Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Service Departments

Unregistered

Auto Service Departments

I'm looking for a reputable Chevrolet service department to do warranty work. I've tried two dealers and so far, not so good.

I took my car to Paddock Chevrolet for an oil change and to observe while I was there. In the approximately 45 minute wait, I observed two other customers screaming at them for doing several hundred dollars of "unauthorized" service work. That was enough to scare me off.

Recently, I took my car to Keller Chevrolet for warranty work. On the phone, I told them exactly what the problem was and that I wouldn't be able to leave the vehicle with them and, therefore, would have to wait while they worked on my vehicle. When I arrived, I had to wait for a good half hour while the service managers chatted on their telephones. When I was finally attended to, they asked if I was leaving the vehicle. As I had already told them when I scheduled the appointment, that was not a possibility. They said the job could take up to eight hours. I asked why I wasn't informed of this on the phone. They said, "well, you should have asked."

Next, the service manager puts a form in front of me and asks me to sign. I said, "what are you asking me to sign"? He replies, "it's just a vehicle inspection report, saying there's no visible damage to your vehicle." "it's for your protection." I looked the form over, and noticed the damage report is blank, so I wrote "no damages" on the form, which earned me a dirty look from the service manager. Had I not wrote that, they could have damaged the car and wrote the damages, (that they caused,) on the blank, signed form.

Upon "completion," I asked if everything was completed. The cashier says, "let me go find out." She comes back and informs me that they had to order another part and I'd have to schedule another appointment when the part comes in. They knew what I was coming in for, yet only had half the parts!

Here's the part that upset me the most. A day after they finally completed the work, someone pulls up to my wife at an intersection and informs her that a break light is out. Since the car only had 14,000 miles on it, I found this a bit odd, but what's to say it wasn't just a defective bulb, right? WRONG!!! When going to replace the bulb, I noticed one of the wing-nuts was already half unscrewed. The taillight assembly had NOTHING to do with the warranty work. I honestly believe that they stole my bulb to use in another vehicle. Perhaps they figured I'd come back to them to have the bulb replaced. That couldn't be any further from the truth. I will NEVER return to Keller Chevrolet!

justKel
    Honestly, that sounds like pretty much every dealership. Most seem to act like you're inconveniencing them by bringing your car in for repairs.

I'd be perfectly happy going back to horse and buggy. Maybe I should become Amish... Are they taking applications?

Dont buy American cars!! The warranty sucks! The vehicles suck! Ive had a Hyundai for 5 yrs...just got it paid off...and im still under warranty another 50,000 miles or 5 yrs...
    Ive never had a problem they didnt fix under warranty. Its had a few mechanical problems with the powersteering, and thats about it...always fixed the same day i bring it in, with no additional cost. Ive been pleased and it is pointless to trade it in when i have that warranty. One of the best investments ive made...and ive made a lot of BAD ones...lol.

American car companys want to get competitive, they better make better cars they can back with a beafy warranty! This is when i again will buy American cars. I tried, I really did. Ive had 2 dodges, 2 Fords and a Chevy. This all before I went foreign and will never look back til things change, big time!
    Mark Twain:
    Surely the ass who invented the first religion ought to be the first ass damned
    Faith is believing in that which I know ain't so.

I take my Ford to Basil Ford. I have always been happy with the work although it can be a little more expensive than an idependent shop.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

I have been taking my cars to West Herr Ford on Camp Rd. for 20 yrs. And I use the Quicklane for oil changes and warrenty car check ups. I never had a problem with them, they do fix the problem the first time and they treat me "like I am their only customer".

I started going to them because the car I bought from another Ford dealership, no longer in business by the way, who was so unreliable in do simple oil changes let alone any major problems. Every time I went for an oil change I hand to make sure they put not only new oil and filter but actually filled it with oil PERIOD. They "forgot" to put the oil in the first time I had a change and from then on I always checked. That lasted a year when I had emission control problems and they couldn't fix it to save their life and my relative told me about West Herr. I took it there and the problem was solved in one visit and at no cost to me because it was under warrenty. The other dealer charged me "diagnostic fees" Boy was I a "sucker" for them. I was so naive back then. So I have been going to West Herr ever since.
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

a) You shouldn't have bought American
    b) You're foolish for taking any car to any dealer for routine maintenance work. The nature of their business is to rip you off. That goes for every single dealership in the country.

