Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eliminate the Property Tax's Investment Penalty

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Again, I respect your opinion - when did you leave WNY?

Grassroots support - is there also a problem in your mind with this "Political Group"?

I also believe the lady in question - Karla Thomas - wasn't she relieved from that position ? I believe so !

So, if you could explain how any other candidate would be better ? Which "Plan for fiscal Reform" do you support and why?

Throwing blame and misinformation - guilt by implied association doesn't equal a viable solution.

Thanks.

I left Buffalo years ago but 'follow Buffalo and WNY' much more than most locals.

I don't think there is a problem with Grassroots in itself. The amount of power they have in the COB is a problem.

As for Karla, yes she was fired but IT TOOK ALMOST A YEAR. I was told by a 'not an insider but not on the outside' friend that she initially resisted due to the hopes that the issue would blow over. When it didn't, she was eventually fired.

Of course, what we have not mentioned is she was eventually rehired into the system by Betty Jean Grant, who also has deep grassroots connections. Essentially, incompetence has no long term punishment in Buffalo.

I am not throwing any misinformation. You just can't deal with facts. You're perception that Brown did a good job is a main reason why so many people have left the city. There are just too many who want to turn a blind eye to incompetence that there is no point in trying to stay and fix things.

As for who I would support? Nobody. That's the sad truth. There is not going to be a candidate in Buffalo in my lifetime that I would support. My vote apparently is not as easy as yours to gain. Who's your employer again?

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    You're correct. I know of several teachers who call Amherst home but keep a place in the city for their job.
    Wrong again Frank, residency rules no longer apply, although I wouldn't dispute them if they were reinstated for ALL city employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    Wrong again Frank, residency rules no longer apply, although I wouldn't dispute them if they were reinstated for ALL city employees.
    How long ago did this change take place?

Regardless, it was a joke. Go cash your paycheck.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You know who loses while the "adults" make sure they get theirs? the kids... Whether it is salary or votes.

It is always about money. If it wasn't there would be pay cuts to save the jobs of those who are cut.

I choose to try and find a way out of the status quo - instead of running away or just throwing hand grenades.

Its not surprising Mr Matthew.Ricchiazzi doesn't have a answer to the question posed , "If you freeze property taxes - how do you make up the lost revenue"?

The cost of services will continue to rise - the number of jobless hasn't changed -

Sir, "how would you pull in new companies to create jobs"

Thanks in advance for your response.

OPEN INVITATION : Looking forward to hearing from any candidate who has a plan.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Its not surprising Mr Matthew.Ricchiazzi doesn't have a answer to the question posed , "If you freeze property taxes - how do you make up the lost revenue"?
    There is no "lost" revenue. There just isn't any more revenue unless the economic engine increases in the city. Then revenue increases if property values go up and businesses fill vacant spots increasing revenue.

How long ago did this change take place?

Regardless, it was a joke. Go cash your paycheck.
    The last time was about 4 years ago. Either way, I will certainly cash my paycheck because I have earned it.

Correction: What I meant is if assessments are kept static.

Where will the money come from to pay future salaries and costs of services.

Its not totally honest to present that you can hold the line on home/property taxes - without raising something else.

How do you do this and not raise something else?

He also stated, "allowing the city to tax only a property's last transacted value" - so if you buy a property for a dollar - your assessed on a dollar ? !

(hypothetical) Please explain if a vacant house is assessed at $20,000. is sold at a foreclosure auction for a dollar - under his proposal - the assessment is now $1.00 - how does that not lesson the amount of property taxes collected ?
    Last edited by 4248; June 17th, 2013 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    The last time was about 4 years ago. Either way, I will certainly cash my paycheck because I have earned it.
    I am sure you taught the test to perfection and kept good attendance records. Double thumbs up.

I am sure you taught the test to perfection and kept good attendance records. Double thumbs up.
    Nice. I thought you would regale me with tales of website development that would be sure to wow even the most jaded CSS manipulator.

politician is a fancy word for liar.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

"If you freeze property taxes - how do you make up the lost revenue"?

I am far more concerned with streamlining services; automating service delivery where possible; and increasing labor productivity. Each of these will lead to cost savings.

I hope to reduce our operating budget significantly, so that we can migrate those resources towards the capital budget, in order to fund infrastructure investments.

I want the government to feel pressure to cut costs. Under my plan, increasing property tax rates would be more politically unpalatable -- because the politicians will be unable to play the game that they play today: increasing spending while claiming to be holding the line on taxes.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Correction: What I meant is if assessments are kept static.

Where will the money come from to pay future salaries and costs of services.

Its not totally honest to present that you can hold the line on home/property taxes - without raising something else.

How do you do this and not raise something else?

He also stated, "allowing the city to tax only a property's last transacted value" - so if you buy a property for a dollar - your assessed on a dollar ? !

(hypothetical) Please explain if a vacant house is assessed at $20,000. is sold at a foreclosure auction for a dollar - under his proposal - the assessment is now $1.00 - how does that not lesson the amount of property taxes collected ?
    You don't. You don't put things into contracts that are open ended to cost. You also don't give raises based only on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew.Ricchiazzi View Post
    "If you freeze property taxes - how do you make up the lost revenue"?

I am far more concerned with streamlining services; What services and how do you "Streamline" them ?

"automating service delivery where possible" What services would you "Automate and how?"

"increasing labor productivity" How and where would these increases be achieved?

"Each of these will lead to cost savings" - "what kind of savings from where?".

I hope to reduce our operating budget significantly "by how many yearly dollars?",

so that we can migrate those resources towards the capital budget, in order to fund infrastructure investments."What type infra structure repairs - where?"

I want the government to feel pressure to cut costs. Under my plan, increasing property tax rates would be more politically unpalatable -- because the politicians will be unable to play the game that they play today: increasing spending while claiming to be holding the line on taxes.
    So far we are starting to open up some dialog - now lets get to the meat - heres an opportunity to put forth some solid plans. I am not trying to trip you up - I encourage change - tell us how you will achieve that change. This way we can help you as time goes by - should you win - we can show people how you did what you promised.

I cant speak for anyone else - but - put up some concrete solutions and I'll put signs up for you and tell everyone I can you have a plan. Fair enough !

Matthew.Ricchiazzi:

I hate to rain on your parade but I believe that NYS law requires municipalities to periodically reassess all properties within their jurisdictions to prevent exactly what you're proposing to do: freeze assessments at some point in time despite changes in the value of properties. I believe that there may have been some court cases on this issue that prompted the state law. When I lived in Buffalo in the 1980s, the city was forced to do a reassessment exactly because assessments were so out of whack with reality.

For somebody who wants to run for public office, you don't seem to understand much about the limits on the office that you are pursuing since you advocate mayoral interference in the running of the city schools, which is also illegal.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information