Thread: Teacher's Web rage

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Teacher's Web rage

http://nydailynews.com/front/story/346930p-296025c.html

-----------------

Randi Weingarten

Outraged over proposed contract givebacks, city teachers unleashed their fury yesterday - attacking their own labor boss, Randi Weingarten, and Mayor Bloomberg.
    "We were screwed," an instructor wrote on Edwize.org, a teachers union Web site.

"Atrocious," another fumed.

"Makes me think of what kind of lawyer Randi was ...We start with givebacks and we are OK with this!!!" another ranted. "I am saddened by my union."

A state panel issued a report earlier this week that calls for teachers to sacrifice seniority transfers, give up the ability to challenge negative evaluations and return to hallway patrol and lunchroom duty in exchange for an 11.4% raise over three years.

The arbitration panel also endorsed making the teachers work at least three more days a year, instruct students an extra 10 minutes a day and give up several free periods. The recommendations - which Weingarten solicited in December in a bid to jump-start negotiations - are not binding, but should be the basis for a future contract.

"Randi bet the farm on a favorable arbitration result and got bit on the backside," a teacher argued on Edwize.org.

The teachers contract expired in May 2003.

"I totally and completely understand their frustration," Weingarten told the Daily News. "Teachers have been working without a contract for 2-1/2 years and make 15% less than suburban teachers. They worked incredibly hard. ... Of course there is anger out there."

More of the story

11.4%?
    I think any public sector union in Buffalo would love a contract like that. Even the teachers.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

I hope they strike

I think any City teachers should be paid more than those in the suburbs. City teachers have so much more to do than just teach. I can't imagine the discipline problems they have to deal with. As well the social , emotional problems . Daddy is in jail and momma is smoking crack. I don't see these kids having much of a chance. I feel sorry for the Teachers who see this day to day. I'm sure in NYC it is worse.

This story is from NYC

Bloomberg has not endorsed the recommendations, citing looming deficits. "The mayor gave the teachers their biggest raise in history in the last contract and wants to negotiate another one," his spokesman Ed Skyler said yesterday.

y2000

Re: I hope they strike

Originally posted by Treeguy
    I think any City teachers should be paid more than those in the suburbs. City teachers have so much more to do than just teach. I can't imagine the discipline problems they have to deal with. As well the social , emotional problems . Daddy is in jail and momma is smoking crack. I don't see these kids having much of a chance. I feel sorry for the Teachers who see this day to day. I'm sure in NYC it is worse.
    Not everyone in the city is a crack whore on welfare with 6 kids each from a different father. Some of us have real jobs and take care of our kids and read to them.

A state panel issued a report earlier this week that calls for teachers to sacrifice seniority transfers, give up the ability to challenge negative evaluations and return to hallway patrol and lunchroom duty in exchange for an 11.4% raise over three years.

The arbitration panel also endorsed making the teachers work at least three more days a year, instruct students an extra 10 minutes a day and give up several free periods. The recommendations - which Weingarten solicited in December in a bid to jump-start negotiations - are not binding, but should be the basis for a future contract.
    Assume play!
    A step in the right direction.

Originally posted by citymouse
    11.4%?
    I think any public sector union in Buffalo would love a contract like that. Even the teachers.
    I may be incorrect, but I beleive the NYC teachers, in relation to Buffalo's teachers, actually pay much less when cost-of-living is factored in. I beleive gross pay is actually not that far off between the two.

y2000
    Originally posted by morphinebrian
    I may be incorrect, but I beleive the NYC teachers, in relation to Buffalo's teachers, actually pay much less when cost-of-living is factored in. I beleive gross pay is actually not that far off between the two.
    I've applied for some NYS Civil Service jobs in the past and any job assigned to NYC was given and extra $2250 a year at the time. That's not a lot of money for NYC.

y2000

Why did you move from the East Side to South Bflo ?

y2000

Re: y2000

what area of the city do you live ? I doubt you live on Gibson, Loepere, Sweet or Goodyear.

Nope, I moved 15 years ago. I lived on Newton, my mom still lives there.

I had friends on Gibson, Sweet and Goodyear. Not Loepere though. I went to Corpus Christi until 6th grade when it closed then to St. Stans.

y2000

Re: y2000

Why did you move from the East Side to South Bflo ?
    You changed the post on me.

I moved when I got married. My inlaws had an apartment for rent in South Buffalo. We got a deal on the rent so that's where we went.

I would like to see a chart with the number of children in the city schools that have either a single , or no parent household. On top of that , how many are being raised by Grandparents. Alot of city kids don't have a parent to read to them , teach them from right and wrong. This burden is put on the Teachers. They have so much more to do than teach. It is my belief this is the root of the problem in city schools. I would remedy this with multiple "alternative" schools. Where kids that aren't in school to learn would be sent. Don't let them bring down the kids that want to learn.

y2000
    Actually when I signed up the youngest at the BPS central registration there is a form that you needed to fill out along those lines. It included foster homes, grandparents shelters, bridges, alleys, and abandoned buildings. It was a rather interesting question that I'd like to see the answer to.

How do you convince the parent/guardian that their child needs to be in this school? I'm not disagreeing just asking. I could see the ACLU all over this. Think how they would treat the idea. They would bring race into it immediatly since most of the poor in Buffalo are black. They would bring up a parents right of over their children, they could bring up a childs right for education. Years would go byas the idea was argued in court. Parents crying on the news saying how good they treat their kids and why is the city abusing them.

Thread Information