Avoid going any place that includes the words "Quick," "Jiffy," or "Fast," in the business name. This goes for car repair as well as Asian massage parlors.

Charging for parts not replaced, work not done is rampant in this business. Five of nine times in the undercover investigation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZhUWy1rmPw

Agreed, that the Jiffy-type places will always try to get you for something like a filter, but the damage will be much less than that of the dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLBAGS View Post
    Dont buy American cars!! The warranty sucks! The vehicles suck! Ive had a Hyundai for 5 yrs...just got it paid off...and im still under warranty another 50,000 miles or 5 yrs...
    Ive never had a problem they didnt fix under warranty. Its had a few mechanical problems with the powersteering, and thats about it...always fixed the same day i bring it in, with no additional cost. Ive been pleased and it is pointless to trade it in when i have that warranty. One of the best investments ive made...and ive made a lot of BAD ones...lol.

American car companys want to get competitive, they better make better cars they can back with a beafy warranty! This is when i again will buy American cars. I tried, I really did. Ive had 2 dodges, 2 Fords and a Chevy. This all before I went foreign and will never look back til things change, big time!
    My brother-inlaw went to a hyundai delare in the "northtowns" and bought a used 2006, they never did the paper work corretly at the DMV because his license plates were still registered in his last car, never recieved his title, he had to do all the work the dealer didn't and when he called to complain and ask for money and the cost of the ticket they told him to bad the cars sold and all that was his responsibility before the final sale..

So don't preach because you have been lucky..

All dealer service bays always have cars in them getting reparied..regardless where they came from. And the rest of your warranty only covers engine and transmission unless you upgraded. Dodge offers that for the life you own the car.

Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e. selected Engine and Transmission/Transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to Original Owner only effective with 2004 Model Year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999-2003 Model Years, coverage applies to Original Owner and immediate family members (i.e. wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5 year / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e. taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).
    http://www.hyundaiusa.com/global/warranty/warranty.aspx

Quicklane is run by Ford. It started up to take in the routine jobs and leave the service dept to the other repair issues. I don't feel I am being ripped off especially since other friends have gone their and have been quite pleased. I won't go to any other place than the one on Camp Rd.
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

I got all my vehicles from Northtown automotive and they have been nothing but great. They have honored every warranty issue ive had. In and out same day i call. Its an 03 model that came standard with a 10yr 100,000 mile power train warranty. i wasnt aware they dont offer that anymore as i havent purchased one since then. But, yes i got the extended warranty and it has paid for itself...y wouldnt anybody get it? your spending 30,000+ dollars and cant afford 1100 more for a piece of mind?

Sorry whoever u are talking about wasnt so "lucky" as u say....maybe he was just unlucky?
    Mark Twain:
    Surely the ass who invented the first religion ought to be the first ass damned
    Faith is believing in that which I know ain't so.

He was still under a new car warranty, it wasn't a warranty issue it was a paperwork issue, which they ignored. I also agree to get an extended warranty, but you talked about how well your warranty is to 100k miles, i have that on my vehicle and its not foreign, i have never had an issue where they didn.t warranty anything except tires, brakes, usual wear items.

Jerky Boys Auto Mechanics....

PLEASE don't let the children hear as there's some "R" rated language on this , but it's your typical auto mechanics & how they get hired......not really but it's funny , one of the best phone pranks I've ever heard.....
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Maybe you can find an independent shop that is factory authorized. Sometimes you can take your car in for another service and they can complete all the work. I'd check into it.

warranty work period is a joke all in its self. After my truck came off warranty it has never set one tire tread in a dealer ship service center and never will. Ill do all the work myself.

Also, american cars have a 12,000 mile, 12month warranty on bulbs.

Also, it should be noted, that the on board computer systems in new cars, are almost useless for diagnosing issues. I had a torque converter lock up issue which 4 different dealers could not locate as there was no 'idiot light' and then finally, my dad walked in there, with me carrying his o2 bottle, and my dad laid down the law right then and there... and told them ERXACTLY what the problem is with my truck and what to fix. He did that after 6 visits. It should be noted that my dad was not a mechanic either. After that, we found out its a solenoid on the torque converter that was failing, had that replaced 4x under warranty, after the 3rd replacement me and dad went back and demanded an actual FORD solenoid and not the aftermarket junk.

I also got a rim replaced under warranty as it was corroding a lil bit... Although that replacement probably had alot to do with the fact that my truck still looked, and smelled like a brand new truck after 30 months.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information