Thread: ABC: Obama administration announces plan to ban "Assault weapons"

ABC: Obama administration announces plan to ban "Assault weapons"

Citing internal problems in Mexico and campaign promises, Attorney General Holder announced today that the Obama administration will seek to ban all so-called assault weapons.

As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons

Unregistered
    A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

Grenades???? So let me get this straight. Mexico is having problems fighting drug cartels, so we give up OUR rights to help them out? Must be part of the stimulate package I didn't read about. Hate to sound like one of them "black helicopter" guys, but WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

My 2¢.

This is stupid. Previous bans have shown that criminals are not impacted at all. Walk through the east or west side of Buffalo and tell me if you think NY state's "Strict" gun laws make you safer. All they do is disarm people like you and I who obey the law.

Next, criminals do not use these weapons on a regular basis. They are tough to use in untrained hands, expensive, and hard to conceal. Your average gang-banger is going to get himself a junk pistol or something. Finally, these bills only ban "cosmetic" features on a firearm, things that can be easily circumvented.

All this is going to do is rapidly increase the price of an "assault weapon" for law abiding people. Criminals can still find theirs if they really want it. You and I pay, but the gang bangers won't be inconvenienced. If the President is concerned with crime he should do something that actually addresses it, not lobby to pass measures that just look good to the uninformed people at home.

Post-script: This would be a very risky step for Obama to take. Clinton got his ban passed in 1994, but it cost him Congress and kept the Democrats out of power for 12 years. They pass this, and everybody in "purple" areas will flock to the GOP again.

the mexican criminals aren't getting guns in the US
    if anything they're the ones getting illegal guns into criminal hands in the US by smuggling them into the US not out.

Obama has been antigun since day 1, he's just using this as an excuse to do what he and the vast majority of democrats have always wanted
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Hey! HEY!! Try and be fair!!
    IF Obama IS in on the fascist takeover of America,
    he's just trying to be a nice guy by making it easy as possible for the army, national guard, law enforcement and Blackwater to round some of us up, pack us in trains and send us of to re-education camp!

A well-armed free populace is a threat to a fascist regime.
    Why do you think the media has kept us divided, confused and afraid as much as possible?
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    But for now the internet will keep people organized.

Until they control the internet!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    But for now the internet will keep people organized.

HAH!

If "they" thought that ANYTHING, the web included posed a threat to their plans to rule everything-The internet (in the U.S.) would "experience a temporary blackout, which could be spun by the media into a "cyber terrorist attack" making it "OK" to declare martial law.

Look, all conspiracy accusations aside, our govt-corporations;Media have pretty much shown us their true colors and as much as I WANT to believe the Obama's the real thing, there are events already in motion beyond even a powerful idealist's control and come on.

The Pres of the U.S. is NOT the "most powerful" person on the planet anymore!

And "they" have kept us divided so WELL that truthfully, bringing hundreds of millions of Americans together in protest alone would be cause to declare total martial law making even a PEACEFUL revolution impossible as we'd all be yelling (speaking) down the barrel of a gun (or tank).

The ONLY way there's going to be ANY major reform would be if one of the D.C. or other power brokers found their conscience and staged a coup for the sake of preserving our Democracy and that ain't never gonna happen just as the internet would never be allowed to even PREPARE U.S. citizens for a "hypothetical" takeover by our govt/armed forces not that most of us would take "conspiracy nut" threats seriously as the media would laugh, joke, cajole and mock those "alarmists" among us even as MORE oppressive & freedom-limiting legislation passes (IF it does).

Course I hope I'm wrong. I don't want to find my voice in a "nightmAmerica" and tell strangers, POSSIBLY on FEMA train
    "see! I told you guys that the government was going to declare martial law!"
    Last edited by Dumbfounded; February 27th, 2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: added a few things
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

no offense DF, but come on.

The people in this country are so damned brain dead it doesnt matter anymore. you could have proof, in black and white, for the world to see that the presidency has been bought out, and as long as the Govt says its not true, people will do nothing. we have programmed to not question authority. We are lied to in our schools. We are lied to in our media, and we are lied to by our 'elected' officials.

The information is on the wb, for the world to see. Govt dont care. you know why? cause its all a conspiracy, its nothing but BS, remember?

And if the govt control the internet?

LOL your a funny man. Because as of 2002, 85% of the ENTIRE internet, goes thruogh Virginia, giving Virginia courts, jurisdiction over the net.

I found this out when my buddy got sued over some internet crap... If the govt wanted to, they could turn the internet off to the world.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    the Mexican criminals aren't getting guns in the US.
    if anything they're the ones getting illegal guns into criminal hands in the US by smuggling them into the US not out.
    You're correct. I used to know a Guatemalan guy who ran guns from Mexico to Los-Angels. Apparently, it was a fairly lucrative business until he got caught.

Thread Information