Thread: Workers agree to go without to save jobs

Workers agree to go without to save jobs

It was the kind of meeting that is taking place in restaurant kitchens, small offices, retail storerooms, and large auditoriums all over this city, all over this state, all over this country.

Paul Levy, the guy who runs Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, was standing in Sherman Auditorium the other day, before some of the very people to whom he might soon be sending pink slips.

In the days before the meeting, Levy had been walking around the hospital, noticing little things.

He stood at the nurses' stations, watching the transporters, the people who push the patients around in wheelchairs. He saw them talk to the patients, put them at ease, make them laugh. He saw that the people who push the wheelchairs were practicing medicine.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas..._with_a_heart/

I don't know if I'm imposing on your thread but, as I read the story posted about how employees "gave up" a three percent wage increase and some benefits to keep their fellow employees working it made me disgusted to see how ****ed up our state really has become.

Our illustrious State senator, Antoinette Thompson is proposing that workers get "more" benefits in light of the impending state implosion.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/605091.html

Now this idea may be a reasonable idea if the state had historic surpluses, and had problems recruiting employees but that's not the case.

..and we wonder why we (NYS) falls further into the abyss.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense View Post
    I don't know if I'm imposing on your thread but, as I read the story posted about how employees "gave up" a three percent wage increase and some benefits to keep their fellow employees working it made me disgusted to see how ****ed up our state really has become.

Our illustrious State senator, Antoinette Thompson is proposing that workers get "more" benefits in light of the impending state implosion.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/605091.html

Now this idea may be a reasonable idea if the state had historic surpluses, and had problems recruiting employees but that's not the case.

..and we wonder why we (NYS) falls further into the abyss.
    Not imposing at all, I was hoping someone would draw the correlation between the two stories actually.

Now we see that Antoine is backing off of the bill he sponsored, much like the bill last year he sponsored then got up on the Senate floor to voice his opinion against it.

Thread Information