Thread: Buffalo News averages 478K daily readers

Buffalo News averages 478K daily readers

The Buffalo News ranks 54th among America's newspapers in terms of daily readership, based on figures released Monday by the Newspaper Association of America.

The report released on Monday shows that USA Today has the highest readership of any U.S. daily newspaper, and that five other papers have more than 2 million readers per day:

USA Today, 7.1 million
    Wall Street Journal, 5.1 million
    New York Times, 5.0 million
    New York Daily News, 2.7 million
    Los Angeles Times, 2.4 million
    New York Post, 2.1 million
    Rounding out the top 10 are the Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, Newsday (of Long Island) and the Chicago Sun-Times.

Three other upstate newspapers joined The Buffalo News on the list of the nation's 100 most-read papers. The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle is 67th, the Syracuse Post-Standard is 82nd, and the Albany Times-Union is 90th.

NADbase, which is based on telephone interviews conducted by Scarborough Research, will be released each spring and fall. It can be accessed at www.naa.org/nadbase.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/s...ml?jst=b_ln_hl
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Re: Buffalo News averages 478K daily readers

Originally posted by steven
    The Buffalo News ranks 54th among America's newspapers in terms of daily readership, based on figures released Monday by the Newspaper Association of America.

The report released on Monday shows that USA Today has the highest readership of any U.S. daily newspaper, and that five other papers have more than 2 million readers per day:

USA Today, 7.1 million
    Wall Street Journal, 5.1 million
    New York Times, 5.0 million
    New York Daily News, 2.7 million
    Los Angeles Times, 2.4 million
    New York Post, 2.1 million
    Rounding out the top 10 are the Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, Newsday (of Long Island) and the Chicago Sun-Times.

Three other upstate newspapers joined The Buffalo News on the list of the nation's 100 most-read papers. The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle is 67th, the Syracuse Post-Standard is 82nd, and the Albany Times-Union is 90th.

NADbase, which is based on telephone interviews conducted by Scarborough Research, will be released each spring and fall. It can be accessed at www.naa.org/nadbase.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/s...ml?jst=b_ln_hl
    No accounting for taste!

On Saturday, I got a call from our News delivery person that offerred me an upgrade from my current 3-day subscription (Sat/Sun/Mon) to one year of full week subscription at the same price as I currently pay. In other words, 4 days per week free for a year. Obviously the subscription numbers are being padded by these free offers. Naturally I took the offer (even though it makes me a hippocrate to some).

This proves again that newspapers are old media. Without padding their subscriptions with free offers, they will continue to die. I will not mourn their passing.

Has anyone else gotten this offer? If you already subscribe to full week coverage, you are being ripped off!

For a few months I had Sunday only service. A few times we didn't get the paper. Often the coupons were missing, which was one of the few reasons we were actually getting the paper. I finally cancelled it, and told them the above reasons, and they almost begged me to stay and said they would guarantee that I would always get my coupons. I passed. Obviously, they couldn't guarantee that, or I wouldn't have had a reason to cancel.

Essentially, it comes down to the fact that the news in the paper is always at least a day late. And I find the physicality of reading a newspaper cumbersome. Instant news online is the way of the very near future. If they were smart, that's where they'd be focusing their efforts.

Originally posted by buffknut
    On Saturday, I got a call from our News delivery person that offerred me an upgrade from my current 3-day subscription (Sat/Sun/Mon) to one year of full week subscription at the same price as I currently pay. In other words, 4 days per week free for a year. Obviously the subscription numbers are being padded by these free offers. Naturally I took the offer (even though it makes me a hippocrate to some).

This proves again that newspapers are old media. Without padding their subscriptions with free offers, they will continue to die. I will not mourn their passing.

Has anyone else gotten this offer? If you already subscribe to full week coverage, you are being ripped off!
    That is not technically padding. If you actually receive the paper and you read it you are a subscriber. The advertisers don't care if you pay for the paper or not. They just care about how many people read the paper and see their add.

Padding would be dumping 100 papers at a corner for people to pick up and claiming that that represents 100 subscribers when it could represent as few as zero subscribers

Me Too!!

Originally posted by buffknut

Exact same situation here..I happend to answer the phone, and said "sure", my wife then complained "You won't even read it" then said "we will have a ton of paper come recyling day..."

She is right. I hate when that happens.

BTW, She noted they had been calling for weeks, and she always said no.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

When the Buffalo News calls me, I always tell them that I like reading the paper online & it's free that way

y2000
    Originally posted by Night Owl
    When the Buffalo News calls me, I always tell them that I like reading the paper online & it's free that way
    Same here. And its alot easier to cut and paste the article to a thread when its on line. The old way got glue all over the monitor.

Thread Information