7 Smaller retail shops, they should break
    Ground in the Spring of 2006 and Should open before X-Mas
    of 06 (Target is excepted to open in the Fall of 06 too.

walmart

jennifer, i do not know where you get your info but you are misstaken in almost every statement. It is, however, expecting construction to commence in the spring with a store opening in the fall of 06.
    Butch, the developer has done its best to continue this project in the face of the many costly nuisance suits. Regrettably, our area economy has suffered needlessly from these delays.
    It is sad that cheektowaga has been able to attract and react so quickly to the opportunity for commercial growth while Lancaster has been forced to languish for years on this project.

well.................spring has come and gone.......................but still no Walmart...........anybody have any up to date info??

walmart update

last heard; walmart has let their engineering contracts but are prevented from commencing physical construction due to the strain internally and externally on staff and supplies due to extensive reconstruction projects resulting from the many hurricane ravaged areas of the country. groundbreaking remains anticipated for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by butch
    well.................spring has come and gone.......................but still no Walmart...........anybody have any up to date info??
    Don't worry - as long as our Town Board remains true to form - we will get a Walmart and many many more homes and sub divisions. Where there is green - they will build - where there is "Flood Plain" they will fill.
    Thats why our taxes are so low - all the building helps offset the cost of services. Just think - when all the build-able space is used - our property values will skyrocket - then they can re-assess our properties higher and we can help pay for even better services.
    I am just glad we can give our Elected and appointed officials Good Lifetime health care ,dental care and pension programs. I hope in the future we can find ways to give all our "Part-time" workers such great life-time benefits.
    I feel some what bad about moving out in the next few years.I will be forced to move south so as to live close to my children.They both found good jobs and i don't understand it but it seems you can get a nice home and pay allot less property taxes.Even gasoline and smokes(bad habit) are cheaper.
    Maybe they haven't had all the growth we have enjoyed.Maybe soon they will learn to build bigger public service facility's and we can help more people get better benefits and taxpayer funded retirements.

Just my thoughts - i could be wrong. Thanks for your time.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Any new information on the Walmart build???

Is it a superwalmart??

Is it still held up in court??

Anyone??

I can't wiat to shop there............I have to drive to Amherst every Sunday.

BYE, BYE TOPS.............and Good riddens

Wal Mart going to Alden instead

Now that Wal Mart's going to build a New super Wal Mart at
    Broadway & Three rod road in Alden, does that mean that their not going to build in Lancaster. 8 years later and still nothing ! that corner is becoming
    a larger garage dump everyday !

Wal Mart

Their suppose to break ground by December, the hang up is
    that their deciding weather to make it a regular Wal Mart or
    Super Wal Mart , that's if you believe The Big G.

The proposed Walmart in Alden is only being called that by the anti Walmart gang. If they would do some research they would see the site plan is calling for a 100 thousand square foot store, {possible 2 100 thousand square foot stores, in the future a Home Depot maybe}, and the average size of the SuperWalmart stores being built is 187,000 square feet. Don't believe everything you hear until you check the facts.

Hey Boomer:

Does Wal-Mart build anything but a supercenter these days?

pudge

wrong point it is only asumed to be a walmart because of the size no one has said what it will realy be in alden the anti walmart union people just guess that is what is happening. at 100,000 sq. it is too small for a super walmart
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

As someone who is attending meetings and is actively opposed to what is proposed for Alden can I just clarify a few things ....

1. The developer said himself what he proposed was a Wal-Mart supercenter at a Town Board meeting. Some members of the local government (not all) and economic development community have been routinely mis-informing the public to (I can only assume) slip this through under the radar.

2. All the "union anti walmart" talk is complete nonsense (in our case at least)and is only used to scapegoat groups who oppose them. Of course many people opposed to Wal-Mart are in a union, but to paint the entire movement as such is as silly as to paint all pro Wal-Mart people as "whatever". Some people simply appreciate where they live and find the prospect of a gigantic supercenter in their small town or neighborhood as something less than desirable.

3. The size of the site for Alden is 94 acres and Wal-Mart is only the 1st project planned. The entire site is the size of the Galleria Mall and Wal-Mart will only be building on 20-some acres of that. Again, that is from the develpers own mouth at a Town Board meeting.

4. As a member of one of the groups opposing this development I can vouch for every member of our group that we are not anti growth or commerce. Every person who lives in Alden misses the Ames that we used to have. Wal-Mart is only being mentioned at all because they are the first to come into the site and will be the "anchor" for all the other big-box and chain retailers that will follow. Actually, some of the members of our group shop at Wal-Mart and don't hate them at all.

1000ft from ground zero.

So Ground Zero's opposition {1000 ft from ground zero} is actually the classic NIMBY, What do they think is going to happen along Route 20...a major four lane state highway, the most traveled road in the township. If there is going to be commercial development that is where it is going to be. Another Galleria? Be real, the town doesn't not have the location, traffic access or population density to economically support such an investment.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The size of the site for Alden is 94 acres and Wal-Mart is only the 1st project planned. The entire site is the size of the Galleria Mall and Wal-Mart will only be building on 20-some acres of that. Again, that is from the develpers own mouth at a Town Board meeting.
    To me this isn't smart growth.

Alden is not that far from the walmart in lancaster. Why ruin the surroundings in alden. Isn't there some empty strip plaza right on broadway as you enter alden as it is?

Who in alden can't drive to a walmart in lancaster more or less not be able to if one was in alden anyway. Go look at cheektowaga and see waht all the growth got us. Nothing in my opinion and we are still boned on property taxes....

We get clogged streets in november/december around the mall big deal. Next time you are driving down union road walden/genesse area look at how many vacant buildings there are. Far too many.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information