Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama's 'Special Olympics' Gaffe

Unregistered

Obama's 'Special Olympics' Gaffe

Barack Obama makes 'special Olympics' gaffe on Jay Leno's The Tonight Show

Barack Obama's appearance on Jay Leno's The Tonight Show produced a damaging gaffe after the president appeared to make a disparaging comment about the 'special Olympics'.

By Mark Coleman in Los Angeles
    Last Updated: 9:18AM GMT 20 Mar 2009

Appearing on the late night talk show, the president compared his skills at bowling to those of a handicapped athlete.

Asked by Mr Leno, who hosts the show, if he had been practicing bowling in his Washington office, Mr Obama joked that his highest score was the extremely low total of 129.

“That’s very good, Mr President,” Mr Leno interjected in a sarcastic tone.

Mr Obama then countered that the score was “like the Special Olympics or something”.

Ehh he's a liberal, they'll just spin it as him being compassionate or some crap! We live in a world defined on double standards!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

If you watch the clip, his comment is more on the way Jay is applauding his sub-par efforts.

It was more a joke about Leno being patronizing, not directly intended to disparage the special olympics.

I have to admit, it wasn't the best choice in phrases, but I don't think we'll see a calendar of "Obamaism's" any time soon.
    "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
    If you watch the clip, his comment is more on the way Jay is applauding his sub-par efforts.

It was more a joke about Leno being patronizing, not directly intended to disparage the special olympics.

I have to admit, it wasn't the best choice in phrases, but I don't think we'll see a calendar of "Obamaism's" any time soon.
    As many of his supports are saying.... his only been in office 60 days... give him some time!

Unregistered
    Obama claims that he was poking fun at himself, not the Special Olympics. Very lame explanation, in my opinion.

If he wasn't making fun of the Special Olympics, how was he "poking fun at himself"?

This is what happens when Obama comments without a teleprompter.

Well, he obviously didn't filter that one through the PC filter before it came out.

I thought you guys were anti-PC anyways?

Like I said, poor choice of phrases, I know that he meant it to chide Jay for patronizing him, but even in context, it's a knock on the special olympics by implying that they patronize the participants with their praise.
    "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mohandas Gandhi

Well, he obviously didn't filter that one through the PC filter before it came out.

Like I said, poor choice of phrases, I know that he meant it to chide Jay for patronizing him, but even in context, it's a knock on the special olympics by implying that they patronize the participants with their praise.

No I'm anti people who claim we all need to give and be compasionate to other and then those that don't practice what they preach. Like Fat Ted is one of the biggest advocates for Nationalized HC and yet had he been an average Joe, he would be dead by now from his fat brain. Not to mention he's a killer and should be in jail

Unregistered

The Dems and Liberal media had a field-day with Bush's euphemisms, now it's "our" turn.

The Liberal media will allow this comment to fade away rather quickly. Had Bush made the same comment, it would be an entirely different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    The Dems and Liberal media had a field-day with Bush's euphemisms, now it's "our" turn.

The Liberal media will allow this comment to fade away rather quickly. Had Bush made the same comment, it would be an entirely different story.
    I dunno about that one.... The media had a hey-day with Howard Dean's excited Yelp.

If it weren't for that, I think we'd be at the beginning of a second Dean administration right now.

You people are funny.
    You get pissed off when people are PC.
    Then, then you get pissed off when someone is NOT PC.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    You people are funny.
    You get pissed off when people are PC.
    Then, then you get pissed off when someone is NOT PC.
    Who's "pissed-off"?

I'm just using any blunder of Obama's to bash him.

You know; the same way the Libs did with Bush.

You assume too much.

This is the danger when a President tries to be a casual "regular guy" and boost his popularity ratings by going on a talk show.

Personally, I think the remark was very naturally a "regular guy" way of talking and something that we all wouldn't take much offense (may even find amusing) in a different setting.

Much ado about nothing.
    “Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    It's being blown out of proportion.

It's all a distraction from what's really going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller View Post
    This is the danger when a President tries to be a casual "regular guy" and boost his popularity ratings by going on a talk show.

Personally, I think the remark was very naturally a "regular guy" way of talking and something that we all wouldn't take much offense (may even find amusing) in a different setting.

Much ado about nothing.
    Bingo.

He needs to worry less about brackets, Leno, and St Pats parties and more about the facts surrounding the economy and the AIG bonus lies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information