Thread: Man survives plunge over Niagara Falls

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Man survives plunge over Niagara Falls

Man survives plunge over Niagara Falls

By Gary Bender

(CNN) -- A man went over Niagara Falls and survived Wednesday afternoon, one of the few people to ever survive the plunge unprotected, authorities said.

The man was seen entering the icy water just above Horseshoe Falls, on the Canadian side, and apparently jumped in about 2:15 p.m, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Fire Chief Lee Smith said.
    Smith said the unidentified man was in the near-freezing water for "40-plus" minutes before he was rescued by Niagara Parks Police and Niagara Falls firefighter Todd Brunning.
    Brunning, who was tethered to shore, swam about 60 meters (nearly 200 feet) into the river and was able to get hold of the man and bring him to shore.
    Niagara Parks Police initially used a helicopter from a private company, Niagara Falls Helicopters, to attempt a rescue of the man. When that failed, they used the wind from the chopper's rotors to push the man closer to shore, Smith said.
    Read the full story on CNN.com

Unregistered
    I'll never understand why emergency responders risk their lives to save someone from an obvious suicide attempt, such as this one.

How he could survive the icy cold waters, for 40 minutes, without dying from hypothermia is astonishing. Obviously, it wasn't this man's time to go.

Go figure, a solitary misfit who wanted nothing more than to kill himself endangers countless strangers who effect a rescue, only to provide the guy with fame (on infamy) down the road.

Inside Edition is enroute to Niagara Falls right now, checkbook in hand...

Gotta admit the Canadian side looks like a much nicer place to kill yourself...

If he truly intended to commit suicide, he should have done it in private and NOT endangered ANY rescue workers whose job SHOULD be to aid accident victims.

Not trying to sound heartless on this one but if this was a suicide attempt, the guy was being damned selfish.

--Few months ago while channel surfing I came across a rescue effort in which a guy was literally 10 feet or less from the brink of the falls and two rescue workers had gone in to save him as he was just "standing" in the water near the edge of the Falls.
    Man. My blood froze watching this;Didn't see the outcome and I'm glad I didn't.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

RISKING LIFE to save an unwanted life

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    I'll never understand why emergency responders risk their lives to save someone from an obvious suicide attempt, such as this one.

How he could survive the icy cold waters, for 40 minutes, without dying from hypothermia is astonishing. Obviously, it wasn't this man's time to go.
    FISH have to eat too!

I understand everyones thoughts on why should someone risk their own life to save someone else that wants to end theirs, but I would think that someone who is thinking of killing themselves is not in their right frame of mind at the time. Mental Illness is a disease folks, not to be taken lightly.

Thankfully I have never had to go through the scenario of a loved one who contemplated taking their own life, but I am sure it is a scary situation.

If insurance companies would make getting mental health care more affordable and attainable, perhaps we wouldn't have situations like this.

Just because you can't see a disability doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

i think that we should stop waisting tax payer money on this crap. Let these people jump to their death, it's called population control.

Now i know i will be attacked but this guy SWAM TOWARDS THE FALLS!!! He wanted to die and if his familly cared so much they would have been involved BEFORE he went crazy and jumped into the river!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    i think that we should stop waisting tax payer money on this crap. Let these people jump to their death, it's called population control.

Now i know i will be attacked but this guy SWAM TOWARDS THE FALLS!!! He wanted to die and if his familly cared so much they would have been involved BEFORE he went crazy and jumped into the river!
    No. "Population control" better known as EUGENICS has been openly practiced by most governments of the world in the 20th and 21st centuries.

As an example: Those who have tried to commit suicide by jumping into the Niagara River requiring the rescue from emergency personal ARE selfish;Not "selfish to their families & friends" but for putting total strangers in danger;These kind of "public suicides" sicken me" but then again, when one is so depressed that you just don't care about anything, you have a crushing blackness and see NOTHING good in your future, nothing to look forward to and you've just had enough from life, then perhaps you (rhetorically) don't think about HOW you're going to kill yourself, you just do it, even if it means putting the lives of innocents (rescue workers) in danger, selfish as I STILL think it is-Just TRYING to look into the mind of the person committing suicide.

And although I am loathe to speculate on a subject so grim,
    we've ALREADY seen a national increase in suicides as the economy worsens.

You know. This thread got me thinking (yes, I really DO think sometimes!)-

Maybe we should have a mental illness thread(s) ESP given the high rate of suicide for our Iraqi War vets AND the increasing number of those killing themselves because of the economy.

"Huh! Duh! Heh! And you could be the moderator for them there crazy threads, Dumbfounded! Huh!"
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

"Falls jumper in serious condition."
    "He was in the water for over 40 minutes"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

If he ends up brain dead*, or on a heart-vent machine for years, guess who pays the outrageous bill for the medical care?

The Canadian Government, that's who.

Fortunately for us, he floated to their side.

*On the bright side, if brain death occurs, he has a future as a Niagara Falls politician.

Thread Information