Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Speed Train From Buffalo to Albany?

High Speed Train From Buffalo to Albany?

The stimulus money is coming. Our Governor is proposing a high speed rail train from Buffalo to Albany. This will be just another train from no place going to no place. Sounds like it will be just like our downtown rapid transit system. We all know what a great people mover that was. They now are talking about removing the rapid transit system.

When the Federal subsidy runs out. Can this high speed train support itself? I doubt it. Those who are employed by this high speed train will fight like hell to keep it going at the taxpayers expense.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna View Post
    The stimulus money is coming. Our Governor is proposing a high speed rail train from Buffalo to Albany. This will be just another train from no place going to no place. Sounds like it will be just like our downtown rapid transit system. We all know what a great people mover that was. They now are talking about removing the rapid transit system.

When the Federal subsidy runs out. Can this high speed train support itself? I doubt it. Those who are employed by this high speed train will fight like hell to keep it going at the taxpayers expense.

Actually, the way "Albany" (read state government) is setting this up, Albany, NY is positioned to be a major metro area.
    Deep down, I think "Albany" is trying to make that city the #2 in NYS ahead of Buffalo.

You may be right

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Actually, the way "Albany" (read state government) is setting this up, Albany, NY is positioned to be a major metro area.
    Deep down, I think "Albany" is trying to make that city the #2 in NYS ahead of Buffalo.
    You may be right. Albany may pass Buffalo as an economic center. If so then there is no reason for the high speed train. There will be nobody left in Buffalo to take the train to Albany.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

I stayed in Albany a couple years ago and was shocked. There are several old abandoned buildings directly across the street from the NYS Capitol and the whole city rolls its sidewalks up after 5pm. Even on Saturdays. It needs far more work than Buffalo does.

It's a shame though. It's another beautiful city, in a great setting and has some beautiful old buildings.
    “Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

PS - my point here is that there is currently NOTHING besides dysfunctional state politics to make Albany a hub of anything. Buffalo and Niagara Falls have far more going for them.
    “Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

Unregistered
    Buffalo & Niagara Falls have more going for them? dude, take a look around! The only thing "going" is workers and business! Going away! THe only thing a new train system is going to do is help everyone leave faster!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller View Post
    I stayed in Albany a couple years ago and was shocked. There are several old abandoned buildings directly across the street from the NYS Capitol and the whole city rolls its sidewalks up after 5pm. Even on Saturdays. It needs far more work than Buffalo does.

It's a shame though. It's another beautiful city, in a great setting and has some beautiful old buildings.
    Growing up near there, Albany HAS utilized it's water front a little better than Buffalo. They have cleaned up one side of the river and it does look decent! the other side is another issue since it's not technically Albany. They do have alot of similar summer events as Buffalo short of some of the art stuff, but with Saratoga within 30 min drive it more than makes up for it.

A lot of cities in the state have GREAT possibility, but white plight and poloticians have ruinded them!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

PS - my point here is that there is currently NOTHING besides dysfunctional state politics to make Albany a hub of anything. Buffalo and Niagara Falls have far more going for them.
    As i said in another post, you must remember Albany IS much more of a hub as it's centrally located for the NE's 4 largest cities, NYC, BOSTON, Toronto and Montreal/Quebec. Additionally it's the "gateway" for 2 large mountain chains and state parks.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Driving the 90 West from Boston to Albany, I was excited and impressed at the spectacular presence the city has and what a great first impression it makes. Even when we drove around and found a hotel, I was still impressed at the beautiful old buildings. It wasn't until we tried to find some place open (at 6pm on a Saturday night) and had to walk to Lark St. and down it aways that I noticed the abandoned buildings.

I'm not sure what New York's solutions are. They're probably not hidden within high speed rail projects, but I believe that this could be a good solution for the future, when oil prices go back to much higher levels and STAY there.

As i said in another post, you must remember Albany IS much more of a hub
    Don't get me wrong, Dougles, I'm all for Albany being a hub. As mentioned in the other HSR thread though, there can be more than one. Albany is a totally different city than Buffalo and the same goes for Niagara Falls.

And Truth, Buffalo Niagara has millions of tourists traveling to the area each year. You can't blame the lack of prosperity solely on the politicians.

Unregistered
    , Buffalo Niagara has millions of tourists traveling to the area each year.
    How is this number arrived at? What do you consider "area"? Canada, N.Falls? Do locals attending "tourist activities" count in this number? And what do you assume the tourists are here for? Must be the million people in attendence for the Allentown Art Festival. Erie County Fair? I think that as usual the estimates are HIGHLY inflated to make it look like more is happening.

How is this number arrived at? What do you consider "area"? Canada, N.Falls? Do locals attending "tourist activities" count in this number? And what do you assume the tourists are here for? Must be the million people in attendence for the Allentown Art Festival. Erie County Fair? I think that as usual the estimates are HIGHLY inflated to make it look like more is happening.
    I live near Niagara Falls and go there a LOT in the summer. Both on the New York and Canadian side. Yes, there are MILLIONS of tourists that come to the "area". I see them.

My point is that you can take Canada with their exchange rates, PSTs and GSTs and the businesses still flourish because there is something to do there.

Unregistered
    Exactly - Its called Business! Private sector ! Sure the Canadian side is a tourist trap. So is the Eiffel Tower, the Grate Wall, whatever. But Business is thriving on the Canadian side because there are open businesses. When I take friends to see the falls we joke that they have to keep their eyes closed until we are at the customs booth! Throw all of the government money at it, Niagara Falls NY will be nothing for a long time. But build a high speed train to go nowhere? And charge more $ to take a longer ride on a train than in the air? Just doesn't calculate. Watch how fast the Canadians put up buildings. No politics to get in the way. You want a building permit?.... here you go. Not so here in the States. Preservation study. Impact studies. Payoffs. Bribes. Historical obstacles. Debates. Been there, trust me. Until the machine is fixed don't add on options.

With the "stolen" power from WNY, Albany has emerged as a major power player in the technology sector.

Because of pork from Albany to the Albany region, a $4.2BILLION computer chip factory will be built in Albany.

Because of pork from Albany to the Albany region, the University of Albany has a nanotechnology program that is growing and is a complement to tech sector.

The vision of Albany is to be the tech hub of the east. Unlike Buffalo, Albany wants to enter into the 21st century in terms of jobs. The reason they are able to do this is because the government jobs are mostly STATE jobs and the burden is shared with places like Buffalo.

They are essentially following the road map of Silicon Valley and Standford, which grew up from "nothing" in the last 40 years.

While people in WNY look for low-skill/high wage/union jobs...Albany is going a completely different direction funded on the backs of state taxpayers.

Put it this way...the moment high speed train travel connects Albany to NYC on a consistent basis...Albany is going to blow up. In a good way.

Put it this way...the moment high speed train travel connects Albany to NYC on a consistent basis...Albany is going to blow up. In a good way.
    I really hope so, Left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information